Can't undo the gas!

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

I think we start to run into stuff about risk and construction. It's easy to run away from a car fire, aeroplane fires kill you and people on the ground

Aeroplane fuel tanks are often part of the wing, full of baffles, stringers and rivets where car tanks are often a single piece these days. The possibility of leaks is greatly increased. Isn't it the SR-71 that leaks like a sieve on the ground?

I suspect a leaky fuel tank is safer in the air than on the ground. Airflow carries the stuff away

Where am I going with this?

Richard

But we are talking about filling the tank before putting away for the night, so it is just as easy to run from an aircraft burning in a hanger as it is a car fire Maybe easier as you won't have to start running from inside a moving vehicle.

We know they don't fill the tanks before flight, they put in as much as they need and toward the end of the flight the tank will be less than full.

I'm not sure how an increased risk of leaks would encourage you to fill the tank before storing. Surely the opposite would be true?

I believe the SR71 would be using JP-7 low volatility fuel with a triethylyborane chemical ignition system, so JP-7 leaks on the ground wouldn't be much of an explosion risk.

I would suspect that a leaky fuel tank would be much more of a danger in the air as the airflow would atomise the fuel but I'm just guessing.

But we are talking about filling the tank before putting away for the night, so it is just as easy to run from an aircraft burning in a hanger as it is a car fire Maybe easier as you won't have to start running from inside a moving vehicle.

We know they don't fill the tanks before flight, they put in as much as they need and toward the end of the flight the tank will be less than full.

I'm not sure how an increased risk of leaks would encourage you to fill the tank before storing. Surely the opposite would be true?

I believe the SR71 would be using JP-7 low volatility fuel with a triethylyborane chemical ignition system, so JP-7 leaks on the ground wouldn't be much of an explosion risk.

I would suspect that a leaky fuel tank would be much more of a danger in the air as the airflow would atomise the fuel but I'm just guessing.

Let me tell you, young feller-me-lad, I've worked with AMK!

What were we talking about, it's been raining since then

I think

Richard

I'm expecting a video of the great event. wink.png

I'm not going to though, as it's pishing with rain and walking about in a marina looking for a specific boat when you don't knwo where it is can easily involve walking a mile of pontoons, and you still miss it!

Ok all done. I've loosened the nut on the water tank, fed the gas bottles and filled up the cat.

All ready for when you get home!

:cheers:

I'm impressed! It damn nigh impossible to fill our cat

Richard