CRT council: Dean for 2016

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

I would like to propose nominating DeanS as a council member for one of the private boaters' slots in the forthcoming CRT election, obviously subject to his agreement.

Before he rejects this, I am suggesting him because:

1. He has previously been a CCer, and now has a home mooring in a marina, but still cruises. This gives him a well rounded insight into different aspects of boating.

2. As shown in one of the busiest threads on this forum, he is NOT out to pick a fight with CRT, but also does not just accept the party line from them.

3. He does not actively seek confrontation. This is a major consideration, and one that I think would make quite a difference to his effectiveness at representing boaters in council.

4. His moderation on here has been gentle and involved - not abusing his status as a moderator to stifle dissent, but accepting sometomes harsh personal criticism with good humour.

All in all, I think he would make a good spokesperson for boaters on CRT Council.

Please discuss the pros and cons.

For this to work, all we need is Dean's agreement and 10 nominators. I am obviously in for one slot as I proposed him!

There are quite a few other people on here who would also make good candidates, but please keep this thread on Dean so he feels obliged to accept the nomination!

I don't agree with bullying.

Should he put himself forward because he wants to that's a different thing.

However doing so because others are pushing is not assertive.

I'm sorry you think it is bullying. I tend to subscribe to the theory that anyone who *wants* an elected position should be barred from standing.

I just happen to think Dean would do a better job on council than eg Tony Dunkley (Sorry Tony, but I think there is too much antagonism both ways for you to be a good representative on council. Not saying you could not do it, just that I think Dean would be less confrontational, and therefore get a better response.)

• Greenie 3

Oh, you were being serious?

Deadly serious. Were you not?

Laurence Hogg has more experience and expertise than I will ever have on the canal network.

I happen to think that having him on the council might be counter productive, as I do about Tony Dunkley, but I never for one second think that either of their opinions are only to be treated as cheap gibe fodder.

Maybe if they were CCers you would care more, but I am a CCer myself, and it doesn't seem to affect you one way or another.

Deadly serious. Were you not?

Laurence Hogg has more experience and expertise than I will ever have on the canal network.

I happen to think that having him on the council might be counter productive, as I do about Tony Dunkley, but I never for one second think that either of their opinions are only to be treated as cheap gibe fodder.

Maybe if they were CCers you would care more, but I am a CCer myself, and it doesn't seem to affect you one way or another.

Has anyone ever heard of Dean outside of this forum?

My nomination form does not require anyone to have appeared on Strictly Come Dancing before nominating them.

I have been thinking about this following the Corbyn discussions around the country, and it has convinced me that a genuine chap without an immediate agenda is who I would like representing me.

You will no doubt object to this, as you have your own agenda and as I have been assured at various meets around the country "is a nice chap, but is a bit too fond of his own voice".

I have never met you Steve, but numerous people I like have said this about you, so I am prepared to go along with it until/unless proved otherwise. Cheap gibes on an internet forum do not help either your case or your cause.

What cheap jibes??? I asked a simple question, has anyone heard of Dean outside of the forum?

What cause do I have? What case?

What cause do I have?

And that is why I am not a member of the ACC. And why I want representation to CRT that is not too confrontational.

That is also why I started this thread nominating Dean, not Steve.

(For the avoidance of doubt, I would be a worse candidate than Steve. I am an arrogant, opionated curmudgeon, who suffers fools not one whit. I would be a nightmare in any elected position, which is why I am in favour of a more reasonable person!)

And that is why I am not a member of the ACC. And why I want representation to CRT that is not too confrontational.

That is also why I started this thread nominating Dean, not Steve.

(For the avoidance of doubt, I would be a worse candidate than Steve. I am an arrogant, opionated curmudgeon, who suffers fools not one whit. I would be a nightmare in any elected position, which is why I am in favour of a more reasonable person!)

You've completely lost me. What on earth are you on about. Are you thinking I want to stand?

If you are, think on. I'd never stand, it does not even interest me in the slightest.

Just out of interest, have you read up on the job description for council members? Perhaps you should.

As for my "liking the sound of my own voice", I say what I mean, I don't dress it up. Perhaps you would do well to form your own opinion once you had met me, rather than relying on a conversation you had with someone else in the pub.

Edited by jenlyn

Perhaps you would do well to form your own opinion once you had met me, rather than relying on a conversation you had with someone else in the pub.

Fair comment. The only information I have to go on is your internet persona and the opinions of people I have met who have met you. Several of them, months apart, who specifically mentioned Steve J.

I look forward to meeting you on the cut, and it is my round.

I'm sorry you think it is bullying. I tend to subscribe to the theory that anyone who *wants* an elected position should be barred from standing.

I just happen to think Dean would do a better job on council than eg Tony Dunkley (Sorry Tony, but I think there is too much antagonism both ways for you to be a good representative on council. Not saying you could not do it, just that I think Dean would be less confrontational, and therefore get a better response.)

I don't agree, sorry Dean, I think he is far to nice for such a political role

Fair comment. The only information I have to go on is your internet persona and the opinions of people I have met who have met you. Several of them, months apart, who specifically mentioned Steve J.

I look forward to meeting you on the cut, and it is my round.

That's strange, did any of tbe 'several persons you met' mention all the good work and effort Steve has put in helping boaters with problems?

• Greenie 1

I thought you had a home mooring

Our club moorings work out at around £5 per metre per month, which is half the price of the offered winter mooring just round the corner.

Off the forum I attended CRT meetings in Skipton and in Leeds, organised by John (before CRT ended them). Always difficult to be heard above those who liked to shout (very unproductive).

What does the council do? My interest in becoming a council member is very low, as I have very little faith in such "bodies", but if I was the right shape for the right hole, and could be convinced I would do some good, I might consider it, but very doubtful.......

I would never compare my own efforts, with those of John for example who has put time, effort , money and more into helping boaters......

I also have no knowledge of the "south", which is where most of the IWA membership comes from......

Those who shout loudest are heard but for majority good we need reasonable people with relevant experience having reasoned fact based discussions and decisions based on that, tantrum fuelled debates not productive IMO.

Dean seems as if he has more patience but Ive never met him or any who come across as more " verbally assertive" so my perceptions based on whats on here.

I think if Deans interested then he should research post and see what is required and then decide if he can meet criteria and go for it.

I guess it all depends what type of councilors boaters want that matters. The ones we have at present are happy to simply attend the 2 meetings a year say very little and then go home and attend IWA meetings. They have failed completely to communicate with boaters and have taken the job at face value and that is to just attend those 2 meetings and do little else.

Now I would vote for someone who is prepared to do a lot more than that. The job is what you make of it and it needs someone who for 4 years is prepared to almost give up their present lifestyle and represent boaters not just by attending a couple of meetings but to use that position to lobby CRT on behalf of boaters. To do this they must be prepared to attend and organise meetings all over the country to listen to boaters and what they think then pass that onto CRT by meeting with them on a 121 basis. They have to be prepared to invest their own money in organising boater surveys to get unbiased feedback/ They should be prepared to invest time in building alliances with non boating members of the council as 4 voices in a council of about 40 is fairly difficult. They should also act as a voice for boaters with the Trustees. It must be remembered that they represent boaters and not just their own views.

• Greenie 3

I guess it all depends what type of councilors boaters want that matters. The ones we have at present are happy to simply attend the 2 meetings a year say very little and then go home and attend IWA meetings. They have failed completely to communicate with boaters and have taken the job at face value and that is to just attend those 2 meetings and do little else.

Now I would vote for someone who is prepared to do a lot more than that. The job is what you make of it and it needs someone who for 4 years is prepared to almost give up their present lifestyle and represent boaters not just by attending a couple of meetings but to use that position to lobby CRT on behalf of boaters. To do this they must be prepared to attend and organise meetings all over the country to listen to boaters and what they think then pass that onto CRT by meeting with them on a 121 basis. They have to be prepared to invest their own money in organising boater surveys to get unbiased feedback/ They should be prepared to invest time in building alliances with non boating members of the council as 4 voices in a council of about 40 is fairly difficult. They should also act as a voice for boaters with the Trustees. It must be remembered that they represent boaters and not just their own views.

...or just go to the 3 locks on the right evening...;)

Unless it has changed since last time, you are only allowed 150 words for your election statement.

You are going to need to do quite a lot of editing on the above, if you were going to use it as a basis for yours!