Halogen Ovens as an alternative to Gas?

Chagall

Featured Posts

Im starting a new thread since I hi jacked the gas thread!

Anbody else use one and can advise please? I miss proper chips!

So far Ive looked at http://www.amazon.co...L160_SR151,160_

and been reccomended this https://www.andrewja...x?ProductID=278

We tried one for a while on the boat. Not impressed. Used it twice, then gave it to daughter.

and basically they are a small pot/oven with an element of 1400 watts above the contents and a fan.

In theory should be more economical than using a full size electric oven.

To some up it is a small oven and used as such may work well, it is not a frying machine.

Anyone for an automatic coffee machine that are cheap to buy but, the 'special' pods of coffee, very expensive per cup.

or

Perhaps a juicer, so that you can purée your food.

There must be even more 'must haves' that are used twice and then put in a cupboard never to be seen again.

Sorry Chagall I digress, personally I would not give work space.

Yeah, Im rapidly coming to that... I shall ask for a breadmaker for Christmas instead, I have never yet managed to make good bread by hand.

My Panasonic breadmaker was £5, unused and in its box, from the tip.

Likewise I have a lovely little pizza oven that lives in the caravan again brand new from the tip for a fiver.

I had a small halogen oven for a few years and it was ok - drew 1kW and it cooked quicker than a conventional oven. But it's only for use on shore power, or perhaps a generator. I found that the fan didn't really distribute the heat properly and you had to turn whatever was being cooked at least once otherwise the lamp would burn the top and the bottom would go uncooked. I got rid of mine once I installed a proper gas oven. I don't really understand why people want high power mains electrical items on boats, unless it's just temporarily. Gas is the obvious way to go.

Edited by blackrose

That one is professional quality though whereas mine is similar but definitely domestic.

Makes nice pizzas though (Well...I make nice pizzas and this does them far more justice than an erratic old caravan lpg oven).

Gas is the obvious way to go.

Definitely when you're on the move but if you're on hook-up and it works out cheaper than calor bottles you might as well use it.

Oh dear! We bought one from Aldi 4 years ago...........use it a lot, makes GREAT chips actually, just had some for tea tonight!.......one of the best bits of kit we've ever bought.......wouldn't be without it!

How do you make chips in a halogen oven? I'm intrigued. Shirley chips have to be fried in fat...

That yesterday's cooking, a pan of hot beef fat and sticks of potato dropped in.

Article on the news this morning saying there is good evidence this is less carcinogous than cooking in vegetable oil.

I still don't see how chips can be cooked in a halogen oven. Surely they would be baked spud sticks?

How do you make chips in a halogen oven? I'm intrigued. Shirley chips have to be fried in fat...

Cut spuds into chips, pat dry with tea towel, toss them in 2 tablespoons of olive oil to coat them, chuck em into bottom of halogen bowl.

Cook em, eat em!

Simple (wont mention that they're healthier too )

And don't call me Shirley!!?

Edited by jenevers