Modern hulls to carry cargo

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Might seem a daft question but I'm considering whether a modern hull can be converted to carry cargo. The old carrying boats I see sit high in the water and tower over new boats. Is converting an existing hull an option or do I need an old working boat?

Thanks

Hi Jolly,

Yes definitely can be done see here http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=372088modern boats have lots of ballast in the bottom of the hull to keep them stable, the reason you see old carrying boats riding high is they don't have this. Then when loaded up they could almost be down in to the gunnels. Sparras could drink off the gunnels was the old saying. I dare say you would have to be chosey on a hull you covert with ref. hull stiffness and steel thickness and more supporting superstructure added in chains to.

Someone more experienced than I will no doubt pop along and advise 1st hand.

Ade

Edited by Mendip-Locks

The wording on the boat is

Winkwell Dock

01442 872985

I don't know if the boat still exists. Worth giving them a phone call?

Yes, this boat is still at Winkwell, I think.

However unless OP gives some idea what they want to carry, and how much of it, it is impossible to answer whether an adapted leisure boat could suit.

A full length working (motor) boat will load to something like 20 tons, if there is enough water for it to float in, (a butty maybe 5 tons more than a motor). The boat that is pictured there is highly unlikely to be good for more than about 10 tons, because of its length and a "hold" that will be very much shallower than "the real thing". You might load a working boat to a draft of say 3' 6", and it will have at least 4' deep hull sides, so still show 6" of side with that load on. Many leisure boat hulls are nothing like 3' 6" deep, so if you try and achieve a loaded draft of 3' 6", the results will not be good(!)

So jollymoggy, what do you want to carry, and how much of it?

Some boats may convert better than others - for instance we locked down Braunston flight on UCC Great Britain and Al Akehurst on Star class Archimedes. They madea fine pair and Al commented that without the cabin Great Britain would make a good carrying boat. I would like to put a photo in hear but my images are no longer available in my gallery.gallery_3364_231_23547.jpg

Image added now gallery restored

Edited by Richard T

However unless OP gives some idea what they want to carry, and how much of it, it is impossible to answer whether an adapted leisure boat could suit.

A full length working (motor) boat will load to something like 20 tons, if there is enough water for it to float in, (a butty maybe 5 tons more than a motor). The boat that is pictured there is highly unlikely to be good for more than about 10 tons, because of its length and a "hold" that will be very much shallower than "the real thing". You might load a working boat to a draft of say 3' 6", and it will have at least 4' deep hull sides, so still show 6" of side with that load on. Many leisure boat hulls are nothing like 3' 6" deep, so if you try and achieve a loaded draft of 3' 6", the results will not be good(!)

I will be carrying fuel. 4 tons of diesel + storage tanks weight and 2 tons of coal.

Of course there a quite a few examples of "new build" narrow boats specifically built for carrying.

A very goof example is Arundel

IMG_0400_Arundel_Joe_Apsley.JPG

Broadly it is a modern "Large Northwich", but without a rivet anywhere in sight.

I will be carrying fuel. 4 tons of diesel + storage tanks weight and 2 tons of coal.

It would be feasible, then.

You could also do this with a much shorter, but "real" boat like this one.......

Sudbury

Seems good value to me.

Only carrying 2 tons of coal would sound far too little, if this is intended for carrying it for resale.

Is that a valid generalisation?

Our boat has hull sides just on 4' and she isn't particularly "high waisted", looking round the marina if most boats are drawing around 2' they must have gunwale heights (above base plate) of at least 3'6".

I suspect the trend towards shallower hull sides is a relatively modern thing. Funny though that widebeams seem to be going in the opposite direction, most of the newer boats I've seen seem to have ridiculously deep hull sides.

Isn't that the one that advertises coal for sale, but there is no hold on the boat ?

They must have a huge coal scuttle.

Keith & Jo have not sold solid fuels for a good many years now, I think. They did use to.