Crinkly hoses

Bee

Featured Posts

Personally I think the crinkly hoses are a bit of a gimmick, Besides the fact that will never be as durable as a good quality standard hose, I read somewhere that the hose needs good water pressure for it work properly which also has the effect of reducing the flow. Considering the time it takes to fill an empty tank, anything that extends that period further would quickly become annoying.

To be fair never tried one so it might not be a problem.

I have a collection of garden hoses on the boat, all cheap, all kinked, some home to earwigs, spiders and killer bacteria, all rubbish. On the local market yesterday I was assured by a stall holder that these crinkly expanding hoses are the answer to all my problems, before I go and waste £15 are they any good at all?

In my village they were on offer in a local farm shop for £15. Around seven of us had one and all had serious faults which in most cases caused the inner tube to explode, if it does so its quite a bang.

The problems were all down to shoddy assembly, in the main the expandable fabric was not pulled into the hoselock connector far enough so when under pressure it came out and then if not spotted quickly the hose grew to enormous proportions and went bang. None of use them now and most were binned or folks returned them for refunds. A good idea but made and assembled badly.

I have just invested in one of these Hoselock hoses on a nice big drum (25m). Very pleased with it. I can also run it from the boat's plumbing system when I am miles from a waterpoint...

dscf5031.jpg

We've got one of those. Most efficacious and has lasted since 2007. I dose the tank with thin bleach when I fill it. I add the concentrated bleach to the tap end of the hose. This gives a concentrated dose to the hose and keeps it sweet. The hose has been run over by cars and vans on several occasion nary a leak.

N

PS Moved this topic to equipment.