Pair stuck under a bridge nr Stockton, Grand Union

AMModels

Featured Posts

According to facebook theres a pair of boats been stuck under Blue Lias bridge in Stockton for over 4 hours, butty is Northolt not sure which josher the motor is.

It could be Otter, I guess.

These two were moored together on the offside at Braunston a few days ago.

Is it possible Mr Burge is in charge? He brought Otter to Braunston, I think!

he's probably nonchalantly walking up and down pretending that they are mooring for the night there ....and videoing it.........

There is a post on Facebook by him that seems to anticipate he was stopping at the Blue Lias, although I'm not quite sure this was his intended meaning!

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

I think it is Otter... from the pics someone .. ahem .. has posted

does that mean I almost got a greenie?clapping.gif

That bridge at blue load is a bit of a beggar. It was tight for me a few weeks back.

ah, but your paint was soft...

I seem to remember the josher with the name President painted on it got jammed there several years ago whilst breasted up with a butty.

Back in my boating days 1960's/70's one of the bridges in that area ( can't remember exactly which ) you were not able to get a pair through breasted up without getting jammed. IIRC it was a combination of width & angle possibly not a problem for non full length boats.

It could be Otter, I guess.

These two were moored together on the offside at Braunston a few days ago.

Is it possible Mr Burge is in charge? He brought Otter to Braunston, I think!

Even if it isn't him, he would be the best man to get the boats free.

Whichever motor it is that's stuck, it will probably be just as keen to get away from him as the one in that video clip posted on here last February.

If he gets dressed up in his boatman's uniform and walks along the towpath towards the bridge, whistling as he goes, then the boats will likely wriggle free and nip off down the pound on their own as soon as they see him coming.

• Greenie 1

Having seen the picture of facebook, as has been said it is not the Blue Lias bridge, that is much too narrow to attempt to get a breasted up pair through anyway.

Have not seen the picture on facebook but I wonder if it is Birdingbury Wharf Bridge (next to the Boat Inn, Stockton). Due to a rubbing strip being added you could not get two 'modern' (i.e. 6' 10") boats through breasted up if they had pipe fenders between them.

Some years ago,I recall finding a working pair wedged under the bridge one Friday morning at eight o'clock. They had been there all night.

Both Blue Lias and Fosse (WFB) bridges are listed on hnbc website as being to narrow for a breasted pair.

Both of the above bridges have been too narrow for a breasted pair since at least the late 1970's. My recommendation to boaters with pairs has been to treat this canal as it was built - a narrow canal - but with the benefit of broad locks, and if you can't see the next lock then single out (or go very steady through the bridges as several are passable when abreast). Very few, if any, of the original bridges were widened as part of the early 1930's modernisation of these two canals.

Have not seen the picture on facebook but I wonder if it is Birdingbury Wharf Bridge (next to the Boat Inn, Stockton). Due to a rubbing strip being added you could not get two 'modern' (i.e. 6' 10") boats through breasted up if they had pipe fenders between them.

Some years ago,I recall finding a working pair wedged under the bridge one Friday morning at eight o'clock. They had been there all night.

That 'new' rubbing strip has caught me out when breasting up a motor and butty under that bridge on 24 April 2006, but I was stuck for only about 30 minutes. I was absolutely sure in my mind that back in the day I used to go abreast under that bridge without a problem.

That 'new' rubbing strip has caught me out when breasting up a motor and butty under that bridge on 24 April 2006, but I was stuck for only about 30 minutes. I was absolutely sure in my mind that back in the day I used to go abreast under that bridge without a problem.

One day Pete, you must post some images if you have any. Be very interesting.