Braunston Historic Narrow Boat Rally - 27Th & 28Th June.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Browsing through these excellent snaps I was interested to see a tug marked "British Waterways Tardebigge No. 7". We saw this boat at Cropredy a couple of weekends ago, when it was presumably on its way to Braunston. I said to Mrs. Athy that it bore a resemblance to the Stewarts & Lloyds tugs apart from the livery. Does anyone know anything about it?

Its a Worcester and Birmingham Ice bracker.

Its last workign days was for BW. but the extention cabin was put on in the 90's I believe.

Edited by Jay4424

You should be able to if you log out of FB and disable auto log in

AFAIK there is no guest status on FB

I know that I have had non Facebook users able to see albums like this in the past.

Is there anybody here not on Facebook that has managed to see this album, please?

Browsing through these excellent snaps I was interested to see a tug marked "British Waterways Tardebigge No. 7". We saw this boat at Cropredy a couple of weekends ago, when it was presumably on its way to Braunston. I said to Mrs. Athy that it bore a resemblance to the Stewarts & Lloyds tugs apart from the livery. Does anyone know anything about it?

Tardebigge is one of the "historic boats" I drool after! I believe it was at one time an ice breaker but I am told not much of it is original now.

18669280953_83f25c5bb7_b.jpgDSCF4472

http://hnbc.org.uk/boats/tardebigge

Edited by Ray T

a quick HNBC search shows this:

Tardebigge

Not strictly an historic boat.

In 1974 when Antlia was chopped in two, the stern was converted to a tug by BW and fitted with a new riveted bow, the new boat being called Tardebigge.

When the two halves of Antlia were reunited c1997, the bow of Tardebigge was fitted with a new stern and became this boat.

a quick HNBC search shows this:

Tardebigge

Not strictly an historic boat.

In 1974 when Antlia was chopped in two, the stern was converted to a tug by BW and fitted with a new riveted bow, the new boat being called Tardebigge.

When the two halves of Antlia were reunited c1997, the bow of Tardebigge was fitted with a new stern and became this boat.

This is fairly typical of the Historic Narrow Boat Club website, and this source really should be correct.

It is very well documented that ANTLIA was cut in two in about 1957 (not 1974), the plans for the stern being built into the tug TARDEBIGGE being dated 1956/57. There are several photographs of this conversion being carried out and it looks as though the fore end was constructed from new plates but possibly integrating an older stem post.

The fore end was converted to the 'British Waterways hire cruiser WATER VIXEN in 1958.

I am fairly confident that both of these conversions were carried out at Ocker Hill, which at that time was the main maintenance depot for the South Western Division.

Both ends of ANTLIA were rejoined in 1995 to create a 60' unconverted motor. The redundant fore end of the ice breaking tug TARDEBIGGE and the redundant stern of the rebuilt hire cruiser WATER VIXEN (previously renamed as KITTY) were also joined together to create the boat currently named TARDEBIGGE - a boat that in my opinion has very little historical significance captain.gif

I'm uploading some videos at present to https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqGHqimQWdABqbxJeJtmeKD5WvAKLSFAI

These include Reginald, the steamers, Gorse, Pelican, Ibex, Victoria, Madeley, Ling Laurel and Clover & Northolt.

More to come over the next few days.

Edit to add my apolgies for the wind noises !

Edited by jake_crew

Even though I managed to get my pictures off the camera and onto the iPad on Monday the uploading of them onto Flickr seems reluctant to deal with more than about 10 a day so here's the link to the Album and they'll all appear in there at some point! :)

https://flickr.com/photos/9662190@N02/sets/72157654762445958

I'm uploading some videos at present to https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqGHqimQWdABqbxJeJtmeKD5WvAKLSFAI

These include Reginald, the steamers, Gorse, Pelican, Ibex, Victoria, Madeley, Ling Laurel and Clover & Northolt.

Great vids, many thanks!

The best one is the one of REGINALD, obviously.... :D

Did you juxtapose it with LING deliberately, being such similar engines? I was surprised how much quieter LING's early Bolinder was compared to REGINALD's Skandia. I never got to talk to the owner of LING about it, disappointingly.

Thanks from me too Ian, they are indeed fabulous pictures.

Peter.

Hi jake_crew, sadly enough I haven't been able to see you videos yet, because of the bad signal I have, but as soon as I'm somewhere that enables me to see them I surely will enjoy watching them.

Peter.

Great vids, many thanks!

The best one is the one of REGINALD, obviously.... biggrin.png

Did you juxtapose it with LING deliberately, being such similar engines? I was surprised how much quieter LING's early Bolinder was compared to REGINALD's Skandia. I never got to talk to the owner of LING about it, disappointingly.

Of course (not........) just lucky !

Great vids, many thanks!

The best one is the one of REGINALD, obviously.... biggrin.png

Lings quiter?!? ... I've had so much flac over the LOUDness of it this week! :-/ ...or do you have one of those silencers you can stick in the pipe that people have been telling me todo?!?

Been wondering: is there any connection between Reginald's Skandia and the more modern Scandia lorries?

Engine = Skandia

Lorries (I think!) usually always = Scania

The "d" makes all the difference, I think.

Flamingo just gone past us. I was walking along the tow path with Margaret. You don't know me. We waved at each other.

I like Flamingo by the way.

Marthn

Ah, genuinely didn't realise it was you!

No problem Alan. I'm not expecting you to know me from Adam. Do you know Adam by the way.

Well we do know a canal based Adam - the one who writes boat reviews for Canal Boat magazine.....

I know you are not him!