How to tell the size of the water pipes?

Featured Posts

Hello. In the absence of any callipers, I'm trying to work out what size (mm or BSP or whatever) and type (Speedfit or something?) the pipes are in the water system on my boat.

I've tried measuring with a measuring tape but just can't get an accurate measurement.

The pipes aren't brilliantly accessible but I've taken photos of what's written on those I can get to in case that means anything to anyone. It's a 1997 Black Prince ex hire boat if that helps

Any ideas?

20151023_170044_zpshdxnttg0.jpg

20151023_170039_zpsajw1vk9t.jpg

20151023_170004_zpswyb5lwvj.jpg

20151023_170048_zps6ekfdui3.jpg

I find it 'difficult' to gauge the size of anything in a photo if there's nothing to scale it against - for example a pound coin is around 25mm in diameter - so stick it against the pipe would give a reference point.

You're looking at conventional plastic water pipe and IMHO therre are two sizes 15mm and 22mm - I've never seen the latter, so my guess is it's 15mm 'cos that's the most used by far.

Now I'm going to look at Screwfix to see how wrong I am.

edit: Yes, I am, the stuff's availabe in 22 and 15mm as above but nowadays 10mm as well - I'm talking about the stuff available in coils - which is what yours is.

Edited by OldGoat

A simple makeshift caliper can be made from a length of box wire. Just bend to a circle, open out and by bending and manipulating gently to get the two ends to fit over the pipe circumference exactly without them trying to prize open at all and without any play and then hold the two ends against a ruler to get the measurement. This should be accurate enough as these pipes come in quite differing diameters, 15mm, 18mm, 22mm, 28mm.

Without actually measuring them I would stick my neck out and say that they are 15 mm (inside diameter / bore)

A

A quick goggle gives 15mm bore = 25mm outside diameter, and 22mm bore =30mm o/d

Lay a tape measure across the pipe(@ 90 degrees) to measure o/d

All sizes are outside diameter, same as copper or stainless steel.

Water pipes to taps normally 15mm OUTSIDE diameter.

Water pipes to shower may be 22mm OUTSIDE diameter.

Central heating pips could be either, or different.

Drain pipes larger 32 or 41mm OUTSIDE diameter.

Very old boats may have imperial size pipes.

Lay a tape measure across them and retake and repost the pictures and we can prob. tell you.

Edited by Tiggs

Without actually measuring them I would stick my neck out and say that they are 15 mm (inside diameter / bore)

A

Not correct at all I'm afraid.

Possibly you have managed to Google references to ribbed conduit pipe, rather than barrier water pipe?

The sizings for barrier water pipe of 15mm and 22mm relate to external diameter.

15mm is so different from 22mm that BSP should easily be able to work out which it is. 15mm is far more likely, but on an ex hire boat 22mm not impossible in places, I would say.

No need for calipers or complicated wire contraptions, just get a piece of thin card and draw two lines 15mm apart at 90 degrees from the edge, cut them in about 15mm and fold back the flap, try this over the pipe, if it fits commfortably you have 15mm piple. if not open the space out to 22mm and try again.

Thanks everyone. I just found something I forgot I had (coz it doesn't fit anything on my boat so I never use it) - a tiny adjustable spanner! And it opens up to just the right size to fit over the pipes. So I've measured the gap between its gnashers and it's 15mm.

Cheers everyone. :)

Thanks everyone. I just found something I forgot I had (coz it doesn't fit anything on my boat so I never use it) - a tiny adjustable spanner! And it opens up to just the right size to fit over the pipes. So I've measured the gap between its gnashers and it's 15mm.

Cheers everyone. smile.png

Well done

A

Lay a tape measure across the pipe(@ 90 degrees) to measure o/d

Not a plumber I assume. Back in the dark ages (pre-mid 70's actually) all pipe sizes referred to the bore diameter, and were measured in imperial dimension. Since metrification, all pipe sizes rerfer to the outside diameter therfore 1/2" became 15mm; 3/4" came 22mm, and 1" became 28mm.

Not a plumber I assume. Back in the dark ages (pre-mid 70's actually) all pipe sizes referred to the bore diameter, and were measured in imperial dimension. Since metrification, all pipe sizes rerfer to the outside diameter therfore 1/2" became 15mm; 3/4" came 22mm, and 1" became 28mm.

It all went pear shaped when the price of copper shot up so they made the wall thinner, but had to keep the outside the same to fit the fittings

Honestly, nothing like making it komperlicated!

Those look like 15mm pipes. If they are roughly the sizer of yer finger, they are 15mm.

Sorted!

I have bony fingers like ET. If the pipes were roughly the size of me finger, they'd be about 11mm in diameter. Parts of the body gauging is all very well in a single-gender dominated industry. ;)

Its almost certainly 15mm Hep2O.

...........Dave (but I have had a few pints)

How can you tell it's Hep20 not Speedfit? (She asks having already placed the order on Midland Swindlers for the wrong type... )

I have bony fingers like ET. If the pipes were roughly the size of me finger, they'd be about 11mm in diameter. Parts of the body gauging is all very well in a single-gender dominated industry. wink.png

No, I had accounted for your being a GURL.

BOUY's fingers are 22mm in diameter.

No, I had accounted for your being a GURL.

BOUY's fingers are 22mm in diameter.

Bet prehensile monkey appendages are bigger than that (matron!)

No seriously, Tree Monkey has strong hanging-from-branches type fingers. But maybe they just look like that next to my Twiglet fingers.

I have bony fingers like ET. If the pipes were roughly the size of me finger, they'd be about 11mm in diameter. Parts of the body gauging is all very well in a single-gender dominated industry. wink.png

How can you tell it's Hep20 not Speedfit? (She asks having already placed the order on Midland Swindlers for the wrong type... )

Should still fit OK

Bet prehensile monkey appendages are bigger than that (matron!)

No seriously, Tree Monkey has strong hanging-from-branches type fingers. But maybe they just look like that next to my Twiglet fingers.

Monkey has wide, flat fingers, innit. I was looking at his hands on the BCN challenge and was thinking about how much they sort of look like ET's.

I dint tell him though, that would have been rude.

Monkey has wide, flat fingers, innit. I was looking at his hands on the BCN challenge and was thinking about how much they sort of look like ET's.

I dint tell him though, that would have been rude.

I'm the one with ET fingers though! Monkey has to go get his own bodypart double looky likey. ;)

ET.wallpaper.jpg

Should still fit OK

Phew! Thanks. :) Edited by BlueStringPudding