Running you're engine

lpp2

Featured Posts

Beautiful day in Cheshire sunny and relaxing on a smashing mooring when some idiot turns up and leaves his bloody engine running, as I write this rant its been running for 2.50 hours.

How do you know he was an idiot?

In the winter I run my engine most days whilst stationary, I hope that doesn't make me an idiot.

...............Dave

That's life.

He can run his engine until 8 o'clock

Basically, the quid pro quo of having a time for shutting engines off is that you can't reasonably complain if engines are run before that time

Yes, I don't think anyone can reasonably complain about a neighbor's engine being run during normal permitted hours. Unfortunately some people seem to have got it into their heads and adopted an attitude of "I got here first, so it's my mooring", which of course it is not. It's a public space for those with the correct licences.

If we don't like the presence of others nearby for whatever reason, be it the noise of their engine, the smell of exhaust fumes or even the colour of their boat, then we are free to leave.

Beautiful day in Cheshire sunny and relaxing on a smashing mooring when some idiot turns up and leaves his bloody engine running, as I write this rant its been running for 2.50 hours.

2.5 hours, wow! When I'm moored for any length of time I normally run my generator or engine for at least 5 hours a couple of times per week.

I'm sorry but I'm tempted to say, get used to sharing your space with others or get off the waterways. What we don't need is ever stricter rules or codes of conduct to accommodate the delicate sensibilities of people who aren't able to handle other boaters moored near them.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2

Some folk don't even know why they're running their engine, ask some and I bet the odd answer will be,''Other folk seem to keep doing it, so I thought I'd better do it as it seems the normal thing to do''.

Some folk don't even know why they're running their engine, ask some and I bet the odd answer will be,''Other folk seem to keep doing it, so I thought I'd better do it as it seems the normal thing to do''.

I've never met anyone who doesn't know why they are running their engine.

• Greenie 1

I've never met anyone who doesn't know why they are running their engine.

My cousin was one until I paid him a visit on his boat, a very basic fit out, only electrics were lights and water pump. After each time we stopped he'd restart the engine after about ten minutes. He knew it charged his battery but they were always almost fully charged anyway, but he knew that. I asked him why he did it and that was his answer.

I bought a banjo with a view to learning to play it. I love trad jazz and the banjo is such an important part.

I couldn't stand the sound of it !

All my fillings rattled in my head. Got rid sharpish.

I did buy a ukelele and that was ok.

And that Canarian uke, a timple I think it was, I fancy one of them now.

Sorry I got distracted then :)

Rog

When I have needed to run my engine when moored I have been and had a word with the boats moored nearest first. This was not true when I went to shows, rally's etc as they normally have set engine run hours and nearly everyone is running their engine.

When I have needed to run my engine when moored I have been and had a word with the boats moored nearest first. This was not true when I went to shows, rally's etc as they normally have set engine run hours and nearly everyone is running their engine.

That's what most folk did do years ago, regardless of the 8 till 8 thing, which most boaters had not even heard of.

That's what most folk did do years ago, regardless of the 8 till 8 thing, which most boaters had not even heard of.

Still haven't where I live! Nor have some heard that it is naughty to run in gear when moored!

My two pennorth.

If I was on a Visitor Mooring and somebody else was running their engine then I accept that they need to do that to charge the batteries, get some hot water etc. If I was moored in the middle of nowhere with not a single boat in sight and somebody moored right next to me and ran their engine for an extended period then I wouldn't be best pleased. Whether I had a confrontation with them or upped pins and moved off would largely depend on what mood I was in.

• Greenie 1

I'm more irritated by the incorrect use of 'you're'

'You're' is a contraction of 'you' and 'are', as in you're welcome, or you're one of the best

'Your' indicates possession, as in your wife or YOUR ENGINE!

You missed post 4 then? (Which made the same point, but more elliptically. wink.png )

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

If the bloke had left his engine running next to me, and then gone off leaving the boat unoccupied, I think he would have returned to find a potato rammed into his exhaust.

I am not one often stirred to such actions, but I have to say that certainly if it was a rural location and a boat came up and moored next to me and then went off leaving the engine running I would say something if I spotted it happening at the time, and might well move the boat or turn of the engine if I was aiming for quiet.

Yes, I don't think anyone can reasonably complain about a neighbor's engine being run during normal permitted hours. Unfortunately some people seem to have got it into their heads and adopted an attitude of "I got here first, so it's my mooring", which of course it is not. It's a public space for those with the correct licences.

'm sorry but I'm tempted to say, get used to sharing your space with others or get off the waterways. What we don't need is ever stricter rules or codes of conduct to accommodate the delicate sensibilities of people who aren't able to handle other boaters moored near them.

I think its called common courtesy though, is it not? If I parked outside someone's house and left my car running outside it for four hours to charge the battery because it had done a lot of short runs recently and I felt it was getting a bit low, they would be really rather pissed off I would expect, especially if out in the garden on a nice day, and rightly so. I would take it somewhere away from people, or invest in a more suitable solution like (in this case) a mains charger.

If I was on a Visitor Mooring and somebody else was running their engine then I accept that they need to do that to charge the batteries, get some hot water etc. If I was moored in the middle of nowhere with not a single boat in sight and somebody moored right next to me and ran their engine for an extended period then I wouldn't be best pleased. Whether I had a confrontation with them or upped pins and moved off would largely depend on what mood I was in.

Sounds largely fair to me.

- It does become more difficult on a visitors mooring if there is not another space, and I am a very long way from intolerant. However I also really struggle to understand the need to run an engine if visiting a place for one presumes 24/48hours. Maybe in 48hours you need hot water and might not have a gas water heater, the drone of an engine is very annoying as well as one of the most common reasons we loose visitors moorings in residential areas.

Daniel

I am not one often stirred to such actions, but I have to say that certainly if it was a rural location and a boat came up and moored next to me and then went off leaving the engine running I would say something if I spotted it happening at the time, and might well move the boat or turn of the engine if I was aiming for quiet.

I think its called common courtesy though, is it not? If I parked outside someone's house and left my car running outside it for four hours to charge the battery because it had done a lot of short runs recently and I felt it was getting a bit low, they would be really rather pissed off I would expect, especially if out in the garden on a nice day, and rightly so. I would take it somewhere away from people, or invest in a more suitable solution like (in this case) a mains charger.

Sounds largely fair to me.

- It does become more difficult on a visitors mooring if there is not another space, and I am a very long way from intolerant. However I also really struggle to understand the need to run an engine if visiting a place for one presumes 24/48hours. Maybe in 48hours you need hot water and might not have a gas water heater, the drone of an engine is very annoying as well as one of the most common reasons we loose visitors moorings in residential areas.

Daniel

Indeed Dan, an instantaneous gas water heater and a gas fridge or no fridge and there shouldn't be a need to run an engine for a week or more. Years ago it was wonderfully peaceful on the waterways, you had little fear of boats keep starting engines up around you whilst moored. We have a couple of boats here in the yard that keep running engines to heat water and they're on mains hook ups!!, they have no immersion heater elements in their calorifiers, its an awful drone, I keep suggesting having a gas Morco water heater fitted, ''cheapest way of heating water whilst stationary'', but they say, ooh we don't want one of those ugly things on the wall, I tell em to build a cupboard around it, but, no go. But instantaneous gas hot water heaters do seem to be making a bit of a come back, so some folk are getting a bit of sense.

Calling someone an idiot strikes me as more anti-social than running an engine.

Surely that depends on the engine.

A nice vintage, say, Gleniffer DB2 ticking over is a delight to listen to (so I was constantly told), unlike a Beta 43.

This is a depressing thread, I liked it more when we could talk about politics and even religion!!!!

Boats have engines and always have done, except for a brief period in history when they had horses, and I bet the forum moaners would have something to say if a horse crapped on the towpath.

Un-Silenced generators outside the boat might be antisocial but a running engine in permitted hours is part of canal life. If that's unacceptable then maybe a caravan on an official site with abundant rules and regulations would be better for those who can't cope.

Oh my god (oops religion???) the boat behind has just got his angle grinder out.

..............Dave

• Greenie 1

A nice vintage, say, Gleniffer DB2 ticking over is a delight to listen to (so I was constantly told), unlike a Beta 43.

I thought a DB2 was an Aston Martin. Lagonda engined, straight 6 double OHC.

This is a depressing thread, I liked it more when we could talk about politics and even religion!!!!

Boats have engines and always have done, except for a brief period in history when they had horses, and I bet the forum moaners would have something to say if a horse crapped on the towpath.

Un-Silenced generators outside the boat might be antisocial but a running engine in permitted hours is part of canal life. If that's unacceptable then maybe a caravan on an official site with abundant rules and regulations would be better for those who can't cope.

Oh my god (oops religion???) the boat behind has just got his angle grinder out.

..............Dave

As we no longer have politics and religion to argue over, I think I should point out that you are "totally totally wrong", and should be placed immediately in the forum pillory until you recant your heresy.

Boats were pulled by horse for *far longer* than they have had engines.

biggrin.png

Edited by PaulG

Hmmm, depends on the engine. My Kelvin is so goddam loud that it is far more social for me to run a genny twice a week. It's a bloody amazing sound when moving, but probably a bit much once stationary.