Zebu sunk in Albert Dock

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

JS71322760.jpg

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/live-updates-efforts-recover-sunken-9988568

Emergency services are this morning at Albert Dock after being called at 4.30am to reports of the sinking of tall ship Zebu.

The 1938-built sailing ship was berthed near the Tate.

Firefighters used thermal imaging to confirm that nobody was on board the large ship - a wooden former Baltic trader - which is owned by Mersey Heritage Trust.

Edited by TheBiscuits

Firefighters used thermal imaging to confirm that nobody was on board the large ship - a wooden former Baltic trader - which is owned by Mersey Heritage Trust.

Unless technology has changed significantly since I was in the fire service; Thermal Imaging cameras do not work when looking at water. I find this piece of reporting highly suspicious

Unless the firefighters actually had no clue what they were doing and gave it a try then put it away

Unless technology has changed significantly since I was in the fire service; Thermal Imaging cameras do not work when looking at water. I find this piece of reporting highly suspicious

Unless the firefighters actually had no clue what they were doing and gave it a try then put it away

Edited because I seem to have been talking b*ll*cks having re-read the story.

Edited by IanM

Pirate weekend shortly 22nd ? pics in last nights echo showing what may be previous show or rehearsel of cannon firing from the deck.

edit - sure work pontoon was alongside it last Friday as I came out of dock , maybe ongoing problem was being looked at.

Edited by gaggle

Lets try the story from Mersey Fire & Rescue instead.

http://www.merseyfire.gov.uk/aspx/pages/Incidents/IncidentDetail.aspx?id=4288

Firefighters Use Thermal Imaging Camera To Search Dock Water After Boat Sinks

Friday, 04 September 2015

Albert Dock.

Firefighters were called after a boat sank in Albert Dock.

Firefighters carried out a search of the inner dock using a thermal imaging camera and lighting but no-one was found in the water.

Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service was called at 4.32am to near Hartley Quay in the Albert Dock area and firefighters had left the scene by 5.47am.

Station Manager Ian Voce said: “Our thermal imaging cameras can detect signs of heat including body temperature on the surface of the water as well as being able to detect signs of fires in buildings. Firefighters carried out a search to make sure no-one was in the water after this vessel had sunk. We also had firefighters in water rescue kit ready to enter the water if needed.”

A fire appliance from Liverpool City Community Fire Station, one from Toxteth Community Fire Station and the Search and Rescue Team responded to the call-out.

A lady has been on local radio but no cause or reason for sinking has been given , just they are looking at things and raising may take days or longer , pirate weekend goes ahead.

So is it national pirate day when this pirate event takes place.

But............. How could this happen?

No bilge pump?

The planking seams above the waterline on wooden vessels can tend to open up, particularly during Summer and if static for a long period. In the event of a leak starting for any reason, and going unnoticed, the boat settles a little lower in the water because of the leak and then as progressively more and more dry and open seams are immersed the quantity of water leaking in increases more and more rapidly until the boat blobs.

Dave and I were on her the other week while staying in the docks..

We became friendly with the guy who was living on it and he showed us around..

So very very sad it was a lovely ship inside and out..

I hope Chris the guy who lived on her( and drives the little trip boat around the docks) is ok..

Sad indeed , I imagine Chris has lost everything .

I used to be the guard cat on an old ship but it was steel , I had what was left of my life on there and had she sank I'd have been left with the clothes I stood up in and a VW van.

I wonder how soon she will be re floated and what the cause of sinking might turn out to be.

Reported that divers were travelling from down south and the intention is to refloat using large airbags and then into dry dock for repair /inspection, divers were expected pm today.

Will be interesting to see which dry dock, as there are none in Liverpool now.

I thought there are the two big dry docks connected with the mueseum, right next to Albert dock.

Regards kris

One, if not both, is/are used for permanently housing historic ships as part of the museum. Not sure if those could be easily moved. It would be a bugger if they sank!

............Dave

I thought there are the two big dry docks connected with the mueseum, right next to Albert dock.

Regards kris

They are no longer in use,and have been out of order for many years,they did have 2 dry docks next to Stanley dock but they have also closed as well when they built the Liverpool Link, no neeed for dry docks anymore..!

The planking seams above the waterline on wooden vessels can tend to open up, particularly during Summer and if static for a long period. In the event of a leak starting for any reason, and going unnoticed, the boat settles a little lower in the water because of the leak and then as progressively more and more dry and open seams are immersed the quantity of water leaking in increases more and more rapidly until the boat blobs.

Yes but a decent bilge pump could have saved the boat.

They are no longer in use,and have been out of order for many years,they did have 2 dry docks next to Stanley dock but they have also closed as well when they built the Liverpool Link, no neeed for dry docks anymore..!

Whether going to Stanley Dock or Birkenhead, any tall ship would have to go out into the Mersey anyway, so does it make any difference that Stanley Dock drydocks are now closed?

Edited by David Mack

Whether going to Stanley Dock or Birkenhead, any tall ship would have to go out into the Mersey anyway, so does it make any difference that Stanley Dock drydocks are now closed?

Yes it does make a difference the lack of dry docks in Liverpool where you can work on that sort of vessel unlike years ago .Do you know how many there were years ago?

Edited by Dalesman

Yes but a decent bilge pump could have saved the boat.

You would think so, but if you do the maths it rapidly becomes very obvious that even a small hole below the waterline (like say a 1.5" skin fitting) lets in more water than the bilge pumps on any boat can cope with, and the deeper the hole is, the more water it lets in. Not to mention that even if a bilge pump can cope with the ingress of water, it will only do so as long as it remains unblocked and has power.

That's right. Swabbing the decks on a sailing ship was not just to keep them clean. It was to keep them wet so that the seems didn't open up. I suppose that it a seaway there was sufficient spray to keep the sides wet.

N