CCing in Bath

Bod

Featured Posts

Following a conversation yesterday, with a new boater.

Is it possible to CC in Bath, under the new enforcement regime?

I don't know how big an area they were planning to use.

One word answers will be quite sufficient.

Bod

I don't know the specific rules but we have a friend down there who now cruises in 14 day steps through various zones from Bath to the bottom of Caen Hill to comply.

So if that's what he calls 'Bath'....

I don't know the specific rules but we have a friend down there who now cruises in 14 day steps through various zones from Bath to the bottom of Caen Hill to comply.

So if that's what he calls 'Bath'....

Last year C&RT introduced a trial down there which would allow your friend to do just that and remain within the rules. Alas, as far as I understand, C&RT decided it had not worked as a number of boaters did not conform to very limited movement requirements, so it is back to the normal requirements, whatever you believe they are.

As the Davies case was lost and he was covering the same area, please lets not rehash the case, I suspect C&RT would say CCing in that limited area would not comply.

Ken

Well taking the term literally, I'd say yes it's perfectly possible to continuously cruise in Bath.

I'd say at least three crews would be needed, so each can do one 8 hour shift per 24 hours.

Hope that helps...

(Not sure what CRT would make of a boat continuously cruising, 24/7 though!)

The answer is no, though others would say try it and take CaRT to court if they object.

The Davies case concluded that cruising between Bath and Bradford on Avon was not suitable.

This was a popular minimum cruising pattern as it can be done without any locking.

The K&A trial did allow cruising between Bath and Foxhangers (bottom of Devizes flight) which is the full "Western End", but CaRT have now ended this.

It appears to be excepted (except by a few militants) that it is now necessary to go up the flight and include a bit of the "long pound" in order to meet CaRTs requirements.

Another option might be to include most of the Bristol Avon in the cruising pattern, but if the ultimate objective is to live on a boat without boating then river cruising might not be desirable.

..............Dave

The answer is no, though others would say try it and take CaRT to court if they object.

The Davies case concluded that cruising between Bath and Bradford on Avon was not suitable.

This was a popular minimum cruising pattern as it can be done without any locking.

The K&A trial did allow cruising between Bath and Foxhangers (bottom of Devizes flight) which is the full "Western End", but CaRT have now ended this.

It appears to be excepted (except by a few militants) that it is now necessary to go up the flight and include a bit of the "long pound" in order to meet CaRTs requirements.

Another option might be to include most of the Bristol Avon in the cruising pattern, but if the ultimate objective is to live on a boat without boating then river cruising might not be desirable.

..............Dave

I agree. Due to the activities and debate by boaters and CRT on the K&A although some may still disagree the acceptable distances are reasonably clear what is acceptable more so than any other place and what seems to be intended by the OP does not fall within what is required.

My thought would be to get a mooring either a residential one (not that easy) where you want to live or get a mooring somewhere else but cruise the area you wish to.

..............Dave

I don't think I'll be the one to break it to my mate down there that he's going to have to go up and down Caen Hill evey now and then :(

I always thought the guidelines where pretty clear, if you need to remain in one area for employment / schools / other reasons then it is recommended that you get a mooring.

• Greenie 1

any reasonable user/lover of the canals must say 'NO' because it would be simply p*ss taking to try.

if 'they' don't intend to make a genuine progressive cruise then 'they' are just rule bending and I wish them the worst of luck.

Are you saying "No" to the question asked and being divisive and insulting at the same time?