Which generator?

nicknorman

Featured Posts

I have this one runs my 120amp charger bomb proof Yamaha mz80 engine http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Senci-SC2000i-Inverter-Petrol-Camping-Caravan-Generator-With-Yamaha-Engine-2kw-/272111841305?hash=item3f5b213019:g:NW8AAOSwqu9VABh4 but I am not happy with Carrieing petrol and trying to source it , so I have bought myself a demotic tec 30 diesel generator it will be kept in the bow under a cratch , so I am in the middle of installing it , so no more looking for petrol , also has remote start so I don't even have to go outside to start it ,

Edited by luggsy

No one has mentioned yet the Honda EX650. Although this was discontinued about 15 years ago there are still plenty of second hand ones around.

I've had mine for about thirty years and it still runs faultlessly and starts first pull. Admittedly it's not run extensively,but for occasional use, this might fit the bill.

I'm pretty sure it's still the quietest genny ever made.

eta: Ignore all this. I've just re-read the OP's requirement. This machine won't be powerful enough for him.

Edited by koukouvagia

i have this week been to look at the Hyundai HY2000SEi 2200w

for a friend and it is alot quieter than a honda.

Have a look at some user reviews before purchasing this generator.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/review/B0079YM2PQ/R33207TOS16I1W/ref=cm_cr_dp_aw_rvw_1?ie=UTF8&cursor=1

On the sound levels, the specs suggest it's about the same as the Honda. However the figure for the hyundai doesn't state what engine rpm it was tested at. Should be 1/4 load.

I have this one runs my 120amp charger bomb proof Yamaha mz80 engine http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Senci-SC2000i-Inverter-Petrol-Camping-Caravan-Generator-With-Yamaha-Engine-2kw-/272111841305?hash=item3f5b213019:g:NW8AAOSwqu9VABh4 but I am not happy with Carrieing petrol and trying to source it , so I have bought myself a demotic tec 30 diesel generator it will be kept in the bow under a cratch , so I am in the middle of installing it , so no more looking for petrol , also has remote start so I don't even have to go outside to start it ,

Ok, but you're talking serious money. Hardly comparable to even the most expensive suitcase generator.

http://www.onboardenergydirect.co.uk/shop/dometic-tec30-2-5kw-vehicle-based-diesel-generator.html

If I was spending that sort of money I'd have a 4.5kW Northern Lights water-cooled marine generator installed in the engine room.

https://www.northern-lights.com/recreational-marine/marine-generators/m673ld3-54-5-kw/

Edited by blackrose

Ok, but you're talking serious money. Hardly comparable to even the most expensive suitcase generator.http://www.onboardenergydirect.co.uk/shop/dometic-tec30-2-5kw-vehicle-based-diesel-generator.html

If I was spending that sort of money I'd have a 4.5kW Northern Lights water-cooled marine generator installed in the engine room.https://www.northern-lights.com/recreational-marine/marine-generators/m673ld3-54-5-kw/[/quote

not asking any one to compear the Dometic with a suitcase generator , just saying I am sick of looking for petrol and storeing it when I have got 2 tanks of diesel it just makes sense to go with a diesel genny , I picked the Dometic up for a lot less than a new Honda , the generator I was compearing agenst the Honda is the one I put the link up for

For what it's worth... I'm really hoping it is a case of you get what you pay for:

We had a cheapy clarke inveter genny that we had for 18 months before the inverter on it gave up, but it was cheap, it did overheat once and I was surprised it lasted as long as it did.

So I was most disappointed after spunking over 600 quid on a Hyundai HY2000sei for the inverter on it to give up after less than 2 months (about 50 hrs) having never getting wet or being overloaded.

I found someone at the company who sold it to me willing to talk candidly. They admitted to me that if you get a "good one" it will last but that there seems to be some "quality control" issues and quite a lot of dud ones get out into the wild and fail in this way quite quickly.

I got my money back and have a honda eu20i on it's way to me.

I was seduced by the electric remote start on the hyundai but at the end of the day I'd rather do a pull start on something that works! Also the honda is about 10kg lighter.

H

Thanks all for your thoughts. Its a pity there isn't a small suitcase diesel genny. I've decided to go for the Kipor ig2000. Hopefully, with the limited use it will get, it will be satisfactory. Ordering from Cactus who have them on special offer at the moment.

For what it's worth... I'm really hoping it is a case of you get what you pay for:

We had a cheapy clarke inveter genny that we had for 18 months before the inverter on it gave up, but it was cheap, it did overheat once and I was surprised it lasted as long as it did.

So I was most disappointed after spunking over 600 quid on a Hyundai HY2000sei for the inverter on it to give up after less than 2 months (about 50 hrs) having never getting wet or being overloaded.

I found someone at the company who sold it to me willing to talk candidly. They admitted to me that if you get a "good one" it will last but that there seems to be some "quality control" issues and quite a lot of dud ones get out into the wild and fail in this way quite quickly.

I got my money back and have a honda eu20i on it's way to me.

I was seduced by the electric remote start on the hyundai but at the end of the day I'd rather do a pull start on something that works! Also the honda is about 10kg lighter.

H

I think that it's a very competitive market between the various manufacturers, so in general you do get what you pay for and from a consumer perspective it's a good idea to shop around to get the best deal on your generator of choice.

I bought a second-hand Honda EU30i with electric start about 9 years ago. It's a great generator but the electric start has never worked because the battery was already knackered when I bought it. It's so easy to pull start I've never bothered to replace the battery.

If you're a bit of a DIY man, there is nothing to stop you installing a very small water-cooled two-cylinder Kubota, and attaching a decent alternator. Then the output can go via the domestic bank to an inverter of appropriate size.

Small Kubotas can be had for very little money, and the water colling will have two benefits. First, it'll be much quieter, and second it will provide hot water for heating the boat.

Biggles did something like this, though, being Biggles, it was a blooming great engine and 250 amp alternator.

I have a Briggs & Stratton P2000, it's a happy compromise between a Honda & a Kipor.

Good discounts out there if you look.

Incidentally I run it on Aspen fuel, horrendously expensive but doesn't go off like pump unleaded. Cleaner too.

Haven't used my Kipor 1000ig ffor a few weeks (Llangollen has free shore power) but I have been somewhat unhappy with it. I have done a diy gas conversion for safety and convenience reasons adn I can't get it to run smoothly. Keeps hunting up and down.

If I were to live my life again I would get one already converted. Having said that I have a long orange pgas pipe to it (4m) so that I don't have to lug it's bottle out of the gas locker. I have been wondering if there is a standing wave building up in the pipe. I will do that experiment once I have found someone to supply me with a couple of barbecue couplings.

Nick

Haven't used my Kipor 1000ig ffor a few weeks (Llangollen has free shore power) but I have been somewhat unhappy with it. I have done a diy gas conversion for safety and convenience reasons adn I can't get it to run smoothly. Keeps hunting up and down.

If I were to live my life again I would get one already converted. Having said that I have a long orange pgas pipe to it (4m) so that I don't have to lug it's bottle out of the gas locker. I have been wondering if there is a standing wave building up in the pipe. I will do that experiment once I have found someone to supply me with a couple of barbecue couplings.

Nick

Which end of this pipe is the pressure regulator?

That's the trouble then. Try a MUCH bigger diameter pipe, or move the regulator to the genny end.

Ah!

Before I do either of those I will make a serious assessment of whether I need the pipe as long as it is, which I don't. And cut it down to a more sensible length. It might work.

Ta, Mike.

I love my Champion one but haven't had it long enough to see any problems if there will be any.

It doesn't idle at the same speed as it does with Eco mode off, it matches the power draw. It's louder when I first plug in my Sterling charger then goes very quiet when it's only producing a small amount of power.