CRT extended stay

Wanderer Vagabond

Featured Posts

Just thought I'd share my latest encounter with CRT with you. There are those who are constantly telling us what a bunch of b*stards CRT and how they are constantly being harassed by them, well this is the other side.

Currently in the Oxford area with the intention of heading up the Thames towards Lechlade. Since arriving here the Thames has gone back into flood so we are having to stay put. I sent an e-mail to CRT to advise them of what my plans had been, how they have been temporarily stymied by the weather and that I may need to stay here longer than I originally intended (for the info of a certain TD I most specifically did not ask for any permission to stay, I advised them that was what I was going to do). Within an hour I received a phone call from the Enforcement Team leader and after a very convivial chat she stated that everything was fine and she'd create an 'Extended Stay' for my boat running through until 22nd April if necessary. This date was given because I said that if the Thames hadn't settled down by then I'd go off and do something else.There was no conflict, no arguments, no threats and if it is necessary to remain until that date I will have been here for almost a month.

So when there is a genuine reason to stay somewhere CRT are quite accommodating. How, and why do so many end out in conflict with them? I suppose that if I'd approached in an aggressive manner they could have just said,"Well why don't you just go back up the Oxford Canal then?" but the suggestion never arose. Have I just been 'lucky' on the three occasions over the past 3 years that I've notified CRT that I would be overstaying? I have so far never had a problem with them.

Neither have I. I had a gout attack in Nantwich last year, and ASKED to stay put for a while. I even moved away from the VMs, to a place just around the corner to the north, where the offside moorings end. They were most accommodating and wished me well.

Stockholm syndrome.

Within an hour I received a phone call from the Enforcement Team leader and after a very convivial chat she stated that everything was fine and she'd create an 'Extended Stay' for my boat running through until 22nd April if necessary.

How kind of her. There certainly was a threat even if it wasn't direct. If there was no threat you would not have felt it necessary to notify them of your plans and they would not have called you to OK them.

Stockholm syndrome.

How kind of her. There certainly was a threat even if it wasn't direct. If there was no threat you would not have felt it necessary to notify them of your plans and they would not have called you to OK them.

Rubbish!

Where is the "threat"?

Neither have I. I had a gout attack in Nantwich last year, and ASKED to stay put for a while. I even moved away from the VMs, to a place just around the corner to the north, where the offside moorings end. They were most accommodating and wished me well.

Poor you, gout is often seen as a comical disease with a comical name afflicting comical men who eat rich food and drink too much port.

It is not at all comical.

I had a few attacks a while ago as an adverse reaction to some medication and it was the worse pain I have ever experienced. I remember lying on the sofa in the boat and seriously thinking that weeing myself might be a better option than getting up and hobbling 15 feet to the bathroom.

..............Dave

If there was no threat you would not have felt it necessary to notify them of your plans and they would not have called you to OK them.

In the world I was brought up in it was considered polite to let people know when what you were doing impinged on them in anyway. It was also considered polite to reply.

You must have grown up in a different society.

Rubbish!

Where is the "threat"?

Well what did he think would happen if he didn't notify them of his plans? He obviously can't move if the river is in flood yet he felt the need to notify them and discuss this with an "enforcement officer" ...

Well what did he think would happen if he didn't notify them of his plans? He obviously can't move if the river is in flood yet he felt the need to notify them and discuss this with an "enforcement officer" ...

What I thought might happen was a data checker may come past and, quite reasonably, wonder why the boat had been moored at a location for 3 weeks. I could quite easily have gone back up the Oxford Canal but that isn't what my plans are. Why create a problem where none exists?

• Greenie 4

This epitomises what the 'problem' is. There was no threat any more that than there is some fictitious 'threat' from the Police force if I break down on the motorway, I will use either a mobile phone or the emergency phone to tell them what has happened and what I'm doing about it. I see that as pretty much all I was doing with CRT.

If you adopt the attitude that you aren't going to tell them anything until they start asking questions as to why you are staying at a given location then , quite honestly, you deserve all the 'harassment' that you are likely to getsad.png

Why do we always have to bring nonsensical car/road analogies in to this?

If I am stuck somewhere due to a flood it is obvious that I won't be moving until the flood subsides. It isn't an emergenciy. Nobody needs to be notified, no permission needs to be given, I have no need or desire to talk to someone who's job it is to "enforce" rules that have no basis in law.

Why create a problem where none exists?

That is what you should be asking the "enforcement officer" if they question why you are still there.

Edited by Delta9

Poor you, gout is often seen as a comical disease with a comical name afflicting comical men who eat rich food and drink too much port.

It is not at all comical.

I had a few attacks a while ago as an adverse reaction to some medication and it was the worse pain I have ever experienced. I remember lying on the sofa in the boat and seriously thinking that weeing myself might be a better option than getting up and hobbling 15 feet to the bathroom.

..............Dave

Quite. I got NO sympathy from the local docs, who said that I should control it. They even sent me hither and thither, to another place, with me being hardly able to walk.

The hideous pain goes on all night too, and you only get to sleep through sheer exhaustion. NO WAY do you want one of your sheets to touch that toe!!

Why do we always have to bring nonsensical car/road analogies in to this?

If I am stuck somewhere due to a flood it is obvious that I won't be moving until the flood subsides. It isn't an emergenciy. Nobody needs to be notified, no permission needs to be given, I have no need or desire to talk to someone who's job it is to "enforce" rules that have no basis in law.

I am not stuck, I could go back up the Oxford towards Banbury but choose not to do so because I want to go to Lechlade

Should you find yourself in conflict with CRT due to your attitude I'm afraid that sympathy from this direction will be very thin on the ground closedeyes.gif

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond
  • Greenie 4

A fair point.

CRT as a navigation authority should be aware of hazards like this, and if concerned about a boat noticed to be overstaying, should then make contact perhaps. I can see that the op has decided to pre empt CRT by notifying them himself.

His choice of course, and in the present climate, probably a wise one.

One day, CRT may well learn to think of boat owners as an asset, and treat them accordingly.

• Greenie 1

This epitomises what the 'problem' is. There was no threat any more that than there is some fictitious 'threat' from the Police force if I break down on the motorway, I will use either a mobile phone or the emergency phone to tell them what has happened and what I'm doing about it. I see that as pretty much all I was doing with CRT.

If you adopt the attitude that you aren't going to tell them anything until they start asking questions as to why you are staying at a given location then , quite honestly, you deserve all the 'harassment' that you are likely to get:(

Ok, you didn't feel threatened, but in fact you were worried enough about it, and consequently felt the need to justify your predicament. That's fair enough, but it could have been just as easily rectified by the number checker or eo when on their rounds. You shouldn't feel the need to justify something when you are doing no wrong (in a simple world of course).
  • Greenie 2

Should you find yourself in conflict with CRT due to your attitude I'm afraid that sympathy from this direction will be very thin on the ground closedeyes.gif

I'm truly gutted that you won't be lending me your support, but It works both ways. If you allow them to make up rules as they go along eventually they will make one that actually has an effect on you. When that happens I shall also withhold my sympathy.

Ok, you didn't feel threatened, but in fact you were worried enough about it, and consequently felt the need to justify your predicament. That's fair enough, but it could have been just as easily rectified by the number checker or eo when on their rounds. You shouldn't feel the need to justify something when you are doing no wrong (in a simple world of course).

There is no guarantee that I'll be on the boat when any EO or data checker comes around (if they do come around here). You state that I am doing nothing wrong but if I decided to stay here for three weeks or a month just because I felt like it that is in breach of the 1995 Act which says that I should navigate,"....without remaining continuously in any one place for more than 14 days or such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances....." I don't feel that staying somewhere because I happen to like the mooring is 'reasonable in the circumstances' but others may hold a contrary opinion.

• Greenie 1

There is no guarantee that I'll be on the boat when any EO or data checker comes around (if they do come around here). You state that I am doing nothing wrong but if I decided to stay here for three weeks or a month just because I felt like it that is in breach of the 1995 Act which says that I should navigate,"....without remaining continuously in any one place for more than 14 days or such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances....." I don't feel that staying somewhere because I happen to like the mooring is 'reasonable in the circumstances' but others may hold a contrary opinion.

You wouldn't be breaking anything, your overstay would be reasonable, under the circumstances.

CRT should be aware of the situation with the Thames, and most importantly, give you the benefit of the doubt. Rather than deciding we are all criminals and out to break the law.

Bear in mind, your a paying customer.

You wouldn't be breaking anything, your overstay would be reasonable, under the circumstances.

CRT should be aware of the situation with the Thames, and most importantly, give you the benefit of the doubt. Rather than deciding we are all criminals and out to break the law.

Bear in mind, your a paying customer.

The circumstances I've outlined are reasonable, but just staying here because I like the mooring and it's convenient for the shops isn't, how would CRT know the difference unless told? I may well be a 'paying customer' (I'm probably contributing as much through general taxation) but so are all of the other boat users (paying customers) who can't moor here because I've 'monopolised' the mooring. Do their rights get overridden?

• Greenie 1

The circumstances I've outlined are reasonable, but just staying here because I like the mooring and it's convenient for the shops isn't, how would CRT know the difference unless told? I may well be a 'paying customer' (I'm probably contributing as much through general taxation) but so are all of the other boat users (paying customers) who can't moor here because I've 'monopolised' the mooring. Do their rights get overridden?

Very thoughtful of you, but at the end of the day, it's not an issue you developed. I like queing, it's part of our culture in this country, along with being considerate and tolerant.

Jenlyn, you got a Greenie off me.

Please ignore it - I just happened to click in the wrong place. I do not agree with your post.

There appears to be a couple of people on this thread who are determined to thump their CRT tub rather than take on board what the OP actually said....