We are inconsiderate boaters! Apparently...

johnmck

Featured Posts

Today, in the rain, halestone and wind, we left Wheelock heading for Middlewich.

For the miles before we reached the first lock, we saw ner a boat moving. The weather was truly awful.

Upon arrival at the first lock, Crows nest, we found it against us, but with nobody in sight, Ali filled it and we began the descent.

At this point a boat hove into view and an agitated lady disembarked. She was not apparently a happy bunny. When she approached Ali, she told her that we had "wasted" a lock which was in her favour!

Ali tried to explain that their boat was not in view, that we were already descending upon their approach, but all to no avail.

Transpires a single hander was ahead of us, and all the locks had thus far been in their favour and thus, So should this one have been!!!

So to the lady. Please accept our sincere apologies. Perhaps Black Prince will compensate you for your distress...

Oh come on, you should know better, Get yourself a pair of those Binoculars that can see around bends, and have built in Radar and Text alert to warn of approaching vessels !.

=seriously, I know what you're on about though, and it's hard to describe the situation or circumstance unless you was there !,

You made a decision at the time, your call

And you know it's going to happen again,,,are your ears burning tonight ?

We've had that happen except the lady in question made snide comments about "people turning locks" without directly accusing us. You just have to feel sorry for folks who spoil their boating experience by waiting for an opportunity to feel aggrieved

You need to learn a few Russian / Polish / Lithuanian phrases. Just trot them out with a smile, and then, having lit the blue touch paper, sail off knowing you've really screwed their day!! (Can't do smileys on this iPad thingy)

• Greenie 1

Tis a funny thing when you experience a rude type on the waterways. On the street, you can completely screen it out but on the waterways, it kinda jerks.

Edited by mark99

Did she scream at you it's no wonder you've been married 4 times and all you think about is yourself and you couldn't care less about your kids?

Next time do take the effort to send someone round the bend on a bike and stand ready to close the gate and do the paddles for them.

... Where do you get the binoculars that see around corners and into the future by the way? smile.png

Second sight occulists of course.

Have you never seen them?

Today, in the rain, halestone and wind, we left Wheelock heading for Middlewich.

For the miles before we reached the first lock, we saw ner a boat moving. The weather was truly awful.

Upon arrival at the first lock, Crows nest, we found it against us, but with nobody in sight, Ali filled it and we began the descent.

At this point a boat hove into view and an agitated lady disembarked. She was not apparently a happy bunny. When she approached Ali, she told her that we had "wasted" a lock which was in her favour!

Ali tried to explain that their boat was not in view, that we were already descending upon their approach, but all to no avail.

Transpires a single hander was ahead of us, and all the locks had thus far been in their favour and thus, So should this one have been!!!

So to the lady. Please accept our sincere apologies. Perhaps Black Prince will compensate you for your distress...

As you were going in the opposite direction to her presumably after you passed all the locks would be her favour, biggrin.png

Edited by BGA

As you were going in the opposite direction to her presumably after you passed all the locks would be her favour, biggrin.png

Sadly, for her, starting out from Wheelock there would be no locks prior to Crows Nest.

George ex nb Alton retired

We had a lock turned in front of us when only about 75-100 yds away.

When asked why they said "It was our turn".

Rob....

On the other hand, we arrived at a lock set in favour of a smart Hudson coming the other way. The gates were even open for them, but instead of motoring straight in, they moored up on the landing stage.

I walked down somewhat irritated and asked if they were coming through the lock, they said 'yes, we are'. A bit taken aback I was all like, why are you waiting here then, and not going into the open lock?

They explained they'd seen we arrived at the lock first and therefore it was our turn not theirs, to use the lock and it was only polite to wait for us to pass through first...

A brief chat revealed they were first-time hirers so I ran through the normal lock protocol with then and they were grateful to find out. And on my part, I had no idea until then there were Hudsons out there as hire boats!

T'other day I was roundly berating whoever had preceded us for leaving both upper lock gates wide open ..... until I tried to close them when I left and they insisted on swinging open again