clothes drying

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

We have a small folding (Wilco I think) airer that fits in the A bath and stores in a wardrobe when folded. WE wring by had, put in the bath to drip and before turning in move it to near the stove. If not dry by morning its back in the bath once showering etc is done.

Where's all this moisture going, though? I'm not a liveaboard in winter, but even in Spring & Autumn if I hang clothes to dry near the stove, the windows are just running with water next morning.

Well I done a wash at 11.00 this morning and hung them straight up, now almost dry and no condensation what's so ever. So I suppose the answer is to do your washing at night and hang them up during the day when doors/windows are open.

Darren

We have a back canopy and as long as it's not raining for days on end a washing machine load dries to ' damp' in 24 hrs or like today, windy, 6 hrs . Then we have fitted 2 rails up towards the ceiling in the walk through bathroom and galley, for another 24 hrs . Bunny

We went the ceiling rail route near the stove. Seems to be very effective. We've put some in the engine room too. Those brass rods with support posts from Midland Chandlers look good upside down!

Edited by Loafer

Regarding moisture we never have condensation issues since I learnt to have the fire on 24/7 and windows open all the time, the front and back doors are often thrown open because its too hot and it helps circulate even more air. Generally my digital thermometer says our humidity is 10-25% in the summer and 20-45% in the winter. When the fire isn't on, say we ran out of coal or dry wood, it rockets to 80% +. When my mum was aboard and naively thought it would be best to close the windows they were streaming in the morning

been trying to find one in working order but not stupidly expensive for ages

You're right. I've just had a google and I can't believe what our old Acme mangle is worth. The trouble is people seem to want mangles as garden ornaments and decorative features.

Just take my washing to my mums and use her machine/dryer/electricty/detergent..... independent woman me.

I'm not even sure she realises I do this, as i work 5 mins from her's so go over in the day time when she is at work.

Edited by Lmcgrath87

We can nearly always get the laundry dry or nearly dry on the line outside by carefully choosing the best day for drying (windy is better than still but sunny at this time of year). Even this time of year, on a good day you can usually dry 3 loads outside.

Failing that or if we have weeks of wet weather it's hang it up on the washing line I've put up in the engine room (trad style boat with mid engine room). After running the engine for half an hour it's normally dry and ready for the next load!

The one thing we try to avoid is drying laundry inside due to the condensation others have mentioned. All that water from the washing has to go somewhere!

Tom

Little and often...

Washing your smalls every other day, handwringing (not of the religious kind)and displaying on one of those "caravan" racks for a few hours gets the worst of the water out. Then a night before the fire finishes them off ..... one way or another!

never had a "condo" problem but keep the fire in more than many

Did washing yesterday, lit stove, hung washing on cloths horse, now dry and another load is drying.

Winter is fine for drying clothes on board all the moisture goes up the flue. Plus its all spun at 1400rpm gets much more moisture out than 1100rpm.

Spring and autumn is the difficult time as there is no fire on and the moisture has not got the flue to exit by

Edited by Loddon

Not a boat, but over winter I continue used my conservatory to good effect. Even this time of year 24hours in there with the windows ajar everything drys enough to require only a 'light airing' inside before putting away, and could be replicated under any other covered area such as a cratch area.

Daniel