Cratch cover..... Why?

kremmen

Featured Posts

Speaking as a chap who has made scores of the boards, I have noted that boaters use them for various purposes, additional room, good place to leave wet clothing or washing, soggy dogs, and muddy boots. They help to keep the boat interior clean and dry and protect those swish hardwood front doors from the weather. Equipped with seating and a folding table you can have an outdoor dining area or just a store room for all manner of things.

I prefer to see them fitted in away that allows both the cover and board to be easily removed if you want when cruising. This means using a couple of plugs and sockets for the wiring to disconnect the lamp and horn. One advantage that hasn't been mentioned is the prevention of flooding the front deck and getting water in the boat when some "helper" throws up a gate paddle early and tries to send you to the bottom.

I have a cratch cover. They go green/manky and are a bitch to clean. They tear and leak over time though I use it as a room so I couldn't easily do without it.

Is it feasible to have the boat extended with steel panels in place of a cratch, perhaps with side hatches for access? I've not seen any other boats like that so I'm guessing there must be a reason.

Edited by Armitage Shanks

Having read about ventilation requirements, just got a boat with large vent in door and an extra added though an adjacent cupboard I' m reading this thread and thinking my cratch cover is pretty well draught proof. How does that work?

Edit: cancel that, there's an inch wide gap right along the bottom of the board.

Edited by boathunter

I have a cratch cover. They go green/manky and are a bitch to clean.

So do I, but no it doesn't and no it isn't.

Mine's pvc coated, it doesn't go green but, if it did, stuff wipes off easily. Funnily enough, it was taken off and cleaned today - firstly with washed with lock-keepers secret and then sponged over with a vinyl and leather treatment. It's 8 years old and came up a treat! :)

I wouldn't be without mine. As a live aboard I've managed to avoid using it as storage space except for a few small items. I call it my conservatory.

It's my space, my sanctuary. At all times of year I regularly sit in there reading a book or sat with my laptop, often with headphones on listening to my music while the misses watches all those tiresome TV lifestyle or reality programmes or soaps inside the boat.

I can sit and observe the wildlife and other nature around me, occasionally a kingfisher has perched on the headlight less than 2 feet away from me, the ducks and swans often come up to me for a chat.

If out on the 'cut' I can watch other boats and boaters either on the move or moored nearby, or the occasional fit young 'filly' jogging by on the towpath biggrin.png .

Whether moored or on the move if it's a hot and sunny day I can unzip and roll up the sides. It is possible to completely remove it but we've never found the need.

We get on and off the boat at the other end so I suppose that makes a difference as I can appreciate it may be a inconvenience to those who use the bow end.

I have a cratch cover. They go green/manky and are a bitch to clean. They tear and leak over time though I use it as a room so I couldn't easily do without it.

Is it feasible to have the boat extended with steel panels in place of a cratch, perhaps with side hatches for access? I've not seen any other boats like that so I'm guessing there must be a reason.

At Crick today:

Sorry but I still prefer my fabric cover, more versatile.

7NINpur.jpg

we have a PVC tonnoeau cover on the front and have just ordered a complete cratch at Crick to give us more space , we are having a frame version rather than a cratch board so we can remove it easily and have a zipped front to allow gas bottle to be put into locker easily as our pontoons are shorter than the boat .

I like having the front au natrelle in high summer when the sun is beaming but having the option of sitting out in winter or when cihillier with just one side open with a beer is really nice . Just think they make the front a more versitle space esp when living aboard as its effectily an extra room . Same at back we have pram over stern and its a god send with large dog when raining and for drying the washing etc

I do agree that PVC is way to go as just wipes clean and no green mould or bird poo problems . Dont look quite as nice as pristine canvas but canvas dont stay pristine for long in my experiece