Crinkly hoses

Bee

Featured Posts

I have a collection of garden hoses on the boat, all cheap, all kinked, some home to earwigs, spiders and killer bacteria, all rubbish. On the local market yesterday I was assured by a stall holder that these crinkly expanding hoses are the answer to all my problems, before I go and waste £15 are they any good at all?

I have a collection of garden hoses on the boat, all cheap, all kinked, some home to earwigs, spiders and killer bacteria, all rubbish. On the local market yesterday I was assured by a stall holder that these crinkly expanding hoses are the answer to all my problems, before I go and waste £15 are they any good at all?

Yes!

Thin fold flat type hoses tend to pop if laid across towpaths where cyclists can run over them, build a speed bump around them.

Edited by bizzard

Neighbour bought one of those crinkly hoses for their garden earlier this year, is back to borrowing my flat hose already, no idea what went wrong with the crinkly one but it didn't last more than a few weeks of light use in a small garden & greenhouse.

I have looked at these hoses.

If seems there are copies of the genuine XHose. The copies do tend to burst and pop.

The XHose has produced a MK2. I have spoken to a guy who has a genuine XHose. It's okay. His wife bought a cheaper copy which isn't.

Martyn

Edit to add. The XHose will cost you more than £15 if it's is actually an XHose.

PS. I still have a normal hose.

Edited by Nightwatch

We had a cassette reel type lay flat hose, was not too bad, had to remake the ends a few times, it eventually went hard and brittle and kept splitting.

It lasted around 3 years.

We now use a small 10m hose reel from wilko along with 5m of bog standard garden hose to connect it to the tap - not too bad, bit slower filling due to the smaller bore hose, but space is a premium were as time isn't!

Edited by gazza

I bought an expensive one from Range which I mostly use in the van. Had it a year now and excellent so far. The flat ones seem to readily spring leaks but if it was just for the boat and use ordinary hose as I have more room and am never as far from a tap as I am with the van.

We bought a crinkly hose to save space. It flails like an enraged serpent when in use - we had to cable tie it to the horn and also hold onto it while it filled the tank or it would escape. Probably OK for watering gardens where you hold onto the hose as standard. This summer we will take the normal hose with us instead!

I've got one of these, the best and toughest hose I've had, £2 at a car boot (available from lots of places). The blue layflat was 10X the price, and sprayed water everywhere after a year of use. And no, I don't suppose it is certified for drinking water use, but how many of the others are. The plastic hasn't affected my sperm count, AFAIK laugh.png

lHYp5MK.jpg

I'm never quite sure whether it is worth worrying about "food quality" hose, just for the last 30 feet or so. The water will have already travelled many miles through a system which may be 100 years old.

It has probably come from a reservoir which is full of fish poo, and quite probably the odd dumped car or two.

I generally use bottled water for cold drinks, and obviously boiled water for hot.

The Victorians had a very good solution to dodgy tap water; Drink Beer!

Bought one of the blue krinkle hoses (£30) when we first had the boat - lasted 2 fill ups before it sprung a leak. Bog standard garden hose on the reel has been just fine for us.

Store it on the roof in the top box during the summer and in the shower during the cold winter months so nothing inside it freezes

Edited by Bettie Boo

I have looked at these hoses.

If seems there are copies of the genuine XHose. The copies do tend to burst and pop.

The XHose has produced a MK2. I have spoken to a guy who has a genuine XHose. It's okay. His wife bought a cheaper copy which isn't.

Martyn

Edit to add. The XHose will cost you more than £15 if it's is actually an XHose.

PS. I still have a normal hose.

Just checked with my neighbour, his was a genuine XHose Pro, the black one with the brass fittings, it came apart at the end, pipe separated from fitting after about 3 or 4 uses. He's returned it and got a refund.

The Victorians had a very good solution to dodgy tap water; Drink Beer!

The Victorians had another good solution as well, for those rare occasions when beer isn't suitable. Commissioned by Queen Victoria herself to make sewage-laden Thames water safe for the royal household to drink, it's still available. For some reason it's now down to about half the RRP on ebay as well. It's called a Doulton British Berkefeld gravity water filter and the cheapest I've managed to find is here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171392054936

I have just invested in one of these Hoselock hoses on a nice big drum (25m). Very pleased with it. I can also run it from the boat's plumbing system when I am miles from a waterpoint...

dscf5031.jpg

Yep had mine 9 years. Winds in quickly, got me out of trouble, it`s long, when boats have been moored half on water points. Kept in locker. Probably outlast me.

I have just invested in one of these Hoselock hoses on a nice big drum (25m). Very pleased with it. I can also run it from the boat's plumbing system when I am miles from a waterpoint...

Well you're certainly a long way from a waterpoint there, but you promised you'd keep quiet about Wicken Fen!

We bought ours from, I think, The Range two seasons ago to save some space. It was reasonably expensive but so far has lasted fine. We are out from about April to September and fill up about twice a week. So far it's been used possibly 30 times. We don't really have room for a reel so our backup in case we ever need a very long length is standard yellow hose in the bottom of a locker. It's not been used since we got the crinkly hose. I fitted a very short length of stiffer standard hose to enable it to fit our filler better. Ours has a useful small tap at the end. We store it in a standard five litre plastic container with the top cut off but leaving the handle.

I would just get some decent soec knitted hoselock stuff. We have a 15-20ft lenght that does 90%, an longer length that does almost all but doenst normally come out and a 20yo flat roll for if were really desperate!

Daniel