Insurance renewal stress.....

frangar

Featured Posts

Hi chaps

Having a little bit of fun with Towergate Mardon

Despite asking for all correspondence via email I still had to phone to get my renewal notice sent and even then it took a couple of attempts....

Then now it's arrived I've found the premium has gone up £32 and the excess has gone from £200 to £250...I'm not a happy bunny....and they are now too busy to answer the phone...well they did answer at one point to tell me they were too busy and they weren't the marine dept and they would call me back...guess what?....yes I'm still waiting!...I've sent an email and I'm waiting for that now too!

Anyway just wondering if anyone else's insurance has gone up this year for no reason or are they just trying it on?

I would go somewhere else but my boat is over 30 and the hull survey is now a few years old so other companies don't won't to know...plus it residential cover with contents etc....however when I get I new survey next year I think it's time to change...a shame cos they were good once...I've been with them since it was Michael Stimpson himself.

As usual any thoughts welcome...

Cheers

Gareth

I would have thought it worth shopping around next time. I have used Craftsure for the last few years and premiums have stayed the same for the last 3 years. Of course the time you learn how good ones insurance company is when you make a claim. That we have yet to do and quite happy for it to stay that way!

It is irritating when someone says they will call you back and then don't. It seems a common occurrence with all sorts of companies these days.

Edited by churchward

Hi chaps

Having a little bit of fun with Towergate Mardon

Despite asking for all correspondence via email I still had to phone to get my renewal notice sent and even then it took a couple of attempts....

Then now it's arrived I've found the premium has gone up £32 and the excess has gone from £200 to £250...I'm not a happy bunny....and they are now too busy to answer the phone...well they did answer at one point to tell me they were too busy and they weren't the marine dept and they would call me back...guess what?....yes I'm still waiting!...I've sent an email and I'm waiting for that now too!

Anyway just wondering if anyone else's insurance has gone up this year for no reason or are they just trying it on?

I would go somewhere else but my boat is over 30 and the hull survey is now a few years old so other companies don't won't to know...plus it residential cover with contents etc....however when I get I new survey next year I think it's time to change...a shame cos they were good once...I've been with them since it was Michael Stimpson himself.

As usual any thoughts welcome...

Cheers

Gareth

Why don't you phone Michael Stimpson direct - tel No. 0800 515629 or 01923 770425 Unless he has recently retired, he still works for their marine department.

Personally I would shop around, I was witjh Michael Stimpson for years, but got fed up with Mardon's requirement for a full hull survey every four years, so I transferred to SAGA who were a few pounds cheaper for the same cover, do not require a hull survey, and the premium has not increased in the last three years.

Edited by David Schweizer

Another vote for Craftinsure for regular boat insurance, all web based and easy. Also twice when I've phoned for estuary cover (Wash & Severn) I've spoken to someone who knew what I was talking about - unlike CRT at times - and it was sorted over the phone for a modest extra charge.

Why don't you phone Michael Stimpson direct - tel No. 0800 515629 or 01923 770425 Unless he has recently retired, he still works for their marine department.

Personally I would shop around, I was witjh Michael Stimpson for years, but got fed up with Mardon's requirement for a full hull survey every four years, so I transferred to SAGA who were a few pounds cheaper for the same cover, do not require a hull survey, and the premium has not increased in the last three years.

Sadly I'm not quite old enough for Saga! But thanks for Michaels number...I will try him tomorrow

I would have thought it worth shopping around next time. I have used Craftsure for the last few years and premiums have stayed the same for the last 3 years. Of course the time you learn how good ones insurance company is when you make a claim. That we have yet to do and quite happy for it to stay that way!

It is irritating when someone says they will call you back and then don't. It seems a common occurrence with all sorts of companies these days.

I think it's time for a change once I have a new hull survey....they weren't a great experience when I needed to change and clarify some bits last year...and this year is even worse!...shame really. I agree that "someone will call you back as soon as possible" never happens these days. I reckon if they won't take your money then they might not like paying out either!

Cheers

Gareth

Do craftinsure cover residential use with some all risks cover? I can't seem to find any info on the website....I will phone them in the morning but just wondered if anyone knows? Also do they need immediate proof of hull survey as we are out boating now and all that sort of thing is back at base to make sure it was safe if the worst happened!

Cheers

Gareth

I did SAGA then the next year moved to Craftinsure as Saga wanted valuation done after I had finished boat..I sent them one but they claimed lost in post and wanted another and then I got fed up.

I can't agree with the Craftinsure choice. I was with them without a claim over 8 years, 2006 to 2014, and during that time owned two boats, the first a Freeman 24, and the second (the last as it is now sold), a 2004 57 foot semi trad narrowboat by Dragon Narrowboats. It was certainly easy to renew online each year, the premium didn't alter much and I was happy until.....

The Marina I had entrusted blacking to over the 5 years I owned the narrowboat managed to allow it to sink after relaunching on the last and third occasion they did it in March 2014, while still in their care and within the Marina. The Marina persistently failed to provide their own insurance details that would allow me to claim directly off their insurance, so I had to notify Craftinsure, my own insurer, about a potential large claim - my surveyor estimated £20k of damage as a result of the sinking. Due to the possibility of a large claim, Craftinsure passed it to their underwriters, Navigators & General.

In the first instance, because the sinking was preventable, (by the marina I presume. I was unaware of any issues and I contracted them to maintain my boat regularly), they were edging towards refusing my claim. I felt I was "up the creek without a paddle" at that point!

My surveyor was able to show an alleged possible negligence by the Marina, so as this scenario was included in the wording of my Craftinsure policy, they (N&G) were then forced to go down the route of investigating and eventually settling my claim.

However, again due to the wording of the Craftinsure policy, they would not do the work as stipulated by my surveyor that would, in his opinion, maintain the boat's value after repairs. They would only go as far as replacing what was actually wrong, such as lifted ceramic floor tiles, and other basic work. An alternator that had been completely submerged for two days actually worked when dry, so it was left in situ. It's replacement was refused by my insurer. The submerged starter motor would not work. The Marina engaged to carry out repairs wanted to replace it, but the insurer would not fund that, only for it to be reconditioned. Not satisfactory in everybody's opinion, except my insurer. My surveyor recommended a complete strip out, replace water damaged timber and machinery, treat the internal hull etc etc. All "betterment" in they eyes of my insurer, and all refused. They would eventually only agree to repairs amounting to £5k, and during the 12 months after the event fighting my case with solicitors, I was forced to accept that.

I then decided to sell the boat as salvage as is, rather than accept a repair that could be troublesome and potentially expensive to maintain due to continuing failures as a result of water damage.

My story has already been well documented on this forum, but Craftinsure, in my opinion, were just one player in a series of failures that caused me to lose my boat. I found them (their underwriters Navigators & General) very difficult to deal with after my claim. I believe the service I received could have been much better. None of this event was my fault, but I felt that I got no help at all from them along the way. I fed my thoughts back to Craftinsure at the end, but they never replied to my email. After selling my boat I cancelled my policy, again with no further contact from them.

As with all insurers, it is how they perform after a claim that matters, not how they behave along the way, or the cost of their premium.

Renewed with Towergate a couple of months ago.

They were not quite as good at answering the phone as in previous years but once I got through it was straightforward and even a couple of pounds cheaper than last year without any bartering.

Sadly we live in a time when almost all big companies are reducing customer service so as to maximise profits and dividends for shareholders etc etc, so before switching companies I would make sure that you are not exchanging a frying pan for a fire.

..........Dave

Towergate have undergone a major restructuring, basically selling off big chunks of the business to reduce their debt. I had my business and home insurance with them, the business stuff was unceremoniously traansferred to another company only a few weeks after renewal, and I had a call just yesterday from a company I'd never heard of which claimed to have taken over the TM home insurance book and offering me an instant quote.

If you have your boat insured with them your cover should still be OK even if TM go down the pan, because it'll actually be with Royal Sun Alliance or another company whose name escapes me. Worth just checking the policy, though ;)

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Well they won't budge on the price..or the excess...apparently that's how the market is now according to them. I was given a load of waffle about underwriters revaluating the risks! I now do get the feeling they are just a call centre who know nothing.

I'm waiting for a call back from craftinsure...I feel I may be at a disadvantage this year due to not having a hull survey that's under 5 years old...I moaned about the 4 year renewal to Towergate a couple of years ago and the extended it...which now might mean I'm stuck with them for this year....boo!

Having had untold grief with car & house insurance even for claims which have not been my fault I really don't trust any of them if you need to claim although threatening Direct Line with a personal visit to their offices did work once!

I will see how I get on.

Cheers

Gareth

Funnily enough I got the impression I was dealing with a call centre too. The business has moved from Shrewsbury to Cheltenham. The policy cost has increased more than yours and so has the excess.

The accuracy of their information leaves a lot to be desired. On one page the home base is "not known". A couple of pages later the correct marina is mentioned.

They do pay out though when you need them to.

We have been with craftinsure for 7 years, needed to claim last week for the first time, have to say they were great & we have received a settlement we are happy with,the excess is a bit steep at £300 but when we are only paying £154 pa it really isn't too bad.

Edited by Jamboat

Funnily enough I got the impression I was dealing with a call centre too. The business has moved from Shrewsbury to Cheltenham.

I recently contacted TM by email (holding on the phone lost its appeal after 10 minutes) to inform them that I had moved the boat from Northampton Marina to Whixall Marina. Got an email back asking me to phone them so that they could discuss it. Phoned them, gave them the information and was asked if Whixall was an inland marina.

The Shrewsbury staff were good, the new lot aren't. We could very likely become an ex-client at renewal time, despite twelve years with them, nine as resi. Great shame.

Funnily enough I got the impression I was dealing with a call centre too. The business has moved from Shrewsbury to Cheltenham.

I recently contacted TM by email (holding on the phone lost its appeal after 10 minutes) to inform them that I had moved the boat from Northampton Marina to Whixall Marina. Got an email back asking me to phone them so that they could discuss it. Phoned them, gave them the information and was asked if Whixall was an inland marina.

The Shrewsbury staff were good, the new lot aren't. We could very likely become an ex-client at renewal time, despite twelve years with them, nine as resi. Great shame.

Hi ya,

There was a thread running about insurance about 9 or 10 pages back, as with several others that might be worth a read for you,

But I hope you get it sorted anyway.

You could try Coleman 01202647400

I have found them very good, and are happy to tailor the policy to a degree for your specific requirements.

Mine is for Inland and coastal, Private, Pleasure and Stipulates 'a Full time livaboard', including Contents Machinery, Tender, Life raft, Outboard, Personal effects cover for anyone aboard up to the certificated threshold (of 10 people or 1250kg) of up to £250 etc etc loads more

£276.00 (90k Aluminum Alloy boat).

I have given them 3 Complete out of water full surveys, and the premium has remained pretty constant over the years I have been with them, regardless of where I am geographically.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

GJW Direct is my choice, 0500141141, they are one of the few that pay out no quibble.

Survey is negotiable, their barge policy is fully residential with contents cover.

And if you go with them and quote my policy number I get a £20 bonus ;)

Thanks for the pointers .....I'm running out of time for this year...and still waiting for craftinsure to phone me back for a second time...they promised a call this morning because everyone was busy when I called but I was busy when they tried about two hours later...and they were still busy this afternoon...and I'm still waiting!.

I will see what tomorrow brings and report back!

Cheers

Gareth

Well after all that I've had to renew with Towergate....Craftinsure rang me back about three hours after I called when I was busy with other stuff....so I called them back as soon as I could yesterday afternoon...and I'm still waiting for another call from them...why I just couldn't speak to someone I have no idea.

I had also forgotten the small point of a weekend robbing me of a couple of days of phoning round!

However I am going to get in touch with a few companies over the winter at my leisure and see what they say with regard to cover and surveys etc.

I will update this thread as I find stuff out as I know I'm not the only one who's boat whilst in good nick is over the magic 30 barrier....and having to fund a full hull survey every few years especially when as in my case they don't vary is an expense that could be better spent on beer!

Thanks again for everyone's help and rest assured I will be following up all the leads given.

Cheers

Gareth