The last winding hole before Blisworth?

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

Above the lock is 60' (Max) - half a km further on is the winding hole which will take a full length boat easily. As Valrene9600 says the tunnel is really worth the experience (even if it is twice in one day); up to Blisworth Tunnel Boats and back will take you about 90 mins return.

Thanks . is there a booking requirement ? we will be there last week in May .

As long as you are narrow beam (7' max) then the tunnel is freely navigable at any time (unless there is a widebeam coming the other way - that's usually around 08:00 in the morning (Mon-Fri) if there is one booked). You'll know if one is booked because CRT will ask you to wait.

Topic title edited to add location!Daniel

Thanks Daniel, to be honest I had intentionally omitted the location in the hope the curiosity factor would ensure a reply. Evidently unnecessary . Some owners must actually like us amateurs .I'll endeavour to abide by the rules !

Thanks Daniel, to be honest I had intentionally omitted the location in the hope the curiosity factor would ensure a reply. Evidently unnecessary . Some owners must actually like us amateurs .I'll endeavour to abide by the rules !

No worries.

I did wonder if it was intentional, but did also see that there had been good replies, and which point if nothing else it makes it easier for people to find in future if looking for the same question in a rush, or to revisit the thread after some time.

We don't as such have fixed rules/guidelines on titles unlike some sites so nothing wrong or untoward was done.

Thanks

A reappraisal of our goals. Beginning from Wyvern shipping at Linslade, is it feasable to now Travers the tunnel and turn at Gayton junction and get back to Linslade within our 4 days ? Daylight hours in May are good and we are very early risers. Happy to cruise 9 hours with the obligatory pub lunch included . Unsure of course how the lock time factor impacts on this plan .

Others can probably advise better on where to stop in Milton Keynes - Black Horse at Linslade is fine, I seem to recall. There's another thread on Gifffard Park....

No Black Horse at Linslade I'm aware of. Black Horse is a fair amount further to the North.

This mention of the winding hole just south of Blisworth tunnel brings back embarrassing memories. Decades ago, on our first ever narrowboat holiday we travelled through the tunnel and began to make our first ever 180 degree turn. My wife and small son went up to the bows with the idea of using the pole to stop 20 tons of moving boat hitting the bank. Thinking about it now, that was a daft mistake but it seemed sensible at the time. The inevitable result was the pole smashing back through the glass of the bow doors and about £100 damages due to Alvechurch. We live and learn.

A reappraisal of our goals. Beginning from Wyvern shipping at Linslade, is it feasable to now Travers the tunnel and turn at Gayton junction and get back to Linslade within our 4 days ? Daylight hours in May are good and we are very early risers. Happy to cruise 9 hours with the obligatory pub lunch included . Unsure of course how the lock time factor impacts on this plan .

Is that 4 complete days? If so, then yes it is feasible (and if you run out of time you can just turn sooner) though I'd suggest that it would take a novice crew a little more than the quoted 12.5 hours, probably nearer 15.

However if your 4 days comprise an afternoon pickup followed by 2 days cruising and an early morning handing back, then it would be too far.

I have memories of that winding hole south of the tunnel, we came through the tunnel, turned the boat and then I reversed towards Stoke Bruerne, round a slight bend, past a few r moored boats on the narrow section before finding a mooring for ourselves.. I kept the engine in reverse the whole time, a text book manouevre ....... was there any one watching .... No!