CRT council: Dean for 2016

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

• No representatives. I want an independent who might listen, not somebody who listens only to those who paid their subs to his sending organisation.

Is there any evidence that the representatives have made any attempt to canvas the views of the membership of their sending organisations? As an IWA member I have not been asked my views by any of the Council members who stood on an IWA ticket.

Is there any evidence that the representatives have made any attempt to canvas the views of the membership of their sending organisations? As an IWA member I have not been asked my views by any of the Council members who stood on an IWA ticket.

Surely they know the views of their members by attending IWA meetings it does not require feedback from individual members.

If they don't then they are not very good Trustees or senior members

I guess it all depends what type of councilors boaters want that matters. The ones we have at present are happy to simply attend the 2 meetings a year say very little and then go home and attend IWA meetings. They have failed completely to communicate with boaters and have taken the job at face value and that is to just attend those 2 meetings and do little else.

Now I would vote for someone who is prepared to do a lot more than that. The job is what you make of it and it needs someone who for 4 years is prepared to almost give up their present lifestyle and represent boaters not just by attending a couple of meetings but to use that position to lobby CRT on behalf of boaters. To do this they must be prepared to attend and organise meetings all over the country to listen to boaters and what they think then pass that onto CRT by meeting with them on a 121 basis. They have to be prepared to invest their own money in organising boater surveys to get unbiased feedback/ They should be prepared to invest time in building alliances with non boating members of the council as 4 voices in a council of about 40 is fairly difficult. They should also act as a voice for boaters with the Trustees. It must be remembered that they represent boaters and not just their own views.

He here here well said John. It is a lot of work though. Now I would cheerfully support your cause should you be so minded, I know though you have other commitments which may well preclude this.

My personal votes and nominations would go to (Should they stand) Alan Fincher, who I feel is the strongest possible candidate for representing all boaters, even those whose boating is very different to his own, and Cotswoldman, who works hard on issues that are of concern to me personally, as well as engaging with CRT on the wider picture.

Aside from those two, I don't have any strong feelings and will wait and see who else stands and what they have to say, and in large part too, how and how much they go about engaging with their potential voters, and how they state they intend to continue to do so if elected.

Anyone standing on an IWA platform won't be getting my vote on principle.

My personal votes and nominations would go to (Should they stand) Alan Fincher, who I feel is the strongest possible candidate for representing all boaters, even those whose boating is very different to his own, and Cotswoldman, who works hard on issues that are of concern to me personally, as well as engaging with CRT on the wider picture.

Aside from those two, I don't have any strong feelings and will wait and see who else stands and what they have to say, and in large part too, how and how much they go about engaging with their potential voters, and how they state they intend to continue to do so if elected.

IWA have an agreement with CaRT that, in return for having a nominated place on Council instead of WRG, its trustees will not stand for boater positions.

However, that does not stop IWA members standing independently and does not stop IWA promoting candidates who are members.

IWA have an agreement with CaRT that, in return for having a nominated place on Council instead of WRG, its trustees will not stand for boater positions.

However, that does not stop IWA members standing independently and does not stop IWA promoting candidates who are members.

CRT should have told them not to nominate any trustees, never mind offering them sweets. And if 4 other members end up on the council and we hear nothing for four years, will CRT offer them two places on the council. IWA members should be limited to no more than two. Preferably, one.

Edited by Higgs

That is a pair that I could vote for.

Not because I always agree with them, or because I think that they will push an agenda that suits me, but because I think they will be active and energetic and do their utmost to represent all boaters rather than their own interests.

I hope that both consider standing.

I won't be standing this time. Circumstances have reduced our use of the boat somewhat and I don't see as much of the network as I used to.

I am slowly disengaging from a number of commitments as they reach a natural cut off point, because I need (and want) to devote more of my non-work time to my family.

Adding another voluntary role isn't in the plan at the moment.

• Greenie 1

CRT should have told them not to nominate any trustees, never mind offering them sweets. And if 4 other members end up on the council and we hear nothing for four years, will CRT offer them two places on the council. IWA members should be limited to no more than two. Preferably, one.

Whilst I agree that it is better to have an IWA official rep separate from the elected places it is very wrong to try and exclude an IWA member standing if they wish to. That would exclude a lot of people and is undemocratic

• Greenie 1

Whilst I agree that it is better to have an IWA official rep separate from the elected places it is very wrong to try and exclude an IWA member standing if they wish to. That would exclude a lot of people and is undemocratic

In fact, as undemocratic as them pushing in at the last one.

Personally, I think one piwa member on council is enough. I'm still peed off that Les etheridge fed his ego by getting rid of the wrg rep.

That is a pair that I could vote for.

Not because I always agree with them, or because I think that they will push an agenda that suits me, but because I think they will be active and energetic and do their utmost to represent all boaters rather than their own interests.

I hope that both consider standing.

I won't be standing this time. Circumstances have reduced our use of the boat somewhat and I don't see as much of the network as I used to.

I am slowly disengaging from a number of commitments as they reach a natural cut off point, because I need (and want) to devote more of my non-work time to my family.

Adding another voluntary role isn't in the plan at the moment.

That's what politicians usually say when they've just been sacked.

In fact, as undemocratic as them pushing in at the last one.

Personally, I think one piwa member on council is enough. I'm still peed off that Les etheridge fed his ego by getting rid of the wrg rep.

As I have said many times before it would have been better to have a spread of people on the council. But to stop the IWA people getting voted on all folk had to do was vote for someone else. I didn't vote for them (well one of them). All the IWA did was put up a number of candidates the voters did the rest. Still, that was then this is now it is up to everyone to put up candidates that will do better going forward rather than maintain a bitter bile about something that can not be changed. It is time to move on.

It would be undemocratic to stop an IWA member from putting themselves forward why should anyone just because they are a member of a particular organisation be barred from standing if they chose to do so. I would be disgusted if being an ordinary IWA member not serving on any committee was stopped from standing if they wished to.

• Greenie 2

Indeed it is.

However, in this case it is what I say when my wife is suffering from a serious illness and I have my priorities right.

Please accept my apologies for any distress or offence my remark may have caused, in the circumstances it was quite uncalled for and inappropriate. I hope she makes a rapid and full recovery.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Please accept my apologies for any distress or offence my remark may have caused, in the circumstances it was quite uncalled for and inappropriate. I hope she makes a rapid and full recovery.

Tony,

We disagree about many things, but it would be churlish if I didn't thank you for this sentiment.

In return, I apologise for being a trifle snappy. You weren't to know.

Bev's illness is, for the present, the after effects of going through Chemotherapy for the second time following a recurrence of Breast Cancer.

This has left her weakened and prone to tiring, so instead of spending spare time doing stuff for strangers, I am living up to my marriage vows (or at least I am trying to!)

Unfortunately a full recovery isn't on the cards. We can however hope that she continues to remain stable with no progression.

Tony,

We disagree about many things, but it would be churlish if I didn't thank you for this sentiment.

Bev's illness is, for the present, the after effects of going through Chemotherapy for the second time following a recurrence of Breast Cancer.

This has left her weakened and prone to tiring, so instead of spending spare time doing stuff for strangers, I am living up to my marriage vows (or at least I am trying to!)

Unfortunately a full recovery isn't on the cards. We can however hope that she continues to remain stable with no progression.

Good luck to both of you. I can only think of the obvious to say which is... Live life, be happy.

Dave,

Very sorry to hear your news, but am hopeless with words in these situations.

Of course you should be doing exactly what you are doing - family comes first, no question.

I, of course, hope you both get the best outcome you can, given where things are now.

Tony,

Thank you for accepting my apology with such good grace. My best wishes, and hopes, to you both.

• Greenie 2

Dave,

Very sorry to hear your news, but am hopeless with words in these situations.

Of course you should be doing exactly what you are doing - family comes first, no question.

I, of course, hope you both get the best outcome you can, given where things are now.

Thanks Alan (and others who have expressed their best wishes here and by PM),

I should say that this isn't "news" in the true sense of the word, because this has been going on for quite some time now. Unfortunately, yesterday just came at the wrong moment, because it touched a nerve the day before Bev's 3-monthly scan results.

Bev was actually diagnosed in September 2010 (she is convinced that the trauma of Harvey's death was the trigger), and had a Mastectomy, chemo and radiotherapy that Autumn. A local recurrence was detected in September 2013, which couldn't be surgically removed, but which has responded well to Second-line chemo (docetaxil, really nasty stuff), more radiotherapy, and ongoing Herceptin treatment (thank God we have the NHS to fund that).

Happily, we've just got home from the Christie, having been told that there is still no progression. It is still there, but the drugs are ensuring that it is no longer active.

Anyway, I have gone and derailed a thread - sorry!

erm, vote Alan Fincher??