ALVECOTE.. Boats - Bands & Beer 2015

Featured Posts

Hello everyone..

Just to confirm that this year our Alvecote ''thrash'' is as always on the August Bank Holiday which is 29th - 30th - 31st August

There is plenty of interest already all I ask is please can you let me know if you are planning on attending with an old boat or indeed if you require moorings. There is of course plenty of room to tie up on the towpath and every one is welcome.

This year we look forward to welcoming back 'Hasty' the fabulous steam tunnel tug by Brinklow and hopefully some small steam launches will also be in attendance. As usual we have some floating traders along with a fabulous flotilla of colour and splendour which is made up mostly from the Historic gang.

There will be live music from Fri eve onwards with various acts throughout the weekend and on the Monday afternoon as things wind down we intend to hand the PA system and stage over to the boaters for another fantastic jam/music session to bring the weekend to a close, so if you can play an instrument then bring it!

All weekend the pub will be running a fine selection of 10 local ales along with all the usual refreshments and food from the menu available downstairs. There will also be Boater's Breakfast (ticket only) and Beer garden BBQ daily.

Throughout the weekend we have the skilful turning round competition (Prop Master) and the Les Lapworth award for the best turned out historic boat in attendance.

Hopefully if we have enough boats the illuminated boat parade will be running again on Sunday eve, so do dig out the Christmas lights and join in the fun. If you have never taken part in an illuminated boat parade before - it is really great fun and not just for the Historics!

So please please do come prepared with- lights - bunting - flags anything to join in with the festival spirit!!

Look forward to seeing you all in a few weeks... For all mooring information call the Marina office on 01827 898585

post-5227-0-38507800-1437491941_thumb.jpg

post-5227-0-73220800-1437491985_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

So who is planning to visit the Alvecote event next weekend, then?

OK, I know some will be at the Northampton IWA event instead, but we hope to meet some of you at Alvecote.

Things have been too tight to make it realistic to take both boats, so sadly "Sickle" will not be there, but we have been going flat out to make "Flamingo" a viable alternative, and I think we have just about made it.......... Enough has been changed that I expect something to break, but what is life with an historic boat, without a bit of risk and excitement!......

OK, I know some will be at the Northampton IWA event instead, but we hope to meet some of you at Alvecote.

Things have been too tight to make it realistic to take both boats, so sadly "Sickle" will not be there, but we have been going flat out to make "Flamingo" a viable alternative, and I think we have just about made it.......... Enough has been changed that I expect something to break, but what is life with an historic boat, without a bit of risk and excitement!......

ME! Unless, well, you know.

Reading your recent Hillmorton thread you've certainly had that.

I'll be coming by car with my Historic Narrowboat Captain on the Sunday.

Edited by Ray T

Dave and I will be there. Not by boat again this year but at least there has been some significant progress on ensuring Python has a good chance of getting there next year. Really looking forward to seeing loads of friends again.

We will be loading the van with several boxes of canal and boating related books, many of them with a certain amount of age to them. Several more boxes of paperback novels that are going cheap and an eclectic assortment of items you really need (even if you don't yet know it)

I understand Wil Saunders and David James who many of you may remember from Gnosall are already there, by boat!

We will be loading the van with several boxes of canal and boating related books, many of them with a certain amount of age to them. Several more boxes of paperback novels that are going cheap and an eclectic assortment of items you really need (even if you don't yet know it)

Repeat to myself......

"Flamingo already has far too much stuff in it"

RIGHT THEN!

Slow start to day day but I am going to sort my life out, chuck the sleeping bag and roll mat into the kitcar and see where it gets me.

If the weather is anything like what is is here it must be a cracking day down there, photos look great already!

Daniel

Just got back home from Alvecote, an enjoyable day.

Met many forumites including "The Boss."

It's not only historic boats you can see but if you know where to look, a pair of historic ex Barlow's captain's:

Edited by Ray T