Running you're engine

lpp2

Featured Posts

Surely that depends on the engine.

A nice vintage, say, Gleniffer DB2 ticking over is a delight to listen to (so I was constantly told), unlike a Beta 43.

Goes to show how our feelings about noise are influenced by our feelings about the thing making the noise.

When I worked for the council dealing with noise nuisance complaints I saw this all the time.

For example, one time I was called out to a flat, it was a small block, 2 storeys with 2 flats on each, so 4 flats in total. The complainer was in the upstairs flat and was moaning about the music coming from the guy across the hall. When we got there, the music from across the hall was being drowned out by the much louder music coming up from below. When I questioned him about his complaint and suggested we should be dealing with the guy below first, he said "oh no, he's a mate of mine" and then gestured across the hall "whereas he's a ####!!!!".

Vintage engines are only making a nice noise if you happen to like vintage engines.

Edited by DHutch
language

Isn't that because horses are slower

Richard

They're not, acksherly. Popped out just after Sue Day went past with some old wooden boat. Thought she would be holding us up, but no, she disappeared into the middle distance and had to work quite hard to see here working up Marple Locks.

Hmmm, depends on the engine. My Kelvin is so goddam loud that it is far more social for me to run a genny twice a week. It's a bloody amazing sound when moving, but probably a bit much once stationary.

Something wrong with it then, I'd say. My Kelvin chuffs gently at tickover and is so quiet it can barely be heard at 15 paces.

...we have a couple of boats here in the yard that keep running engines to heat water and they're on mains hook ups!!, they have no immersion heater elements in their calorifiers, its an awful drone...

Same in our marina, makes no sense, we do not have an immersion (although I would spec one if buying a new tank) however do have a gas heater, in a cupboard.

Daniel

As we no longer have politics and religion to argue over, I think I should point out that you are "totally totally wrong", and should be placed immediately in the forum pillory until you recant your heresy.

Boats were pulled by horse for *far longer* than they have had engines.

biggrin.png

You might be right but then again maybe not. My research has however revealed that some early boaters regarded engines as the work of the Devil and that puts this subject firmly in the religious category so I must say no more clapping.gif

.................Dave

You might be right but then again maybe not. My research has however revealed that some early boaters regarded engines as the work of the Devil and that puts this subject firmly in the religious category so I must say no more clapping.gif

.................Dave

Has that chap with the angle grinder chopped your swan neck off yet? smiley_offtopic.gif

Beautiful day in Cheshire sunny and relaxing on a smashing mooring when some idiot turns up and leaves his bloody engine running, as I write this rant its been running for 2.50 hours.

I will swop your boat for a flat with a neighbour that plays hard drum and Base for 15 hours a day starting at 11am.

I will be a live aboard soon and someone running a genny in the daytime for 3 hours would not even turn my head. - having said that if i get a genny I would move away from other boaters.

Edited by GreyLady

Eat Sleep Rave Repeat Eat Sleep Rave Repeat Eat Sleep Rave Repeat Eat Sleep Rave Repeat

Bang on.

- The boats sound system is next on the list, but I do share my under-desk space with a 12" woofer when at home.

- In the living I make do with a pair of floor standing 603's which 'only' have a pair of 6.5inch bass and mid drivers.

Daniel

Oh my god (oops religion???) the boat behind has just got his angle grinder out.

..............Dave

Frightened now! Hubby did fire up his angle grinder at about that time - work is needed on our boat and is only done in allowed hours, and then we add a couple of hours in the morning for those that want a snooze so limit ourselves to 10am till 8pm for maintaining our boat or charging our batteries.

It's a shared space.

Saying that if my hubby's angle grinder disturbs you and you approach him and say so he will, without hesitation and with profuse apologies turn it off. Because there's a big difference between being allowed to do something and it being right.

• Greenie 1

Goes to show how our feelings about noise are influenced by our feelings about the thing making the noise.

When I worked for the council dealing with noise nuisance complaints I saw this all the time.

For example, one time I was called out to a flat, it was a small block, 2 storeys with 2 flats on each, so 4 flats in total. The complainer was in the upstairs flat and was moaning about the music coming from the guy across the hall. When we got there, the music from across the hall was being drowned out by the much louder music coming up from below. When I questioned him about his complaint and suggested we should be dealing with the guy below first, he said "oh no, he's a mate of mine" and then gestured across the hall "whereas he's a ####!!!!".

Vintage engines are only making a nice noise if you happen to like vintage engines.

Yes but how could anyone not like vintage engines? Surely that's not possible.

I thought a DB2 was an Aston Martin. Lagonda engined, straight 6 double OHC.

Husband sometimes brings home an Aston Martin and occasionally a Lamborghini , believe me you don't want one of those firing up on the marina too early . Leaves for work at 6.00am . Apologies to the neighbours at 10 am . Always know when he's bringing one home , hear him before I see him . Will keep our boxed , hospital silenced Beta 43 in preference. Bunny

Yes but how could anyone not like vintage engines? Surely that's not possible.

They are wonderful on someone else's boat.

Waiting at Torksey a few years ago to descend the lock, I called over a boat hovering in the pound. After 10 mins of him being alongside, as his Gardner shook our boat more than our engine, I asked him why it was still running.

2 The breadmakers on, and if the freezer kicks in, then the electrics will trip"

I suggested he switched off the freezer for a while, or move back out into the pound and hover. The engine stopped almost immediately.

Frightened now! Hubby did fire up his angle grinder at about that time - work is needed on our boat and is only done in allowed hours, and then we add a couple of hours in the morning for those that want a snooze so limit ourselves to 10am till 8pm for maintaining our boat or charging our batteries.

It's a shared space.

Saying that if my hubby's angle grinder disturbs you and you approach him and say so he will, without hesitation and with profuse apologies turn it off. Because there's a big difference between being allowed to do something and it being right.

We have in the past been whinged at for using a drill at 11am on a Sunday in the Marina "It's all right for you weekend boaters, but some of us live here and we appreciate a bit of a lie in at the weekend"