Remote starting??

ROBDEN

Featured Posts

Pouring rain. A cruiser stern. Box on the back with the electrics inside.

To save going outside to start the engine, can the ignition switch and stop button

just be duplicated to the other side of said box, which would put them inside the boat

or can you buy a dedicated remote starter/stop device?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Rob….

The way I'd do it is to move the ignition switch to the inside, and add a stop switch here too. Then put a remote start switch outside on the box. If you used a relay, the wires for the remote start switch could be much thinner and less concerns with voltage drpp etc

And the throttle? Tick over doesn't always deliver enough for effective charging.

I was just thinking that.....tickover sometimes isn't enough for starting

After a few soakings, one could develop the habit of leaving the throttle 1/4 open or so, with the neutral button pressed.

After a few soakings, one could develop the habit of leaving the throttle 1/4 open or so, with the neutral button pressed.

That was my thinking.

Fair weather boater comes to mind, LOL.

Neil

Cruiser stern, slippery ice/snow on the deck, not going anywhere just charging batteries.

Pram cover. wink.png

Tha devil's spawn.

The way I'd do it is to move the ignition switch to the inside, and add a stop switch here too. Then put a remote start switch outside on the box. If you used a relay, the wires for the remote start switch could be much thinner and less concerns with voltage drpp etc

I was thinking more like piggy-back connectors.

Only about six inches of wire

Edited by ROBDEN

You could piggyback onto it but you'd need to add both "ignition on" function and "start" function indoors, with the correct logic so that "start" can't be switched before "ignition on". And there's the voltage drop issue to consider too. There's a few different ways of wiring it, which adds the same functionality. But my suggestion of putting the ignition switch inside and a remote start outside, means that there's no facility to start the engine without the ignition key. Simply piggybacking would mean that someone could (in theory) break into the boat, then start and run the engine. Yes, I know they could simply hot-wire the boat to get round the ignition switch, given time. But I am thinking possibly the insurance company would dislike a claim if you'd installed a convenient button to start/run the engine with no ignition key.

There are plenty of lumpy water boats with two seperate helm stations so I don't see any reason why you couldn't fit a second to a narrowboat.

A bit different, I set a JP4 up so it could be started and stopped from the engine room and the wheelhouse

Richard

You can put as many start buttons as you like in parallel with each other, thats the easy bit. Do you stop the engine on the "Ignition" switch or press a stop button, does the switch have a heat position, these all need taking into account.

Edit

Simple answer is yes, but depending on set up may involve some buggering abaout

Edited by ditchcrawler

I was thinking about duplicating the stop button and the ignition.

Button operates inside or outside.

Ignition key likewise.

Rob....

Yep

smile.png

Nope! Cruiser stern. It's so SWMBO dosen't have to go outside when the weather is 'orrible.

Rob....

I was thinking about duplicating the stop button and the ignition.

Button operates inside or outside.

Ignition key likewise.

Rob....

Nope! Cruiser stern. It's so SWMBO dosen't have to go outside when the weather is 'orrible.

Rob....

How gallant of you!

Of course you could do the job.....

Regardless; the KISS principle should apply here. More complication invariably ends in tears - electrics fairly straightforward, but there will always be the occasion that the throttle was not set in the desired position.

How gallant of you!

Of course you could do the job.....

Regardless; the KISS principle should apply here. More complication invariably ends in tears - electrics fairly straightforward, but there will always be the occasion that the throttle was not set in the desired position.

Gallant??

Nothing to do with it.

It's her boat and she wants to start/stop it in comfort.....when needs be.

Rob....

Honestly Rob, this should be pretty easy. On the back of your instrument panel, find the terminals on the stop and start buttons and wire additional buttons in parallel with them

Richard

Agreed, I had no idea why it got complicated. The only thing about paralleling the ignition switch is that without complicated switching the individual switch that was used to turn the ignition on would have to be the one to turn in off.

Honestly Rob, this should be pretty easy. On the back of your instrument panel, find the terminals on the stop and start buttons and wire additional buttons in parallel with them

Richard

Thanks Richard. That's what I thought but what with the moon being in it's first quarter and being the end

of October aannnddd just had the poxy grass cutters round, I thought I'd better check.

Rob....

Agreed, I had no idea why it got complicated. The only thing about paralleling the ignition switch is that without complicated switching the individual switch that was used to turn the ignition on would have to be the one to turn in off.

And as for being able to start the engine without a key, I've often wondered why marinisers bother with that tractor key. I see Beta now do a version of their panel with a rotary switch instead, makes sense in the trad set up at least, where you have to be inside the boat to start the engine anyway.

I guess you'd need to add a little red notice to hang on it whilst down the weedhatch if that aspect bothers you.

Richard

Only thing I would add would be a key operated switch in series with the start button, just to stop unauthorised starting from that position.

Why not put a coat on and go outside, much cheaper and easier.

Mid-winter, something below zero, back deck covered in ice, if she slips and hurts herself

who is going to do the washing.....I suppose I could help and put a chair by the sink for her. wink.png