CRT extended stay

Wanderer Vagabond

Featured Posts

I wonder how there can be scope for discussion. W-Vag did what he felt was the right thing, and CART felt it was the right thing too. I cannot see where there's any trace of threats or animosity in their exchange.

...but would it be so cosy if the few people who did take CRT to task on certain matters, didn't bother?

Since CRT took over from BWB my dealings with CRT have resulted in no problems. However what I can only describe as confusing and pointless signage in places remains.

Why feel we have to ask permission for something we are already entitled to? Why should we feel worried about being mistakenly added to the enforcement list just because the logging system is rubbish? Why should we have to pay to moor up in places which we are legally entitled to moor up for up to 14 days as part of our licence fee?

Yes, the front line are usually polite and accomodating, but I'm still not sure about the intent of some of those driving CRT (or whoever is steering them). Maybe only time will tell for sure.

Well what did he think would happen if he didn't notify them of his plans? He obviously can't move if the river is in flood yet he felt the need to notify them and discuss this with an "enforcement officer" ...

I think the approach taken by contacting C&RT was simple & effective. Not everything has to be a drama. I have previously done the same & in all my dealings with C&RT & BW before them, found them to be excellent.

Well what did he think would happen if he didn't notify them of his plans? He obviously can't move if the river is in flood yet he felt the need to notify them and discuss this with an "enforcement officer" ...

How is it obvious. Crt don't know his plans or is it usual that every boat in the Oxford area is heading up the Thames.

Best option here for yourself and others who wish to have conflict with crt at every opportunity is carry on and let others boat without aggro. It's all about choice, your way is not mine but let's agree to each face whatever battle comes our way.

He obviously can move -- because canals are not one way. As WV himself said, he could have gone back the way he came, but prefers to wait it out where he is. He did the right thing.

Because we like to be courteous to other people, perhaps?

So do I, but do you think all of the CRT signage is courteous? Do you think it is courteous of CRT to stick some people on the enforcement list without checking the situation with them first? It should work both ways surely.

I wrote to the local enforcement Officer yesterday for very similar reasons. I need to be in the vicinity of where we are for up to three weeks,probably less. I was polite and courteous.

I have not heard back from CRT. Is the EO the correct person to contact?

Martyn

So do I, but do you think all of the CRT signage is courteous? Do you think it is courteous of CRT to stick some people on the enforcement list without checking the situation with them first? It should work both ways surely.

How do you suggest CRT get messages over to people if not by signs. Employ town criers?

Never having been in an enforcement situation I am unsure but I have got the impression from a number of posts that some people have been contacted saying words to the effect of "we think you may be over staying unless you can show us otherwise". If that is correct I don't find it impolite.

Some of the messages are not courteous, and some may not even be legal. For example £25 overstay on a 48h mooring which used to be 14 day. I'd say that is taking the P.

I can't say I have seen any notice anywhere which I would describe as not being courteous could you please tell me the wording of one you consider discourteous.

The illegality of a notice doesn't make the wording discourteous. I feel some consider notices discourteous because they say things they don't agree with. However I note you haven't suggested alternative ways of getting a message over, didn't you like the idea of town criers? Too noisy perhaps.

I thought one of the early acts gave the right to charge for services so if that is correct they are hardly doing anything illegal.

I wrote to the local enforcement Officer yesterday for very similar reasons. I need to be in the vicinity of where we are for up to three weeks,probably less. I was polite and courteous.

Martyn

Give it a few days and e mail again asking if your previous e mail was received. Best scenario is getting their view in writing and if anything changes let them know. When you get going again let them know and thank them for their help.

Of course you could do nothing, and fight CDT in a pointless legal battle. Pointless because a bit of courteous communication avoids expensive battles. We each have a choice.

I can't say I have seen any notice anywhere which I would describe as not being courteous could you please tell me the wording of one you consider discourteous.

The illegality of a notice doesn't make the wording discourteous. I feel some consider notices discourteous because they say things they don't agree with. However I note you haven't suggested alternative ways of getting a message over, didn't you like the idea of town criers? Too noisy perhaps.

I thought one of the early acts gave the right to charge for services so if that is correct they are hardly doing anything illegal.

I gave you an example in the post you responded to me with.

Maybe you think charging £25 per night for a mooring with no services when you have already paid to moor there as part of your licence fee is courteous then?

Regarding your town crier analogy, I think you have got the idea I'm talking about every sign. Just to clarify I'm not, I'm just suggesting certain signs shouldn't be there in the first place.

Actually I reckon that it is those who try to do the right thing who suffer the worry. The P takers don't care anyway and just carry on pushing the boundaries.

I think we have two types here. You have as you say the pis takers who eventually end up with no license. The other type are what I call the stirrers. They act within the rules but like to flex their battle pose incite others but never really go into battle. After the dust settles they go back to their boating waiting for another chance to stir the pot.

But to be fair each to their own. My main objection is being criticised for doing what I think is right but then they could call it the same way so let's give our views enjoy the discussion and in the end agree to be different. I know it's hard but if we're not careful CRT will join politics and religeon. CRT bit is humour.

Martyn

If it is in the Nantwich area then I am not surprised if you don't get a reply. She is probably off sick again.

Ring them up and explain to the person on CS what your problem is and can you speak to someone about it.

I gave you an example in the post you responded to me with.

Maybe you think charging £25 per night for a mooring with no services when you have already paid to moor there as part of your licence fee is courteous then?

Regarding your town crier analogy, I think you have got the idea I'm talking about every sign. Just to clarify I'm not, I'm just suggesting certain signs shouldn't be there in the first place.

Has it been determined if its legal or illegal?