Macerator toilet of choice

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

One for owners of macerator toilets only, please.

Tecma or Jabsco? And what do you like about yours and what's not so good about it?

No degenerating into off-topic dump through vs macerator vs cassette please all you non-macerator owners!

Thanks.

I had a Tecma Silence for the past 8 years & it's been 100% reliable. No problems at all.

I have a Tecma that IIRC I installed in 2002, I don't know how silent the later "silent" ones are but the earlier ones definitely aren't.

The only design weakness that I am aware of (and again this might not apply to the later models) is the small balance pipe that runs between two sections of the rather complicated "U*" bend system from the ceramic pan to the pump. This is designed to stop airlocks from forming that prevent the pump operating correctly and if you do not de-scale frequently enough it can block. Clearing it is an unpleasant job. It happened a couple of times but then for the last few years I have been dosing it regularly with white vinegar and letting it soak, fingers crossed.

The only other fail was when someone who shall remain nameless dropped a perfume sample bottle and Flushed it !

New pump needed due to half the vanes being smashed off

I have a sanimarin and think most macerators are probably pretty much the same. As others have said making sure the installation is correct is probably more important than the choice of which toilet bowl you choose.

My SaniMarin has finally died. Flogging it for spares on ebay. I've been happy with it but I'm not in a position to try repair it or to pay someone else to. It's had a good innings. :lol:

Thanks everyone. I'm finding it hard to weigh up the vast price differences which is why I'm curious about reliability. Because if they're all full sized ceramic bowls I can't really understand the price differences ranging from about £500-£1000 with Jabsco and the Tecma Inlander at the cheaper end of the market, Vetus and Tecma Silence mid range and Lee Sanitation (Sani Marin) up at the top end. Seems like vast price differences which somehow must be reflected in the quality of the parts or longevity of the thing, surely? :unsure:

When our Sanimarin bowl broke in the big freeze of 2010 we couldn't get a replacement bowl, it only came with the macerator which was of a later design, being a rubber casing instead of the older plastic construction. Unfortunately, though it appeared to be better designed, it didn't flush as well, the new owner of Innisfree has swapped it back for the old plastic one and reports much better performance.

I have a Vetus and have not had any issues in the 18 months I have had the boat. The previous owner did not "do" DIY and there are no invoices on board for toilet repairs, so I presume it has been reliable for all of it's 8 years.

Seconded.Our Vetus system was installed five years ago and has worked perfectly.

Doesn't really explain the vast price variation amongst the models I've mentioned because they're all boat toilets.

I don't have the electrics set up for the domestic models. By time the 240v was installed the cumulative price would be higher than the top spec 12v loos. But for some people that might be a useful alternative.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

The bowl could be mounted upon a food grade hand operated mincing machine, much cheaper than all the fancy machinery. You could wind it whilst sitting there instead of twiddling thumbs. The macerating motion is similar to the teeth and stomach, it chops up, shreds, mashes and minces in order to digest properly and so wards off expensive,acute chronic constipation in the system. closedeyes.gif

The bowl could be mounted upon a food grade hand operated mincing machine, much cheaper than all the fancy machinery. You could wind it whilst sitting there instead of twiddling thumbs. The macerating motion is similar to the teeth and stomach, it chops up, shreds, mashes and minces in order to digest properly and so wards off expensive,acute chronic constipation in the system. closedeyes.gif

Tooooooo muchhhhhh information

The bowl could be mounted upon a food grade hand operated mincing machine, much cheaper than all the fancy machinery. You could wind it whilst sitting there instead of twiddling thumbs. The macerating motion is similar to the teeth and stomach, it chops up, shreds, mashes and minces in order to digest properly and so wards off expensive,acute chronic constipation in the system. closedeyes.gifPo-etry in motion.

I just noticed that you advised a "food grade" mincer. I do not want to know why icecream.gif

I just noticed that you advised a "food grade" mincer. I do not want to know why icecream.gif

My intention was to make it a ''quick release'' one, duel purpose, that could be used in the kitchen as well, But on second thoughts it might be more sensible to buy two. Always sensible, me.

When we bought our present boat it was fitted with a Rheinstrom Y10s

http://www.leesan.com/index.asp?m=3&b_idno=10&p=622&t=Rheinstrom%20Y10S%20Toilet,%2012v%20DC

It is without doubt the best sea/macerator toilet there is simple easy to use just expensive. Tank developed a leak so we took it out.

Edited by Loddon

When we bought our present boat it was fitted with a Rheinstrom Y10s

http://www.leesan.com/index.asp?m=3&b_idno=10&p=622&t=Rheinstrom%20Y10S%20Toilet,%2012v%20DC

It is without doubt the best sea/macerator toilet there is simple easy to use just expensive. Tank developed a leak so we took it out.

How did you get on without a tank?

I had a vetus but it started to play up. Tried to buy a new pump but you have to buy the bowl as well £800ish.

Bought a Jabsco instead for half that and spare parts are sold seperately.....been going well for the last 4 years (that's the loo).

Rob....

I do feel that with stuff for boats the price is set to partly reflect 'quality of parts' etc but also on what they think people will pay...........

If I was buying a macerator again I would investigate a domestic model (240vAC) as I am sure they would be lower cost.

If going by the experience of the only person I know about who uses one (on our moorings) I wouldn't.........he has had nothing but grief with it.

t9707.gif

Edited by John V