Trent & Mersey Desperately Low on Water

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Last night in Wheelock between Locks 66 and 65 the pound drained - all paddles were 'down' but the water 'just went'.

This morning the pound was back up (8:00 am) but we could not clear the cill to exit from 45 to 46. A couple of lock-fulls from 46 helped and we managed to bounce over (we only draw 2 foot 3 inches so other boats will have big problems)

As we progressed towards the Harecastle Tunnel the bottom got nearer and nearer the top, we spent miles ploughing a furrow, as we got to lock 47 (Nr Church Lawton) the 'tidemark' on the brickwork was around 2 feet above the water level.

If there isn't a leak somewhere then we need some rain, or its going to be a disasterous Summer.

6.5 miles, 25 locks, ploughging and bouncing on the bottom most of the way - 6 hours 50 minutes.

That pound drains regularly, once we were first "up" and the pound was drained, and met CRT staff who have a daily task to visit and fill it each morning. Next time when we came up earlier, knew to go ahead and fill it. Also there's a number of other pounds on the flight which seem to struggle to keep their level when its busy, and they all need watching (when would you NOT watch the level of a pound while doing locks though). I am surprised you simply kept struggling, rather than go ahead and let water down. I don't think the summit pound (of the mainline...) is adversely affected though, is it?

It was just so low for so many miles, letting down a 'few locks' of water down would have had nil effect.

I have never seen it so low - a couple of pics from today

Normally up over the 'step'

CAM00003_zpsqcnqhg7i.jpg

Tide mark - two and a half rows of bricks above current water level

CAM00006_zpszz0ptj0c.jpg

I noticed the water levels were low but I did not experience any problems coming up except at lock 66 (Wheelock) where I came to a halt exiting the lock and we had to let down some water from the pound above.

The pound I'm in (nr Red Bull) looks to be about a foot down from normal but we're still floating. I checked C&RT's reservoir watch and the T&M does not have any specific reservoirs but obviously gets its water from the Macclesfield and the Caldon reservoirs which are at 88% and 89% levels, so there does not seem to be a shortage, it just needs to get let down to the T&M

I noticed the water levels were low but I did not experience any problems coming up except at lock 66 (Wheelock) where I came to a halt exiting the lock and we had to let down some water from the pound above.

The pound I'm in (nr Red Bull) looks to be about a foot down from normal but we're still floating.

I'm in the Red-Bull pound tonight (just by lock 43) - if you are on Albion I am behind you - if you are not then we are in different 'pounds'.

Strange one this. The Macclesfield and Peak Forest are full to the brim. The water is bubbling in quickly at Whaley Bridge. This is in marked contrast to this time last year when it was well down.

Putting that to one side, I find the whole water shortage, when reservoir are near as dammit full baffling. Why would CRT turn down the water supply causing low levels in the canals when they control both the canals and the resevoirs? Is there some kind of internal charging for water between departments or something?

I don't really want to hear all this talk of low water levels on the T & M, along with all the warnings in another thread about the narrow Cheshire locks between Middlewich and Harecastle. We are currently moored at Venetian, and plan to do the T&M through Harecastle the week after next, we draw 2ft 9ins under way and are neary 7ft wide!!!!

I don't really want to hear all this talk of low water levels on the T & M, along with all the warnings in another thread about the narrow Cheshire locks between Middlewich and Harecastle. We are currently moored at Venetian, and plan to do the T&M through Harecastle the week after next, we draw 2ft 9ins under way and are neary 7ft wide!!!!

There is plenty of water in all the reservoirs that feed the Macc,Caldon & T & M canals and summit levels are high.

I intend travelling down the Cheshire locks next week and don't anticipate any problems with water supply.

2ft 9ins draft shouldn't pose any problems. Many years ago 7 ft beam used to be a problem at Rumps Lock but I don't think that is an issue these days.If you are currently moored at Venetian Marina you might have already been through narrower locks than those on the Cheshire flight?

Don't worry and enjoy your trip. I might meet you on your travels ...........

Cheers

Phil

Going through Milford on top end of the stafs and worcs today was interesting. It's never good at the best of times. Looked about 6 inch down. Got to Radford and discovered a rather leaky injector so had to stop and sort that. On a side note the Radford bank now does take away carvery in a little box.

There is plenty of water in all the reservoirs that feed the Macc,Caldon & T & M canals and summit levels are high.

I intend travelling down the Cheshire locks next week and don't anticipate any problems with water supply.

2ft 9ins draft shouldn't pose any problems. Many years ago 7 ft beam used to be a problem at Rumps Lock but I don't think that is an issue these days.If you are currently moored at Venetian Marina you might have already been through narrower locks than those on the Cheshire flight?

Don't worry and enjoy your trip. I might meet you on your travels ...........

Cheers

Phil

We came up the Shrorshire Union, and none of those locks are particularly generous. Cholmondeston, next to Venetian gave less than a couple of inches over the rear guard irons. We were planning to go up the Llangollen but Hurleston bottom looked very tight on 6ft 10in boats so be gave that a miss.

We came up the Shrorshire Union, and none of those locks are particularly generous. Cholmondeston, next to Venetian gave less than a couple of inches over the rear guard irons. We were planning to go up the Llangollen but Hurleston bottom looked very tight on 6ft 10in boats so be gave that a miss.

CRT are often called out to remove a boat that's stuck in the bottom lock.

A couple of months ago, they had one of their own boats stuck there.

The comments from the "looky loo's" were quite amusing.

My boat is 6' 11 1/4 and fits in Hurleston bottom lock, but not a lot of spare. It depends a lot on where the widest point is as the sides of the lock are not parallel. C&RT did shave some of the concrete last year which has helped a couple of tight spots. If you do get stuck, try going in backwards as this will often move the tight spots and let you go up.

ETA: Most boats that get stuck have side fenders down... Despite the signs telling you to lift them. My mooring is only a mile from Hurleston and we often moor near the bottom so have seen plenty of 'events'.

Edited by dor

My boat is 6' 11 1/4 and fits in Hurleston bottom lock, but not a lot of spare. It depends a lot on where the widest point is as the sides of the lock are not parallel. C&RT did shave some of the concrete last year which has helped a couple of tight spots. If you do get stuck, try going in backwards as this will often move the tight spots and let you go up.

ETA: Most boats that get stuck have side fenders down... Despite the signs telling you to lift them. My mooring is only a mile from Hurleston and we often moor near the bottom so have seen plenty of 'events'.

If I had known they beforehand, i may well have invited you to pop over and offer some advice/assistance. Instead. we had to rely on the stories told to us by others who had got stuck in the past, and upon observations of other boats "squeezung" through on the day.

If I had known they beforehand, i may well have invited you to pop over and offer some advice/assistance. Instead. we had to rely on the stories told to us by others who had got stuck in the past, and upon observations of other boats "squeezung" through on the day.

Sorry I wasn't around to give you a hand David.

Watch out when you go up the Cheshire locks - one or two of those are tight, but they are signed and you can use the other one of the pair.

The pound on the Coventry between Atherstone bottom lock and Glascote top lock is about 9 inches down, presumably due to the high volume of traffic. The result is that DQ is aground on her mooring.

How would that work in a pound with locks going up at one end and down at the other, am I missing something? The pound could go down (slowly, it's a long pound) if the gates at Glascote top lock both have a leak, but I didn't notice any problem a few weeks ago. More traffic at Glascote would probably also mean more boats going through Atherstone and letting water down into the pound, tending to top up any shortfall in the level. The exception would be if lots of boats come up Glascote, then turn around at say Alvechurch and go back again.

Hullo David!

Next morning I followed your advice and tightened up our stern gland - and it worked! Since then has been re-packed, 3 rings of the graphite cord.

'Tempus Fugit' no longer exists - we painted over the name on Thursday evening - in fact both sides of the whole tub. From now on this 'ere vessel will be 'Witchy & Foxy'.

We stopped for a look at Shugborough next day, and I vaguely remember I also painted another large area of our engine 'ole that morning. Isn't it fun to do new adventures? And how time flies with this narrowboat lark?!

Send us a PM if Darkest Scandinavia interests you... Nice to find someone who talks more than me! :)

• Greenie 1