Painting a windlass

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We have a number of windlass which either are rusty and need a paint or were previously painted and I need to redo them.

Problem is the paint chips easily for the first few months where the paint has not 100% dried

Does anyone have any recommendations of paint or methods to use to do this. I wondered about two pack paint and also wondered about baking it in the oven. Only problem might be some have plastic handles. But a low temperature might be ok?

Thanks

Doodlebug

A couple I've sprayed with metal etch primer, then Vauxhall Grey, 2 coats, then lacquered them, four coats. I rust treated them first. l let them cure for a month.

Slight chips around the head with use, dropping them doesn't help either.

Edited by Ray T

Don't!

If you want to coat a windlass, get it chrome plated, or " silver dipped " as the working boaters called it.

Dave

Already have with a couple of other windlass:

Cost me £70 in 2011. They still mark if you drop them........

Terrified when I use them in case they fall in the cut. Yes I do have a magnet.

One problem with having them chromed if you put them inside your jacket as the old working boaters did they tend to slide out if you bend down.

And yes the boat wouldn't be carrying coal North

Edited by Ray T

I sprayed ours with pink flourescent paint. It doesn't stop them from chipping, make them visually attractive or protect them in any way, but it does mean that when the kids leave them behind at a lock we can spot them easily. They get re-sprayed about once a year...

Well when one has a shiny boat one has to have shiny accessories so one can "keep up appearances" tongue.png

I reckon if working boatmen could get by never painting a windlass, I probably can as well!

I reckon if working boatmen could get by never painting a windlass, I probably can as well!

My excuse is I don't own an ex working boat.

I've never found any proof that boatmen painted their windlass but as Dave M noted some certainly had them chromed.

Second from top.

Edited by Ray T

Back in the day the windless didn't stay still long enough to paint, it would never had time to dry clapping.gif

My excuse is I don't own an ex working boat.

I've never found any proof that boatmen painted their windlass but as Dave M noted some certainly had them chromed.

attachicon.gifDSCF2215.JPG

Second from top.

The problem with having a windless chromed is if the handle is chromed & then gets chipped the chrome plate can flake/peel & can dig into your hands, copper plating first seemed to cure this problem, still a problem if recovered after spending time in the cut.A lot of the older working boaters I came in contact with used to spend a good amount of time smoothing & polishing the handle as that cost them nothing but their time & a sheet of emery paper, when tied up

Edited by X Alan W

I am led to believe that is one of the reasons the boatmen tucked the windlass in their jacket, so it wasn't cold to the touch in winter.

Also having it under your coat collar rather than tucked in the back of your belt it doesn't hurt your back when leaning against/ pushing on lock beams

Most 'chrome' these days isn't - its bright nickel. Our windlasses are nickel plated which has dulled to a matt grey. I think it almost impossible to avoid paint chips on a windless particularly if you have painted over nickel plate.

Generally thick paint chips more easily so thin coats are the way forward. As others have said using an etch primer first helps adhesion.

I don't think paint chips can be avoided, so a tough quick dry paint (try car wheel paint) may be the solution so they can be touched up every so often.

If you can find a company who still plate in genuine chrome (most have closed as chrome is highly carciogenic), then get it HARD chromed rather then decorative.

Good hard chrome will withstand a hacksaw blade if it done properly!

What's the point of spending an age painting something that will probably end up in a lock sometime

In all my years of boating I have only lost one windlass in a lock. That was through my stupidity, Mrs T was round the far side of a lock on the GU and had forgotten to take a windlass. I threw one to her and of course I threw it short as I was worried about it going in the bywash behind. It hit the lock wall and splosh. No use using the magnet as it was a Dunton Double. BTW it was the middle lock of the Calcutt Three.

Needless to say I am much more careful and never lost one since. I suppose if you are content to loose a windlass one of these might be the order of the day.

s-l225.jpg
As I have a couple of chromed ones I like to use them.
Edited by Ray T