Boat at Whilton

bramley

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Just wanted to say buyer beware for a boat for sale at Whilton Marina.

My mother and step father fell in love with boat 50ft Pelangi.

Upon discussing offers of this boat with Whilton, I asked if they had already received offers for the boat. They claimed they had received a offer but it actually fell apart at survey stage, it was suggested the engine overheated on the day and the surveyor stoped the survey and left.

The salespeople at Whilton suggested there guys had looked at it and sorted it, apparently something simple. It seemed strange but I am a mechanical person myself and understand that sometimes s**t happens such as a water leak, or something simple causing a problem. The engine bay looked immaculate in my opinion anyway.

We booked a survey with a recommended person on this forum, however sadly and frustratingly he also had problems with the engine, lots of blue smoke, overheating and a lack of power. Recommended further investigation but suggestion low on power and engine probably ruined.

So being my parents first ever boat, I told them not to be put of which they were not although very disappointed. However after several discussions with Whilton it seemed this may drag on and on as the seller wanted to bring his own engineer, then there was discussions that it was a thermostat, or a water pump (basically guessing) We got our deposit back.

I was really annoyed as they stated there engineers had looked at the boat and deemed it ok, if they had not said this we would not have spent £800 for a survey and crane out.

However I notice today on Whiltons twitter. "New boat for sale: Pelangi. 1992, 49.6ft Cruiser Style #narrowboat. Price: £29950. Read more: http://bit.ly/13kPlxX " I just wanted to point out this is not a new boat, it has failed (if you can) two surveys and has been there since august with two purchasers pulling out. Shame on Whilton Marina for this!

So just be carfull it probably requires a new engine two very well recommended and respected surveyors have suggested this.

Cheers

Ross

Edited by bramley

Looks a nice tidy boat

surely if the engine is knackered, then the amount you offered,can be ajusted and discounted to repair or replace engine and a bit more for agravation etc

you could end up with a boat with a rebuilt engine or even better new

col

Edited by bigcol

was a nice boat but nobody wanted to believe it needed what was being suggested. So there was no chance of dropping the price required. Then you just have a boat where you have huge risk I suppose and if you bought it and the engine went a few weeks later with no comeback is not worth the risk imo.

My parents were devastated.

Lets say the engine is a Beta

couldnt you come to a agreement with the the seller/ broker, that you would get a beta engineer agent to come down at your expense look at the engine investijgate the fault, and if one found,

then seller will pay for repairs or discount the boat by the amount of repair bill,

col

Edited by bigcol

My experience is that they use any underhand tactics possible. The negotiators there conduct business as poorly and unethically as the least honourable estate agents I've ever experienced.

So expect the worst. Buyer beware indeed.

MtB

Lets say the engine is a Beta

couldnt you come to a agreement with the the seller/ broker, that you would get a beta engineer agent to come down at your expense look at the engine investijgate the fault, and if one found,

then seller will pay for repairs or discount the boat by the amount of repair bill,

col

The problem is nobody would say it needed a engine, just that they had checked it over and was deemed ok. they moved it around the marina and never had a problem type of thing.

You did get your deposit back though?

Surely if you buy subject to survey then it is the result of the survey that drives your actions. As things stand, the survey is independent in that the buyer appoints the surveyor and if that surveyor finds against the boat that is the end of it, deal cancelled.

The problem is nobody would say it needed a engine, just that they had checked it over and was deemed ok. they moved it around the marina and never had a problem type of thing.

One can move a boat around a pond on one working cylinder out of four.

MtB #6. Say it as it is Man! Seriously, thank's for that head up (Discliamer required to avoid suit for slander? ) I have an eye on 1 of two Marmite boats there at a price I could afford.

I'll 'phone a freind before I buy.

You did get your deposit back though?

Surely if you buy subject to survey then it is the result of the survey that drives your actions. As things stand, the survey is independent in that the buyer appoints the surveyor and if that surveyor finds against the boat that is the end of it, deal cancelled.

Yes this is it. while disappointed It is what it is. we got back out deposit and are now down £800. I wish the marina did not give us false hope but this is what it is.

My major worry and the reason for the thread is the fact Whilton Marina are offering this as a *NEW* Boat just in... so somebody else may waste another £800....

When I was looking to buy I also went to Whilton. I may have given an impression that I didnt know much (and being fair I dont know much about electrics/gas/engines - yep Im a numpty) but I am not stupid. Whilton were by far the shadiest of all the brokerages I went to. I am in sales and so know all the blarny you can pull (if you choose to be dishonest ) I also teach sales training techniques - I would not ask these guys to sell anything nor would I buy from them.

I am sorry your parents were disappointed and out of pocket. Hope they find a better boat soon. Well done you for giving others a head up on this boat.

Louise

You can't rely on selling agents. We are looking to buy a bungalow which had an excellent survey with nothing wrong with it. It turns out it needs a complete rewire Just waiting for the gas report.

I get the impression that this is not uncommon. I think they changed the Electricity installation rules a few years ago so there are a lot of houses waiting for a rewire when they change hands

As for the OP, i wouldn't make an offer on a boat unless i could take it for a test drive first, best of luck finding the right one

When I was looking for a boat I was warned to stay well alone from Whilton Marina by just about everyone I met. I'm baffled why anyone would think of buying a boat from them when there are so many other brokerages around.

Because it is just possible that they may have the boat you are looking for.just has to be aware that they they will play down any problems and are sparing with the facts.

If a potential buyer is new to boating, make sure that you are accompanied by a person who knows what they are looking at.

Sounds like head gasket failure which is a £100 or so job, if you do it yourself, bit more if you need to pay an engineer too. I'd have thought the obvious fault would be a good bartering point on the price, thus the buyer may be able to get a bargain in the process if the seller is realistic?

Of course, there's always the risk that the block will need skimming too, or its a more serious issue such as rings or rebore required. Then you're into engine removal and rebuild territory.

PS If its valve stem oil seals there's the "rope trick" to change them in-situ.

Yes this is it. while disappointed It is what it is. we got back out deposit and are now down £800. I wish the marina did not give us false hope but this is what it is.

My major worry and the reason for the thread is the fact Whilton Marina are offering this as a *NEW* Boat just in... so somebody else may waste another £800....

I think worrying on behalf of other potential buyers is a bridge too far. It's their lookout not yours. If it troubles you to the point of doing something about it, I's suggest pursuing a complaint to Trading Standards as they are not honestly describing the boat when claiming it is 'new in'.

I predict TS will decline to act, telling you they have bigger fish to fry, so plan out in advance how you will field a refusal to act. There is bound be a way to press them on it but I don't know what it is. Do your homework on this before embarking on a formal complaint.

MtB

I looked at boats there 2 years ago , no undue pressure or problems but then aain I didn't put an offer in on a boat , well , one , which they said the seller would refuse immediatly so they were not going to ask . Have heard since that Whilton is sometimes , or often , the seller and they simply imply that they are only the agent .

Also got in touch with them about selling my boat and their " will travel anywhere to value your boat "offer , refused to travel and would only give a rather rude phone quote .

For a much better experience go and see Dominic at Rugby Boat Sales. He will make you forget Whilton I have no doubt. Look at his website first packed with general information. I have absolutely no connection, I am not even a satisfied customer :)

I thought the boat was very run of the mill and very dear btw, typical of Whilton.

Cheers guys, I am just wanting to let people know incase they do a search on the boat name or something.

We had negotiated the boat down initially subject to survey obviously I am sure the seller or us did not want to encounter engine problems.

We have been elsewhere and found other boats so its all good, and while we are £800 out of pocket its better than £27k out of pocket and a boat that needs serious engine work.

Rightly or wrongly Whilton have a shocking reputation on the cut, that is a fact. How much of this is actually deserved who can say but much of what I've heard is from personal accounts or comes from people I respect.

I would say that if you could prove that they knowingly deceived you into having a survey done on an unfit boat, just banking on the small possibility that the surveyor wouldn't check then you would be able to claim the money back off them in court.

And hang on, one more point, was it Whilton Marina that you paid for the lift?

Seek legal advice, make whoever you ask for advice aware that you can get copies of both the surveys (the previous surveyor will usually be happy to send you a copy of the survey they did for a fee).

Why do you have a quote from Lady Muck as your signature? Just curious.

Sigs are for something YOU want to say, surely?

MtB

Ah I just found it funny as all the things people say about Bridge hoppers. Was 4 years ago mind!

I would say that if you could prove that they knowingly deceived you into having a survey done on an unfit boat, just banking on the small possibility that the surveyor wouldn't check then you would be able to claim the money back off them in court.

And hang on, one more point, was it Whilton Marina that you paid for the lift?

Seek legal advice, make whoever you ask for advice aware that you can get copies of both the surveys (the previous surveyor will usually be happy to send you a copy of the survey they did for a fee).

We paid £200 for the lift out and £600 for the survey.

My feelings are through the words of the sales people suggesting it was fixed and no big deal lead us into a false sense of security that the boat was now fine. If they had said yeah it overheated on the first survey and we never looked at it or found the fault there would have been no offer made on the boat. The fact they said it was all sorted and there guys gave it a tweek seemed plausible as we all know that some little silly things can cause problems, leaking hose for example. Shouldn't have trusted them but it is what it is. To much grief to follow up further just pleased to get the £1000 deposit back.

Should it not be buyer beware with any boat purchase?

Yes it should. If you didn't bother to get a survey then it's your problem. Perhaps someone will buy this boat without and learn the hard way. I don't think it should matter who sells the boat and what their sales patter is (or isn't) as long as you can bring in your own surveyor.