CRT council: Dean for 2016

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

Unless it has changed since last time, you are only allowed 150 words for your election statement.

You are going to need to do quite a lot of editing on the above, if you were going to use it as a basis for yours!

Not me thanks. I am to old I would be 70 by the end of the 4 years and also I have tried and failed at engaging with CRT so not a very good track record.

Have you got any spare time NC?

No.

And it certainly isn't a role I would be happy to walk into.

However I believe that those who are nominated should represent the interests of all boat owners and operators and I don't feel that Dean would fit that bill.

I guess it all depends what type of councilors boaters want that matters. The ones we have at present are happy to simply attend the 2 meetings a year say very little and then go home and attend IWA meetings. They have failed completely to communicate with boaters and have taken the job at face value and that is to just attend those 2 meetings and do little else.

Now I would vote for someone who is prepared to do a lot more than that. The job is what you make of it and it needs someone who for 4 years is prepared to almost give up their present lifestyle and represent boaters not just by attending a couple of meetings but to use that position to lobby CRT on behalf of boaters. To do this they must be prepared to attend and organise meetings all over the country to listen to boaters and what they think then pass that onto CRT by meeting with them on a 121 basis. They have to be prepared to invest their own money in organising boater surveys to get unbiased feedback/ They should be prepared to invest time in building alliances with non boating members of the council as 4 voices in a council of about 40 is fairly difficult. They should also act as a voice for boaters with the Trustees. It must be remembered that they represent boaters and not just their own views.

If above is indeed the case then they have to have a few bob spare as they wouldn't be able to hold down full time job and represent boaters effectively....real labour of love...

I won't.

This is nothing against Dean but I don't feel that he represents us as boaters.

I wonder if anyone can represent the views of all boaters and Dean would definitely be in a good position to communicate with the boaters on here.

And one member of IWA council puts there name forward and 50% of IWA have heard of them and maybe 25% would vote for them. There are what 1500 members of CWF maybe 50% no longer bother to visit and maybe 25% would vote for Dean, as no one out side CWF has probably ever heard of Dean its unlikely many would vote for him. Look at last time round. CWF doesn't really count.

I'm sorry you think it is bullying. I tend to subscribe to the theory that anyone who *wants* an elected position should be barred from standing.

I just happen to think Dean would do a better job on council than eg Tony Dunkley (Sorry Tony, but I think there is too much antagonism both ways for you to be a good representative on council. Not saying you could not do it, just that I think Dean would be less confrontational, and therefore get a better response.)

You are trying to manipulate somebody into doing something that is not their intention.

Doing so puts them in an invidious position.

Your target may feel guilty for not doing your bidding and you're happy with that?

You're attempting to manipulate someone else's decisions, ergo, you're a bully.

How would you feel if somebody tried to make it difficult for you to say No by making you appear selfish by doing so?

Your final comment ..... "please keep this thread on Dean so he feels obliged to accept the nomination!" proves it.

Who are you to suggest making others feel obliged to do your bidding is acceptable?

I wonder if anyone can represent the views of all boaters and Dean would definitely be in a good position to communicate with the boaters on here.

If Dean were to stand, then I suspect that whether I voted for him or not would depend upon whether other candidates stood.

Dean has certainly displayed attributes that mean he would be suited to such a role. However, there are two areas of concern;

1) Dean has a very specific set of issues that are peculiar to where he moors, and he is constrained to a fairly small part of the system. His awareness of the bigger picture may not be as it should be.

2) Let nobody imagine that being able to communicate with the subset of boaters here is a substitute for communicating widely.

In the election, my key points to select who I want will be;

• No single issue candidates. Anybody who is there because "only a CCer can do this job" or "we need to get rid of the scruffy boats" will not get my vote.
  • No representatives. I want an independent who might listen, not somebody who listens only to those who paid their subs to his sending organisation.

I would like to see people who cruise extensively and see a lot of the canal system, Some will be CCers, some will be leisure boaters on a long holiday each year. I would also like to see at least one rep who is a leisure boater who has a couple of weeks here and there, and possibly doesn't see the whole network to bring an understanding of how some people see it differently.

I'm sorry you think it is bullying. I tend to subscribe to the theory that anyone who *wants* an elected position should be barred from standing.

I just happen to think Dean would do a better job on council than eg Tony Dunkley (Sorry Tony, but I think there is too much antagonism both ways for you to be a good representative on council. Not saying you could not do it, just that I think Dean would be less confrontational, and therefore get a better response.)

I would think, and hope, that anyone at all would be less confrontational than me. I haven't spent my entire life being an awkward sod to end up as second best to anybody.

As to the C&RT Council, I have to say that in my view that nothing useful or constructive will ever come out of a body comprising up to 35 people who meet for one day twice yearly. There are far too many members and that limits the input at meetings of each member on all aspects of running the waterways to a total of about 20 minutes per year. The whole concept of a Council, particularly one of this size, is utterly pointless.

Unless it has changed since last time, you are only allowed 150 words for your election statement.

And that's only a few less than you get to say in Council meetings during a whole year.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

I'm guessing anyone willing to join a board or committee like this will have a personal agenda, unless you're a genuinely nice person who just wants to help people....or nosey...or have a boring life...

If one has a strong agenda it's probably easier to cut out the middle men/women...

Maybe we should have a post on here as to who is willing to put their name forward with Name, Location, experience of boating and whether a member of other groups.

We have some good people on here so if you know anyone who you think would suit then a word in their ear over a pint could work.

It's not well known but Ann Farrell attempted to gain agreement for five boating members rather than four. This was turned down.

Good on her but that does highlight what I was saying about bad communication between council member and boaters. I think if this had been more public she would have got a lot of support

Edited by cotswoldsman

Good on her but that does highlight what I was saying about bad communication between council member and boaters. I think if this had been more public she would have got a lot of support

You are right, of course. It seems to me that such communication as has taken place between boating council members and boaters has been largely one-way and controlled by the Trust.

Interestingly, I can find no reference to the other three boating members (all IWA trustees) supporting the proposition of five boating members.

Deadly serious. Were you not?

Laurence Hogg has more experience and expertise than I will ever have on the canal network.

I happen to think that having him on the council might be counter productive, as I do about Tony Dunkley, but I never for one second think that either of their opinions are only to be treated as cheap gibe fodder.

Maybe if they were CCers you would care more, but I am a CCer myself, and it doesn't seem to affect you one way or another.

Your not a ccer it seems. You in fact have a home mooring.

I got coerced into being a member of The Broads Forum, we met 4 times a year and I don't think I achieved anything, maybe because I didn't have a personal agenda, those with one are passionate about it and will go to any lengths to be heard above the rest.