Cruising the cut what's what ?

GreyLady

Featured Posts

We have a home mooring but wish to only sleep in it five or six nights a month, I was wondering if a cruising distance of 8-10 miles in different named towns would be a suffient distance not to classed as bridge hopping or staying over the 14 day limit in one area ?

Thanks

For goodness sake!!!

Go boating - go and enjoy yourself - go and relax.

You are very, very unlikely to cause any problems to anyone - you are far too worried about doing the wrong thing

You are new to boat owning, people will spot that fairly quickly (the general smugness is a delightful consequence) and understand

Boaters are by and large very accepting, no matter how this forum seems from time to time

Richard

• Greenie 2

If you have a home mooring but are away from it, you can move as far or as near as you wish as long as you don't contravene any mooring regulations. So you could moor for 14 days in one spot, move a mile and then stay there another 14 days.

Bit of a waste of cruising time though!

EDIT: have you got your boat yet? I've been away for a week and am thus behind with the news.

Edited by Athy

If you have a home mooring but are away from it, you can move as far or as near as you wish as long as you don't contravene any mooring regulations. So you could moor for 14 days in one spot, move a mile and then stay there another 14 days.

Bit of a waste of cruising time though!

EDIT: have you got your boat yet? I've been away for a week and am thus behind with the news.

I was told by CRT that i must move a distance, just like those without home moorings even though i have a mooring in a marina...

Thanks for your reply's everyone,

Alan yep that's roughly our plan 7 days at one spot then do a few miles and then 7 days in another. (Basically not staying in the marina bored)

Richard i am a worry'er yes it comes from having ocd, hopefully the boat will sort my head out. Lol

Athy it won't be long now, we had to put things on hold last year due to a family passing away.

Anyway I will sharup going on now and give it a rest.

t9404.gif

Edited by GreyLady

I was told by CRT that i must move a distance, just like those without home moorings even though i have a mooring in a marina...

Next time they tell you that just ask them where in the legislation it states that you must abide by the same restrictions that boats without a home mooring must adhere to.

(Answer - it doesn't, its just something C&RT are trying illegally to introduce into their T&Cs)

• Greenie 1

Richard i am a worry'er yes it comes from having ocd, hopefully the boat will sort my head out. Lol

You are going to be fine. Try to enjoy the excitement of your new boat and leave the worrying until you need to - which is unlikely to be until after you have owned the boat for a bit

Richard

Next time they tell you that just ask them where in the legislation it states that you must abide by the same restrictions that boats without a home mooring must adhere to.

(Answer - it doesn't, its just something C&RT are trying illegally to introduce into their T&Cs)

Makes no odds, i move more than enough when i am out.

Anyway I will sharup going on now and give it a rest.

There are certain forum colleagues who I wish would "sharup and give it a rest" from time to time. Rest assured that you are not amongst them. Keep on yakking.

• Greenie 1

There are certain forum colleagues who I wish would "sharup and give it a rest" from time to time. Rest assured that you are not amongst them. Keep on yakking.

I like your posts Athy their have a touch of old school humour, you keep yakking too. ☺

Ps I had to correct auto spell because it changed yakking to yanking.

Nobody ever learned anything by NOT asking a question.

This is true lol. Edited by GreyLady

I'm not OCD but I do worry an awful lot. But one thing I have never worried about is how far we have to travel from our home mooring.

Get out there and go boating. If it gets flagged up that you're not moving far enough, move a little further but if nothing gets said, you're obviously within limits :)

• Greenie 1

I like your posts Athy their have a touch of old school humour, you keep yakking too. ☺

Not so much of the "old", if you don't mind, young lady!

I had to correct auto spell because it changed yakking to yanking.

Gosh, that was a narrow escape...

I think that strictly one sleeps on a mooring rather than in it. captain.gif

.................Dave

And might that depend on how deep in the water your boat sits, and on how high off the floor your bed is?!?!

Why is illegal to introduce anything into a set of T&Cs?

An unenforceable term probably, but not actually illegal to include the requirement in the T&Cs.

Or put another way, do you hold CRT are leaving themselves open to prosecution for <something> by including this unenforceable requirement in their T&Cs?

P.S. they are not trying to introduce this measure into their T&Cs. They've done it. Its there in black and white!

Why is illegal to introduce anything into a set of T&Cs?

An unenforceable term probably, but not actually illegal to include the requirement in the T&Cs.

Or put another way, do you hold CRT are leaving themselves open to prosecution for <something> by including this unenforceable requirement in their T&Cs?

P.S. they are not trying to introduce this measure into their T&Cs. They've done it. Its there in black and white!

I worded it badly -

It is specified in law that Boats without a Home mooring must ........ remain,..... one place.... move......every 14 days etc.

There is no such requirement in law for a boat with a home mooring

It would appear to me that C&RT are adding in additional 'legal requirements' to allow you to retain your licence.

Maybe I have it wrong ?