How to tell the size of the water pipes?

Featured Posts

Yup. A friend of mine once remarked on the similarity of his wife's wedding ring to a 15mm olive, and his to a 22mm olive. (I don't think she was too impressed!)

laugh.png excellent money saving idea there

Are you mad - do you have any idea how much it would cost to plumb up even the simplest of water systems if you used wedding rings instead of olives throughout? :lol:

And Buy your pipe and fittings from tool station, screwfix or a plumbers all are cheaper than the swindlers even on freaky Friday.

Neil

Unkind.

The chandleries have to make their margin somewhere. If we buy everything that can be bought more cheaply from high-volume outlets from non-chandlery places then obviously they will have to charge a higher markup for marine stuff or offer a reduced service such as mail-order only.

So they stock plumbing stuff at a high price for those who can afford it or who need the convenience of their local chandlery or the advice that often comes with it. But they are not trying to cheat anybody. They are just pricing reasonably for the type of service they are offering.

I like Midland Chandlers. I think they do what they try to do quite well. I am happy to pay a fair price for most goods and I avoid those items that are clearly priced for the luxury end of the market.

(for plumbing I prefer Screwfix & JG/speedfit stuff for general bits & have used BES & JTM(?) for obscure bits)

Unkind.

The chandleries have to make their margin somewhere. If we buy everything that can be bought more cheaply from high-volume outlets from non-chandlery places then obviously they will have to charge a higher markup for marine stuff or offer a reduced service such as mail-order only.

So they stock plumbing stuff at a high price for those who can afford it or who need the convenience of their local chandlery or the advice that often comes with it. But they are not trying to cheat anybody. They are just pricing reasonably for the type of service they are offering.

I like Midland Chandlers. I think they do what they try to do quite well. I am happy to pay a fair price for most goods and I avoid those items that are clearly priced for the luxury end of the market.

(for plumbing I prefer Screwfix & JG/speedfit stuff for general bits & have used BES & JTM(?) for obscure bits)

our local chandlers are Force 4 and I am pleased to say that much of their stock is cheaper or as cheap as I could get on ebay or a hardware outlet.

.................. excluding things like stainless steel bolts in packets of three (that takes me back a few years - why did they always sell 'them' in threes - I never needed more than two on a good night?) blush.png

Edited by Murflynn