Narrowboat front roof scraping guards ?

GreyLady

Featured Posts

Forgive me asking this daft question but over the last week or so I've been thinking about a tunnel we might end up having to do as complete beginners, I thought about bonding 10" of this stuff to the front cabin/roof with Sikraflex hoping it would prevent steel damage.

Is this a daft idea or do I need to Chillax and stop worrying obsessively about stuff ?

post-24819-0-58291400-1458340573_thumb.jpg

Edited by GreyLady

Which tunnel?

Harecastle.

But anyway, the tunnel is unlike to damage the steel, only the paint. Sticking stuff on with sikaflex is also likely to damage the paint so I wouldn't bother. If the worst happens a small pot of touch up paint will sort it.

Which tunnel?

Harecastle, it's not just the tunnel as new boaters I guess we're going to get it wrong as part as learning.

We don't want to scuff a 85k boat, it's not my boat it's my dad's but to be honest if it was a 10k boat I bought I would still be worried proper.

Harecastle.

But anyway, the tunnel is unlike to damage the steel, only the paint. Sticking stuff on with sikaflex is also likely to damage the paint so I wouldn't bother. If the worst happens a small pot of touch up paint will sort it.

Nick thanks, am an overthinker!

Edited by GreyLady

Plastic stuck on it will look worse than touched up paint IF you do happen to catch it, which you probably wont. If you do you will probably rip through the plastic anyway.

Thanks.

I guess I better get me spray gun out if we scratch it..

Me and dad went for an 8 mile walk to walk off the pre survey over thinking off.

I reckon we should of done 16 miles.

Forgive me asking this daft question but over the last week or so I've been thinking about a tunnel we might end up having to do as complete beginners, I thought about bonding 10" of this stuff to the front cabin/roof with Sikraflex hoping it would prevent steel damage.

Is this a daft idea or do I need to Chillax and stop worrying obsessively about stuff ?

When we did Harecastle I lost concentration and wacked the cabin front corner on the wall/roof. It tore the canvas on the cratch cover and it was then I realised why I'd seen boats with their cratch covers pulled down and forward before they entered.

If you boat has one I would suggest doing the same and that is it apart from the usual about clearing anythin on the roof that might catch.

Will you please chillax! A bit of scratched paint doesn't matter. You are going to have a wonderful time and nobody will die. What more do you want?

Richard

Haha

Yer that's probably the answer I needed lol.

Fink me ocd was winning. ?

Harecastle is 10ft wide you will not get near hitting the sides.

10ft sounds much wider than wot I thought seriously. Thanks John.

An 8' long stick lashed athwartships across the roof at the front with an old boot plonked on both ends. The boots will push you off the walls if you go too close.

A deluxe version could have bike wheels on the ends of the stick which would roll along the tunnel walls to fend you off.

Edited by bizzard

When we did Harecastle I lost concentration and wacked the cabin front corner on the wall/roof. It tore the canvas on the cratch cover and it was then I realised why I'd seen boats with their cratch covers pulled down and forward before they entered.

If you boat has one I would suggest doing the same and that is it apart from the usual about clearing anythin on the roof that might catch.

Thanks Martin that exactly what I read on the Internet, and this is probably why I started to think about the front corners.

Our proposed boat has no cratch cover as yet.

An 8' long stick lashed athwartships across the roof at the front with an old boot plonked on both ends. The boots will push you off the walls if you go too close.

Bizzard would you mind coming with me to Dragons Den - this time next week will be millionaires.

You mek em Al sell em. ?

Edited by GreyLady

Thanks Martin that exactly what I read on the Internet, and this is probably why I started to think about the front corners.

Our proposed boat has no cratch cover as yet.

I damaged the paint too but the front corner of a Colecraft shell is a pretty solid thing to hit the tunnel roof with and the steel suffered no damage.

It still bore the scars when we sold the boat, it was a bit like a trophy.

I damaged the paint too but the front corner of a Colecraft shell is a pretty solid thing to hit the tunnel roof with and the steel suffered no damage.

It still bore the scars when we sold the boat, it was a bit like a trophy.

We all make boo boos and I have lots to come.

I guess it's a constant reminder, I will have to keep myself in check Martin and remind myself when my dad has a bump it's his boat and I am just the caretaker.

I do worry far too much.

Edited by GreyLady

First priority is to worry about your own safety! The boat will be fine. I think it is now recomended to wear life jackets in tunnels. Keep an eye on the roof of the tunnel so you don't bang you head , and dont stand within the arc of the tiller swing.

We have done harecastle and have never scrapped a cabin top there. The only places I have caught the cabin top are Standedge and Aston.

Have a great trip!

In many years time the boat will need repainting. In order to do that, the old paint will need to be rubbed down. Just regard any scuffs that you collect now, as just starting the job early and giving the painter a hand.

Much more likely is the probability that in the locks you will lose some paint from the gunwales. Accept this as inevitable and don't think you can prevent it by leaving your fenders down, more likely you will simply lose the fenders when they get ripped off (or you get jammed in a narrow lock). They won't help in tunnels either!

Normally the hull of the boat is what gets scratched, and the chimney, but I can't remember the walls of a tunnel being able to touch the cabin of a boat........

What you are more likely do, is have a tree branch draw a scratch line all along the cabin side from bow to stern...........I've seen that on so many boats...one returning from a new paint job....

I have only scraped paint off the handrail in a tunnel once in 43 years of boating. That was in Braunston Tunnel, when I got pushed heavily into the side by a boat coming the other way, who hadn't moved over far enough.

You shouldn't have this problem in Harecastle as it is one way.

Don't worry about scratches, they are an inevitability if you use the boat, and will be caused by, the wind blowing you into overhanging branches, other boats hitting you, bits sticking out of locks, piling etc. Just keep them touched in so that the boat looks good from a few feet away.

Going thru Harecastle a boat (the helm) we were cruising with found it disorientating and bounced along the sides for much of the length of the tunnel, ripping his cratch and smashing both navigation lights.

Travel with sufficient speed to keep steerage (but your speed is in reality controlled by the boat in front) and concentrate on looking forward down one side of the boat. If that side remains 'just clear' of the sides then the other side will be also 'clear'.

It does suprise me the number of people who don't get this simple fact. No just boats, but on the road as well.

I think that is very easy to say and in theory it works fine. Personally however I found being in Harecastle quite disorientating at times and certainly nothing at all like driving on the road.

I think that is very easy to say and in theory it works fine. Personally however I found being in Harecastle quite disorientating at times and certainly nothing at all like driving on the road.

I agree about Harecastle (and a few other tunnels), that's why I only quoted the one section of Alan's post, it was a more general comment.

Before we sold Innisfree I mounted a couple of small tyred wheels on the front corners of the roof, worked a treat by protecting the catch and paintwork in tunnels with a flatter profile, also handy if, in the unlikely event, we ever needed to reverse out of a tunnel. Could be easily removed it desired but we kept them on, looked quite workman like IMO.