Narrowboat Breakdown/Recovery

brassedoff

Featured Posts

Just another New Boater question,

This might seem a dumb question but if my boat had engine issues and it was something i could not fix myself at the side of the towpath, is their such thing as Narrowboat breakdown recovery ?

Edited by brassedoff

After 2 breakdowns this week I have good things to say about RCR .... very professional service.

Mind you I still haven't put today's solution to the test as I'm waiting for the tide at Teddington ...... hopefully I won't need to update this post

Just to put the other side.....not everyone I know has positive experiences with RCR....a search on here might find details....

Cheers

Gareth

Thanks Gareth

RCR also do training courses and engine servicing. Useful if you are not sure how to DIY.

I know how to fondle an engine but i know naff all about boats, its a whole new ball game for me and my dad.

i guess its all part of the fun lol

After 2 breakdowns this week I have good things to say about RCR .... very professional service.

Mind you I still haven't put today's solution to the test as I'm waiting for the tide at Teddington ...... hopefully I won't need to update this post

Cheers Kev, i hope your boat does you well and its all sorted now smile.png bonvoyarje

Thanks Gareth

I know how to fondle an engine but i know naff all about boats, its a whole new ball game for me and my dad.

i guess its all part of the fun lol

Cheers Kev, i hope your boat does you well and its all sorted now smile.png bonvoyarje

A word of caution here re RCR. This is not me knocking them, after all I used to work for them and take retainer cover when we venture far from home but some of the more vocal complainers simply did not read and understand the terms and conditions so got refused help unless paid for.

As far as I can see they only cover you against the engine and associated systems fail so you can not move. If you can still move without doing further damage them may expect you to take the boat to a boatyard yourself. They normally cover the engine alternator but not the domestic one. I would not expect them to cover the domestic water pump or an interior light failure. They may however offer to refer such problems to their paid for service Canal Contracting.

There are also time limits on how long they contract to spend on your problem although I suspect this is not strictly adhered to.

So, to avoid disappointment and bad feeling please read and understand their terms and conditions. They are not a whole boat breakdown service.

RCR have been very good in my experience But why not have a better cover for me and my boat that covers Aux alternator for example.

I have silver as gold is a waste of money why do I want cover on other peoples boats ?

A word of caution here re RCR. This is not me knocking them, after all I used to work for them and take retainer cover when we venture far from home but some of the more vocal complainers simply did not read and understand the terms and conditions so got refused help unless paid for.

As far as I can see they only cover you against the engine and associated systems fail so you can not move. If you can still move without doing further damage them may expect you to take the boat to a boatyard yourself. They normally cover the engine alternator but not the domestic one. I would not expect them to cover the domestic water pump or an interior light failure. They may however offer to refer such problems to their paid for service Canal Contracting.

There are also time limits on how long they contract to spend on your problem although I suspect this is not strictly adhered to.

So, to avoid disappointment and bad feeling please read and understand their terms and conditions. They are not a whole boat breakdown service.

In the cases I have been involved with they or their contractors were very quick to jump to conclusions about cause and repair of breakdowns and in both cases reccomended replacement engines/gearboxes rather than investigate and repair as necessary. The towing service is rarely worth it due to time limits....how I got involved was offering to tow the boats concerned after RCR had left them to sort out getting to a yard.

Cheers

Gareth

I have silver as gold is a waste of money why do I want cover on other peoples boats ?

Me too, now. But when, for a while, I had two boats, the gold cover was the most suitable for me.

Good advise.

...and also, if you're away from the central canal areas, they'll use contractors.

One of whom made me take several afternoons off work waiting for him to show up, he didn't fix the problem, and he blew up my wind turbine regulator by letting it spin then.disconnecting it from the batteries.

If you're not on the main network, I wouldn't bother.

We just have the RCR Bronze retainer.

I've had cause to use them twice:-

Busted hose at Whittlesea on the Middle Levels 6 years ago,

and Broken morse cable just outside Wellingborough.

Both occasions a long way from our base at Cowroast on the GU, and both "foreign" enough for me not to know where to source replacement parts.

Both breakdowns were sorted very efficiently.

The 2nd one (last month) was subbed out to a contractor who came across all the way from Wheedon, The whole episode only took 2.5 hours from initial phone-call to us waving them goodbye.

Excellent service and I was well pleased.

Strongly recommended.

David

PS Please don't anyone bother posting to say I should be carrying more spares, at that rate we would be towing a complete spare boat as a butty!

...and also, if you're away from the central canal areas, they'll use contractors.

One of whom made me take several afternoons off work waiting for him to show up, he didn't fix the problem, and he blew up my wind turbine regulator by letting it spin then.disconnecting it from the batteries.

If you're not on the main network, I wouldn't bother.

They also use contractors in the main canal areas. The trouble with this is that the contractors know that you are tied to using them so can get away with not turning up when they say and worse - you cant tell them to feck off and get someone more reliable instead if the RCR are in charge

The ones they sent to me broke the exhaust pipe where it went into the silencer and then covered it up leaving me to run the engine with the exhaust leaking into the engine bay. (as well as lots of fibbing and general bullshittery)

OP - I would never recommend RCR - learn how to fix basic stuff yourself, carry spares and with the internet it's not hard to find a boatyard/engineer for stuff you cant do yourself

They also use contractors in the main canal areas. The trouble with this is that the contractors know that you are tied to using them so can get away with not turning up when they say and worse - you cant tell them to feck off and get someone more reliable instead if the RCR are in charge

The ones they sent to me broke the exhaust pipe where it went into the silencer and then covered it up leaving me to run the engine with the exhaust leaking into the engine bay. (as well as lots of fibbing and general bullshittery)

OP - I would never recommend RCR - learn how to fix basic stuff yourself, carry spares and with the internet it's not hard to find a boatyard/engineer for stuff you cant do yourself

Thanks I am pretty competent with the spanners but if it was something serious I would like a piece of mind having cover.

I guess this is why its good to make freinds on the canal so we can tow each other back into the Marina's

Edited by brassedoff

Thanks I am pretty competent with the spanners but if it was something serious I would like a piece of mind having cover.

I guess this is why its good to make freinds on the canal so we can tow each other back into the Marina's

If you think, RCR are basically just a single contact for a number of engineers around the country. If you know the basics and have a number of contacts for your area then you half most of what RCR is.

We just have the RCR Bronze retainer.

I've had cause to use them twice:-

Busted hose at Whittlesea on the Middle Levels 6 years ago,

and Broken morse cable just outside Wellingborough.

Both occasions a long way from our base at Cowroast on the GU, and both "foreign" enough for me not to know where to source replacement parts.

Both breakdowns were sorted very efficiently.

The 2nd one (last month) was subbed out to a contractor who came across all the way from Wheedon, The whole episode only took 2.5 hours from initial phone-call to us waving them goodbye.

Excellent service and I was well pleased.

Strongly recommended.

David

PS Please don't anyone bother posting to say I should be carrying more spares, at that rate we would be towing a complete spare boat as a butty!

. Or just a small outboard to get you home if needed, it's all I carry along with some basic tools and a spare spark plug

with the internet it's not hard to find a boatyard/engineer for stuff you cant do yourself

And the quickest way to sort it via the internet may well be to post your problem here, and more than likly that someone will know who the nearest boatyard/parts supplier is, or maybe someone local will offer to come and help out.