wide beam southern cruisers

fergyguy

Featured Posts

hi i would love to hear from any wb cc on the southern waterways as to can and can not reach places working down from northampton...if you have been cruising some time I'm sure your advise will be invaluable to us in planning our future on the water..our wb will be 57 or 60 x 12 just so you have some idea of the boat size...any help or advise would be really appreciated..thank you.

Edited by fergyguy

Advice here is dont do it.

I had 60x12 barge based near Berko ended up never cruising the canal just dashing to Brentford to get on the Thames. We Sold it and bought a narrowboat.......

• Greenie 1

I helped Mike Bonin (Blackrose) move his a few times on the GU, he reckoned that Cowroast Summit was the realistic limit, and as that wasn't an especially useful place to get to, Berkhamstead was as far as he regularly went. I think Berko is as far as the wide beam commercial boats regularly traded.

The problem is mainly channel width - Mike was very patient and looked well ahead even down Uxbridge way, basically a 60 foot by 12 foot boat gets in the way a lot (or you could perceive it as other people getting in the way of you!) so he would pull into a gap, let people come the other way and get going again: this reduces the distance covered each day but certainly when I was with him it made the cruising stress free. Another tactic would be to cruise early morning or late evening when others are all tied up.

My view (and it is only my view) is that 12 feet is less of a problem on the K and A but you still need to think ahead especially if you see another wide beam coming towards you. However if you go a bit wider, as for some reason people do, and go to 13 feet you'll be a bit of a nuisance to others.

Another note, on the K and A my perception is that the dutch barge style boats manage better, but that may be down to crew competence rather than vessel type.

If you really want carefree extended cruising in a wide beam, the north is the place to be, it's the narrow boats that are the interlopers up there

hi loddon so are you telling me theres not enough wide water to cc a wb in the south? really?

No I'm just saying its a pain in the ass and not relaxing.

I covered all the GU, Lea, Stort, Wey and Thames, best place for a boat that size is east of Tower Bridge providing its seaworthy, which the barge was.

Interesting that Loddon I will see how many others on hear have suffered the same experiences as your good self before I commit to the south lol....good job there's plenty to see and do up north for us...just don't fancy a nb despite fully understanding we will miss a lot of the waterways.

magpie patrick, on 03 May 2016 - 12:38 PM, said:

Another note, on the K and A my perception is that the dutch barge style boats manage better, but that may be down to crew competence rather than vessel type.

If you really want carefree extended cruising in a wide beam, the north is the place to be, it's the narrow boats that are the interlopers up there

I can only talk about the Thames - I see widebeams escaping from the T&K marina and they have difficulty navigating even that wide river.

WB's are great for living on - but they are in effect stretched NBs; in copying the hull shape they lose manoeuvrability- big time.

10ft versions seem to handle better.

I had a Sagar marine DB style boat moored near me - beautiful boat loads of room inside and easy to navigate, so I echo the comment above.

If you truly want to cruise - then get a boat to suit that. If you just want to liveaboard and not cruise then a WB - but there's no crossover point.

All very E&OE and IMHO....

I cover a lot of ground in a widebeam without any problems, It depends on who built the shell as to how well it handles! I have just reversed into a finger mooring without any problems but seen narrowboats struggle to do the same

I reckon there's plenty to see and do up north to be getting on with before considering southern waters lol such as peterboat have been cruising the North in a wb for some years so I think I will follow his advise....but not convinced (yet) that those with wb in the south all choose to live on a mooring or in a marina surely there are some cc who will defend wb cruising on the southern waters?

Mike Blackrose maintains his widebeam is no more difficult to handle than a narrow boat. His boat "Black Rose" is a Liverpool Boats shell, in case that helps.

Down here on the K&A there are quite a few widebeams but I almost never actually see one on the move. They certainly move about but at least 99 out of 100 boats passing me when moored up are narrow boats. I conclude from this there is something that discourages widebeams from going out cruising on a whim, or for the fun of it. I could be wrong but it looks to me as though moving a widebeam is a bit of a trial and a narrow boat is a lot easier. Mike Blackrose always contradicted me in the past when I suggested this though (before he left the site in high dudgeon)!

Hi mike comments noted....as yet never handled a wb you could be right regards handling being a reason why many stay tied up....to me it seems pointless having such a craft hooked to the bank all or most of the time....we are not looking to cruise each and every day but we will be cc 52 weeks a year staying on a mooring for as long as we find the surroundings good to discover within our 14 day limit. I wonder if it's down to mind set of the owners...maybe they want to just live on the water so happy to stay put or perhaps they had intended cc but had a few issues so have headed for the safety of a mooring? I believe there is every possibility to cruise a wb at least on the northern waters without being restricted to a small stretch of water. I have spent time on a nb cruising and found it a good experience and I do get why so many choose a nb over a wb but hey it would not be good if we were all the same would it?

Hi ditchcrawler I mentioned Northampton simply as being upper southern waters I was aware I would need to turn a 12 feet wb on its side to get from Northampton area...I'm keen but not that keen lol

12ft will be tight but you should be able to get to Birmingham rather than Northamptonshire.

If you've not handled a WB before I suggest you try one first before you buy.

Having spent most of my life on boats it came as quite a surprise just how slowly you have to go with 60x12 on the GU.

BTW I sold Parglena 4 years ago before it got as crowded as it is today darn sarf

Got what your saying loddon I'm hoping before we commit to having one built I will have had chance to take up peterboats kind offer to join him on a trip he seems happy with his 57 x 12 but he did once mention to make sure I get the right hp output engine so that's on my check list. It's funny in away we run a pair of American stretch limos and whilst I know they only half the length of what we are aiming to have and yes they handle different to a boat we got similar feedback from a wedding car forum as to what we get on this ( and that's a good thing) but we had posters saying don't buy them you will struggle doing weddings with them others saying you can not take a limo here or there and don't buy one unless you have driven one. We bought them love them work them regular and never had issues driving parking turning reversing etc but to hear the limo critics they were going to be a pain in the bum. I do believe some of its common sense a lot of research listening to others who have done what you intend doing and once you have done all that depending on your mind set....go for it.

Also ment to add.....slow is good for me....I have the rest of my life (health permitting) so not going to be rushing anywhere fast.

Hi Fergyguy :)

We bought our 57 x 11 up north and had it road hauled down to Braunston 2 & 1/2 years ago.

We stayed in the marina for 6 months getting the boat kitted out the way we wanted, learning how to handle it, and getting to grips with living on a boat

Since leaving the marina we have cruised the following...

The top end of the GU & north Oxford almost to Warwick, I believe the limit is around Soulihill in that direction

The north Oxford a couple miles past Barby moorings - there are very few spots for a WB to moor on that section without making yourself a pain in the arse

The GU down to Brentford

The non-tidal Thames from Teddington up past Oxford to Lechlade

The K&A from Reading down to Bath (you can go to Bristol, but we didn't bother as I wasn't keen on the K&A at all)

Off the GU down the Paddington and Regents Park Canals into London

The rivers Lee up to Hertford and the River Stort up to Sawbridgeworth

North of Milton Keynes there are fewer WB's cc'ing IMO, and you do need to be a bit more considerate as to where you choose to moor up without causing a nuisance to others, but there are still loads of spots to safely moor

I would suggest you have a look at the web sites for the hotel boats that cruise the southern section I know at least 2 of them go up to Warwick and both are wider than us, Tranquil Rose and the other one is Kilarny (not sure of the spelling)

Personally we find it much easier to cruise on the GU than the K&A, but that's more to do with the dodgy locks and mooring in the rough and pretty much always needing to use the gang plank which I struggle with.

The Thames, Lee, Stort, GU & London are all lovely and have hugh amounts to see & do.

I would agree that a high percentage of WB's are stagnate in marina's or long term moorings, but there are a fair few of us who legitimately cc and thoroughly enjoy it - although we do seem to be frowned upon when going north of Milton Keynes. Even though the canal is wide enough for two canal boats to pass us in most sections, if someone seems to be in more of a rush than us we simply wave them past or pull over if they seem hesitant to pass us whilst moving.

Not sure how much of a difference this makes, but our boat was built with a chine & therefore we don't seem to struggle at all, getting in nice and close to the bank where others can't.

Give it a day or two as I know there are other members of the forum who have WB's and CC the southern section - hopefully they will come along and give further knowledge and share their experiences

We LOVE it clapping.gif

A foot or even two in width makes a lot of difference (I think).

There was a very Germanic in name WB (there's also his (?) older NB version around on the system- The WB is powered by 4 propeller pods making manoeuvring an absolute joy.

For some reason the boat shuns the outside - even the fordeck is enclosed and invisible from the outside - so you can't get to talk to the owner...

Strange.

A foot or even two in width makes a lot of difference (I think).

There was a very Germanic in name WB (there's also his (?) older NB version around on the system- The WB is powered by 4 propeller pods making manoeuvring an absolute joy.

For some reason the boat shuns the outside - even the fordeck is enclosed and invisible from the outside - so you can't get to talk to the owner...

Strange.

NB is Walhalla the wide beam is Walhalla II Pronounced "Valhalla" I believe.

Walhalla being a hall of fame that honors laudable and distinguished people in German history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walhalla_memorial

The wide beam version featured in Canal Boat.

It was built at Kate Boats Stockton. http://kateboats.com/gallery-boats/

10594_421579394571096_480437049_n.jpg

Edited by Ray T

12ft will be tight but you should be able to get to Birmingham rather than Northamptonshire.

It is extremely rare to see a widebeam above Hatton. I know of one that lives above and one below. Neither move much and are homes

Richard

Ray T, on 03 May 2016 - 5:55 PM, said:

NB is Walhalla the wide beam is Walhalla II Pronounced "Valhalla" I believe.

Walhalla being a hall of fame that honors laudable and distinguished people in German history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walhalla_memorial

The wide beam version featured in Canal Boat.

It was built at Kate Boats Stockton. http://kateboats.com/gallery-boats/

10594_421579394571096_480437049_n.jpg

That's the one - thanks.

The number KB 877 has a significance - he did tell me but the wind carried his voice away....

It looks quite oppressive doesn't it, matt colours - you can see the foredeck hidden from view

Chacon etc.

Trying to work out which lock it is...

Got to know a widebeam owner who was leaving the canals. He told me he got a bit of abuse varying from gentle mickey taking to some advise to get the bote off the water.

Edited by mark99

I believe the limit is around Soulihill in that direction

The actual limit is Sdampson Road at the top of Camp Hill Locks, not far short of Birmingham City Centre. There is room to wind there. There is a narror bridge - 12'6" I think - a short distance before Sampson Road.

Be aware that any boat over 7 ft wide has to give advance notice of passage through Blisworth and Braunston Tunnels, as they are not wide enough for wider boats to pass.

Hey I'm sticking to northern waters I reckon coz us northerners are made of stern stuff and abuse is water off a ducks back lol and if anyone gives us a hard time we will just block the locks hey hey.....I'm sure it's not all gloom out there and I have taken onboard a lot of the comments (and put a few in the take no notice file) at the end of the day it's each to his own and what ever floats your boat pardon the pun ...just because I don't want to live in a 70feet long tube does not mean it's not a fantastic home for those who do...we should all respect each other's choices in life shouldn't we????