CRT Data Checkers/Collectors

junior

Featured Posts

I'm usually not one to want to post anything regarding CRT as they only ever go one way, but curiosity has got the better of me eventually.

Almost every day now i see somebody walking the towpaths in a white polo shirt and black trousers combination CRT uniform, usually accompanied with a black over the shoulder man bag. Are these the volunteer data collectors or are the full time enforcement officers?

In my last two years of leisure boating i can't honestly recall ever seeing one and if i did it was insignificant enough that i don't remember doing so.

No I'm on the cut full time and coving a considerable area, i think I'm safe to say i see one ALMOST every day, no matter what part of the system I'm on. I've seen them in towns, popular mooring locations but also completely out in the middle of nowhere just wandering the the towpath.

They don't seem to have the word "volunteer" printed on the t-shirt like all the other CRT volunteers I've seen, so I'm guessing they are full or part-time paid CRT employees.

Given the regularity i see them compared to say 6 months ago, they must have had a fairly good recruitment campaign.

If i am wrong and they are volunteers, where on earth have they managed to find so many so quickly? They all seem to be young ish or middle aged and not of the sort of age group where you would expect so many to have free time during the week for volunteer activity (slightly sweeping statement i know).

Assuming they know the purpose of the data collection/number checking, what compels them to do it? I liken it to being a traffic warden, and nobody would do that voluntarily!

I've done my fair share of volunteering from a young age but that was all based around putting something back into the community. What the heck does gathering the data that could ultimately lead to somebody loosing their licence or home put back into the community?

Edited by junior

White top will be Crt employee. Probably enforcement officer or supervisor.

What's more concerning, is he seems to be following you laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Really? How come I'd never noticed one a year ago and now i see one virtually every day? For that to happen they've suddenly either got them all out from behind a desk somewhere or they are new recruits, and there's a bloody lot of them as it's never the same one i see.

Really? How come I'd never noticed one a year ago and now i see one virtually every day? For that to happen they've suddenly either got them all out from behind a desk somewhere or they are new recruits, and there's a bloody lot of them as it's never the same one i see.

Blimey, what have you done?

Perhaps we should start a logging of different CaRT data gatherers complete with mugshots. Just to ensure they are moving on every 14 days. ;)

• Greenie 3

Funnily enough I was out for a pizza last Friday with my drummer, a rather annoying young lad (ok must of been early 20's) was loudly proclaiming to girls (I think in an attempt to impress) about working for the CRT. Now Im not an evesdropper but he was what I would call a standard 'yah-yah' so it was hard to avoid his conversation. He said he started as a volunteer and is now paid by the trust to 'enforce the waterways', he was very dispariging to livaboards going as far to call them water-pikeys and that they were some kind of scurge of the waterways. Not a very pleasant lad...

Edited by MEPitt

Perhaps we should start a logging of different CaRT data gatherers complete with mugshots. Just to ensure they are moving on every 14 days. wink.png

Call them rugrats here, and have suspicion they may be cloned.

Funnily enough I was out for a pizza last Friday with my drummer, a rather annoying young lad (ok must of been early 20's) was loudly proclaiming to girls (I think in an attempt to impress) about working for the CRT. Now Im not an evesdropper but he was what I would call a standard 'yah-yah' so it was hard to avoid his conversation. He said he started as a volunteer and is now paid by the trust to 'enforce the waterways', he was very dispariging to livaboards going as far to call them water-pikeys and that they were some kind of scurge of the waterways. Not a very pleasant lad...

Bet that's Mathew symmonds patch.

Assuming they know the purpose of the data collection/number checking, what compels them to do it? I liken it to being a traffic warden, and nobody would do that voluntarily!

I've done my fair share of volunteering from a young age but that was all based around putting something back into the community. What the heck does gathering the data that could ultimately lead to somebody loosing their licence or home put back into the community?

I volunteer in two areas that I feel are sadly ignored yet are essential in the community.

Care of the elderly and those with poor mental health.

When I see Traffic Wardens I see people who are doing a job merely because there is a need brought about by selfish people who see rules and regulations as not being applicable to them.

Your attitude surprises me there Junior I thought you were a bit of a level geezer.

So tell us, what's the score from you.

I've yet to hear an alternative for controlling those that want to take but don't fancy giving in exchange.

How would you approach it?

I can assure you if you don't toe the line regarding your responsibilities regarding your "bricks and mortar" home you will lose it, so what's the difference then chap?

I volunteer in two areas that I feel are sadly ignored yet are essential in the community.

When I see Traffic Wardens I see people who are doing a job merely because there is a need brought about by selfish people who see rules and regulations as not being applicable to them.

Your attitude surprises me there Junior I thought you were a bit of a level geezer.

I've yet to hear an alternative for controlling those that want to take but don't fancy giving in exchange.

I can assure you if you don't toe the line regarding your responsibilities regarding your "bricks and mortar" home you will lose it, so what's the difference then chap?

I don't think he made a statement. It looks more like to me he is asking questions. Perhaps you should read it again before jumping to conclusions.

It sounded like he was around Devizes and Trowbridge although he did proclaim loudly he was a son of Stroud (does that get you girls?)

A lot of these people involved with Mathew symmonds have this sort of attitude.

Needs to be addressed really.

Im not at all happy to see volunteers employed as data checkers , I don't think this is an ethical use of volunteer labour and is too open to abuse and settling scores .

The person described by MEPitt sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant and unsuitable candidate for the job they have been given.

Generally I think CRT are on the wrong track with this , abusing your customers and making them feel anxious and stressed isn't a good way for anybody especially a charity to operate.

I'm usually not one to want to post anything regarding CRT as they only ever go one way, but curiosity has got the better of me eventually.

Almost every day now i see somebody walking the towpaths in a white polo shirt and black trousers combination CRT uniform, usually accompanied with a black over the shoulder man bag. Are these the volunteer data collectors or are the full time enforcement officers?

In my last two years of leisure boating i can't honestly recall ever seeing one and if i did it was insignificant enough that i don't remember doing so.

No I'm on the cut full time and coving a considerable area, i think I'm safe to say i see one ALMOST every day, no matter what part of the system I'm on. I've seen them in towns, popular mooring locations but also completely out in the middle of nowhere just wandering the the towpath.

They don't seem to have the word "volunteer" printed on the t-shirt like all the other CRT volunteers I've seen, so I'm guessing they are full or part-time paid CRT employees.

Given the regularity i see them compared to say 6 months ago, they must have had a fairly good recruitment campaign.

If i am wrong and they are volunteers, where on earth have they managed to find so many so quickly? They all seem to be young ish or middle aged and not of the sort of age group where you would expect so many to have free time during the week for volunteer activity (slightly sweeping statement i know).

They're paid data loggers/enforcement officers. I have seen them regularly on your patch too - the most bizarre being - can't remember if its Woodeaves or Grub Street cutting - the one which had its towpath closed because it was basically a mud bog; and the canal was 14ft wide - plugging his way though the mud.

Hmm not sure i understand your question fully, possibly because one of us or both of us has misunderstood the other.

As somebody pointed out, i was really just asking questions and thinking out loud.

Junior, you are well placed, with all your travels, do you see much evidence of continuous mooring?

Or indeed non display of licences, both boat and permanent mooring?

Bod

Good question. If the signs are that there is little or no signs of CMers, as they are referred to, then is that because the patrols have reached their objective? And no longer required in such numbers or do we still need all these people earning money from a 'potentially' hard up organisation to keep the 'potential' long term moorers on the move?

What used to happen in the years gone by? Am I right in saying that BW employed experienced personnel that could multitask. Taking in maintenance issues and longtime overstayers. I am reluctant to use this term, but a kind of Junior Area Manager. Less of them. Know their patch and kick ass where needed. Be it contractors not adhering to their contractual agreements or the aforementioned moorers extracting the urine. Still have the enforcement officers to issue 'tickets' and see through to various sections of enforcement.

Good question. If the signs are that there is little or no signs of CMers, as they are referred to, then is that because the patrols have reached their objective? And no longer required in such numbers or do we still need all these people earning money from a 'potentially' hard up organisation to keep the 'potential' long term moorers on the move?

What used to happen in the years gone by? Am I right in saying that BW employed experienced personnel that could multitask. Taking in maintenance issues and longtime overstayers. I am reluctant to use this term, but a kind of Junior Area Manager. Less of them. Know their patch and kick ass where needed. Be it contractors not adhering to their contractual agreements or the aforementioned moorers extracting the urine. Still have the enforcement officers to issue 'tickets' and see through to various sections of enforcement.

I don't know why some think CRT are hard up. Check their accounts, look at some of Parry's speeches. They ain't hard up.

I don't know why some think CRT are hard up. Check their accounts, look at some of Parry's speeches. They ain't hard up.

i used the term 'potential' intentially as I was notified that I was potentially overstaying recently. I'm not surprised that they are not broke. Well not hard up, in some quarters they are broke'en'.

Just traveled from Foxton to near Fleckney on the Leicester line. They, CRT, need to turn up the heat on their contractors who are NOT getting rid of all the reeds that are taking over the canal.

They, CRT, need to turn up the heat on their contractors who are NOT getting rid of all the reeds that are taking over the canal.

They don't want to get rid of them. The more difficult they can make it for you to boat, the more chance they have of you selling up. Or only using the bits of canal they want you to.

They can then state that such and such a canal is not being used, and therefore does not justify the need to keep it open for navigation.

They don't want to get rid of them. The more difficult they can make it for you to boat, the more chance they have of you selling up. Or only using the bits of canal they want you to.

They can then state that such and such a canal is not being used, and therefore does not justify the need to keep it open for navigation.

Another trick used in similar circumstances is to spend £££'s on unneccessary mainanence for your target "thing", then claim that thing is too expensive to maintain.