Some Cracking Tools At Lidl Next Week

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

I got a set a few years ago, on similar offer. The air chisel is a bit wasteful of air (probably a good thing, as mine's got a needle gun attachment on it, and a minute or so gets hands and arms vibrating!) My socket gun and driver aren't up to much either, but overall it was good value.

Wow that Da and Shotblast gun is cheap, how do they make them for that kinda money.

Off the backs of slaves in sweatshops in China.

"Who makes Parkside tools?" -

"The company that supplies them to Lidl is Kompernass but this doesn't answer your question about who makes them. Presumably, they are made in factories in China which also make products with well-known brand names. If they share designs or components with the major brands I suppose those major tool companies take all kinds of measures to make sure we can't find those things out."

"most of this cheapo tackle, and even some of the 'branded' stuff is made in the Chinese Gulags by slave labour (political prisoners, crims, etc) who are obviously un-waged, hence the low prices over here. Even some of my favoured tackle (DeWalt ... yum) is being now knocked together in Mexico, not the US ... again cheap labour South of the Border resulting in redundancy/layoff in the States. I suspect the build quality may well suffer in future?

A lot of the cheapo stuff has plastic gearing and other inards so may not hold-up to much wellie, clearly this is a problem to pros but less of an issue for the DIYer. Nothing wrong with some of this cheapo stuff IMO if used in the correct situation (DIY/occasional).

I couldn't resist an Aldi air nailer/stapler combo they were selling 3 or 4 years ago for £19 ... a lovely bit of kit! I'm afraid the Guardian reader in me was over-ruled by the tool lover in me - I somehow forgot about all those poor Chinese guys under the lash ... shame on me"

"i'm sorry to disagree with this writer about the the Chinese Gulags and lashes (Who makes parkside tools)

As a visitor and trader with China, I can say this for a fact; most prices are driven down by the "First buyer market" USA because of the huge distribution available there and they want it for the least bucks.

Second market, Germany, always happy for a bargain, then the rest of the EU, price according to national income statistics. when you see what the "distributers" will offer the factory owner per piece, in return for volume, there is only one answer, "sell em cheap, stack em high" and you can't understand how cheap cheap is.

Only the factory owner and a few Big importers will make out of that deal. Please don't imagine there is any surpus to pay the workers.

Secondly, the Chinese can produce very good stuff.

When the Japanese started pulling out of the Chinese co-operatives, because the factories wanted to produce-share in a little of the "Rewards of their labours" the Japanese simply went to Malaysia and Indonesia, S Korea etc, new folks new deals. New Nikons for example.

Before we whip the Chinese factory systems, perhaps we ought to test the whip a little closer home, perhaps on governments and the people that allow cheap disposable crap to be made and chucked in the bin after 10 mins to be made and imported, then hopefully, we might pay just a bit more and get a bit more back to the factory incumbents.

Lastly, big prices do not mean big quality, they mean security to the user and a "Back" to goods, but quite frankly they cannot either be justified as they part of the same sly marketing scheme to outwit the dim."

"I also have a very high opinion of Parkside tools - they are well built and work better and last longer than the other cheapo brands. For occasional or secondary use they are excellent value.

I found this thread while trying to decide whether to buy a Parkside generator that is in Lidl here (France) tomorrow for 199 Euros (about £180). A small power tool is one thing - when it dies you generally chuck it out and get another one. But you can't do that with a £180 generator - you want to be able to get spares. So I Googled and discovered that there is no source of spare parts for Parkside products at all. I found several owners of Parkside tools frustrated by not being able to get parts. So I have decided not to buy the generator.

I'm getting fed up with not being able to get spares for things - I just chucked out a Performance Pro (B&Q) compressor because the unloader valve broke and I couldn't find one anywhere.

So I would say Parkside are good tools, but I don't think they are viable for something as big as a generator.

By the way, if you want tools you can repair, go for Bosch - any part for any Bosch product is available to order online."

Plusses and minuses - you pays yer money - are there no British firms that make tools in Britain and are proud to let people know, even to the point of inviting potential buyers to come and have a look round their factories/workshops?

"The company that supplies them to Lidl is Kompernass but this doesn't answer your question about who makes them. Presumably, they are made in factories in China which also make products with well-known brand names. If they share designs or components with the major brands I suppose those major tool companies take all kinds of measures to make sure we can't find those things out."

"most of this cheapo tackle, and even some of the 'branded' stuff is made in the Chinese Gulags by slave labour (political prisoners, crims, etc) who are obviously un-waged, hence the low prices over here. Even some of my favoured tackle (DeWalt ... yum) is being now knocked together in Mexico, not the US ... again cheap labour South of the Border resulting in redundancy/layoff in the States. I suspect the build quality may well suffer in future?

A lot of the cheapo stuff has plastic gearing and other inards so may not hold-up to much wellie, clearly this is a problem to pros but less of an issue for the DIYer. Nothing wrong with some of this cheapo stuff IMO if used in the correct situation (DIY/occasional).

I couldn't resist an Aldi air nailer/stapler combo they were selling 3 or 4 years ago for £19 ... a lovely bit of kit! I'm afraid the Guardian reader in me was over-ruled by the tool lover in me - I somehow forgot about all those poor Chinese guys under the lash ... shame on me"

"i'm sorry to disagree with this writer about the the Chinese Gulags and lashes (Who makes parkside tools)

As a visitor and trader with China, I can say this for a fact; most prices are driven down by the "First buyer market" USA because of the huge distribution available there and they want it for the least bucks.

Second market, Germany, always happy for a bargain, then the rest of the EU, price according to national income statistics. when you see what the "distributers" will offer the factory owner per piece, in return for volume, there is only one answer, "sell em cheap, stack em high" and you can't understand how cheap cheap is.

Only the factory owner and a few Big importers will make out of that deal. Please don't imagine there is any surpus to pay the workers.

When the Japanese started pulling out of the Chinese co-operatives, because the factories wanted to produce-share in a little of the "Rewards of their labours" the Japanese simply went to Malaysia and Indonesia, S Korea etc, new folks new deals. New Nikons for example.

Before we whip the Chinese factory systems, perhaps we ought to test the whip a little closer home, perhaps on governments and the people that allow cheap disposable crap to be made and chucked in the bin after 10 mins to be made and imported, then hopefully, we might pay just a bit more and get a bit more back to the factory incumbents.

Lastly, big prices do not mean big quality, they mean security to the user and a "Back" to goods, but quite frankly they cannot either be justified as they part of the same sly marketing scheme to outwit the dim."

"I also have a very high opinion of Parkside tools - they are well built and work better and last longer than the other cheapo brands. For occasional or secondary use they are excellent value.

I found this thread while trying to decide whether to buy a Parkside generator that is in Lidl here (France) tomorrow for 199 Euros (about £180). A small power tool is one thing - when it dies you generally chuck it out and get another one. But you can't do that with a £180 generator - you want to be able to get spares. So I Googled and discovered that there is no source of spare parts for Parkside products at all. I found several owners of Parkside tools frustrated by not being able to get parts. So I have decided not to buy the generator.

I'm getting fed up with not being able to get spares for things - I just chucked out a Performance Pro (B&Q) compressor because the unloader valve broke and I couldn't find one anywhere.

So I would say Parkside are good tools, but I don't think they are viable for something as big as a generator.

By the way, if you want tools you can repair, go for Bosch - any part for any Bosch product is available to order online."

Plusses and minuses - you pays yer money - are there no British firms that make tools in Britain and are proud to let people know, even to the point of inviting potential buyers to come and have a look round their factories/workshops?

For the abridged version I would suggest members read post #10 (the one above Foxy's)

Gee Whizz, wacko.png

Sweat Shops are gross, i have to be carefull here but their is a certain technology manufacturer of gadgets that has a very high suicide rate.

It is sad that they make them so cheap, when items are that cheap in the uk it does make us think though.

Maybe we dont pay the price that other people pay the price for trying to put dinner on their family's tables while working in these underpayed sweat shops.sad.png

Fair Trade all the way. great post Mr Fox

Well, there's Starrett's , who are local to us in Jedburgh, and seem to employ all those in the town who don't work for Mainetti.

But even they have some production facilities in China.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Sweat Shops are gross, i have to be carefull here but their is a certain technology manufacturer of gadgets that has a very high suicide rate.

An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor Away:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides

They do seem very careless, falling from buildings (pushed?). Perhaps CRT should build a fence there a la Marple?

My guess would be they are made in China or some other very low wage economy but I could be wrong.

The other reason is that Parkside are poor quality tools. Raving about bargains is all well and good, but if the products are crap then it may be a false economy - unless of course you're just using the tool once or twice.

Edited by blackrose

The other reason is that Parkside are poor quality tools. Raving about bargains is all well and good, but if the products are crap then it may be a false economy - unless of course you're just using the tool once or twice.

i was going to say that aswell and false economy in cheap tools, good for a few hours graft but then thats it and then you cant get parts for them, even motor brush`s.

then you cant get parts for them, even motor brush`s.

Not just cheap tools I bought a Bosch Lawnmower (not their cheapest model) less than two years ago. I needed a switch searched the net no sign. Contacted Bosch the only spares they do are the blade and a couple of things associated with the blade.

Does anybody think the compressor and needle gun are worth buying . Will a needle gun get blacking off a hull as well as rust and old paint ?

I recently borrowed a compressor from work and bought a cheapish (£40) needle gun from Machinemart which operated at the same 6 bar maxmum pressure as that Lidl one. I used it to take the old cement/epoxy coating off the inside of my integral water tank. It came with a few different attachments - the needles weren't great because I think to be effective needle guns need to operate at higher pressures, but the chisel attachment really worked well - I just had to sharpen it from time to time with an angle grinder.

If they are any good then the Lidl needlegun and chipping hammer are bargains, but a needle gun like that is really only of use for small areas - so for an entire hull it's not going to be much good for you.

Edited by blackrose

. Raving about bargains is all well and good, but if the products are crap then it may be a false economy - unless of course you're just using the tool once or twice.

Indeed. earlier this year we bought a garden shredder from B&Q, their own brand but Chinese-made. We plugged it in and Mrs. Athy started happily feeding it small pieces of wood to chomp up. After TEN MINUTES it hiccupped, burped and ground (?) to a halt after disgorging half of one of its internal castings through the exit hole. To my surprise, B&Q gave us an immediate refund with no questions asked - this suggests that they must be used to poor quality in their Chinese-sourced tools

Silver lining: I never wanted the bloody thing anyway.

Edited by Athy