look left then right

bigcol

Featured Posts

A tow path Can be dangerous for dithery old sod with stick

you need to have your wits about you, pedestrians with children or dogs share the path with

Cyclists, joggers, runners, and supersonic bikes.

I know most will think I'm crazy, but these things are so fast!

Most are fast, but some are cycled by teeth clenching, spandex clothed speeding super bikes lol

If your lucky you may hear their bell, but can be on top of you in a split second. And they never stop!

How fast can these bikes go?.

Then you have the slower joggers, but then theirs the sports version runner, again the sports version do not slow or stop for pedestrians, dogs on leads have no chance.

Does Anyone know the top speed of a super fast runners?

This morning I was sat on the boat step, marvling how dedicated, and how the tow path works in the early morning rush hour. It's like a motor way, Bikers and runners causing a slip streams. Any faster they break the sound barrier.! Gone back in side and you can here the supersonic hiss sound as one as just gone past. But clamber up to wheelhouse and their gone! Lol

Where is a fisherman when you need one, with his speed ramp? (Pole)

Still loving it, but you have to be careful stepping of your boat

A lot goes on, on a tow path

Col

Edited by bigcol

I guess my take on the towpath is....

first and foremost it's there for the "use" of boaters whether it be for a horse towing a boat or a crew member holding or tying up / mooring a boat.

I'm more than happy to share it with walkers, joggers, runners, cyclists & fishing enthusiasts; but do feel they all need to be aware if I'm pulling in our 30 ton boat with the centre line I have the "right of way" and will not be moving to accommodate them; they can either wait, dismount or walk behind me. Not being a wee petite little thing there should be no issue of them seeing me, if I'm working the boat I rarely pay much attention to bike bells ringing as my focus is on the boat and the person at the tiller. Besides, my natural reaction would be to step backwards (inland) not forward towards the edge.

I do try to ensure I use no more than 1/2 the width of the towpath when pulling the boat in, but if the wind is up and blowing the boat off I might need a bit more to get the leverage right.

After reading a few of the tales told on the forum of folks stepping in holes and breaking / spraining ankles & legs when stepping off their boats - I tend to be very cautious when stepping off the boat. Jumping is not something that is part of my technique icecream.gif

I do get the feeling you are both talking about the 2m wide Tarmaced towpaths in places like Stoke Bruerne.

Speeding bikes are not a problem on real towpaths like we have on the Southern Oxford. 8" wide and either bumpy as hell or 3" deep in mud.

:)

MtB

That's it Bettie Boo, the motorway is a dry mud path in between 2 strips of grass

As mikes post, must be bumpy as hell!

I've noticed Sign posts says (cyclist 10 mph speed limit). Not Mach 1

No wonder they all wear helmets, all styled for max speed

Col

Edited by bigcol

"how much did you pay for that bike? And they didn't fit a bell"

"if you can afford a bell you could shout "ding ding" "

Often heard when a bike surprises me.

On ordinary pavements "won't your mum let you ride on the road? "

I always give way to cyclists on the towpath, I stand in the hedge and they get to pass 'canalside'; if there is an 'RTC' they are the ones likely to end up in the cut, not me. My slow bike does not have a bell, I prefer to ask politely 'May I pass'.

The last of bigcol's points is the one that has most often caught me out - looking out before stepping off of the boat, I have nearly been run down on several occasions.

Alan

We just had a regular customer (in his 50th year of boating this year in fact) nearly run over by a gaggle of cyclist who came flying down our drive onto the towingpath. They could see him from a good distance and would have been well aware that he had his back to them and was engaged in conversation but made no effort to slow down or sound a warning, just swerved round him at the last minute. Had one of our staff not said something, he would have stepped straight into their path.

Several years ago a cyclist fell off whilst trying to ride over a hose which was across the towingpath (hardly unreasonable at a water point). The chap broke his wrist, which was unfortunate, but then successfully sued the owner of the boat. I assume (with tongue firmly in cheek) everyone here is aware of this, and(as their insurance company will require in their T&Cs) does something to mitigate this risk?

There is in my opinion a strong argument that CRT should require cyclists to dismount round locks, water points and certain other places (low arch bridges for example) for their/our protection, but it would mean yet more signage.

Edited by Rose Narrowboats

There is in my opinion a strong argument that CRT should require cyclists to dismount round locks, water points and certain other places (low arch bridges for example) for their/our protection, but it would mean yet more signage.

Complete waste of time. There are already signs at numerous locations which invariably are ignored.

The only advantage of signs is the ability to refute litigation when the idiot finishes up in the cut.

George ex nb Alton retired

Not on a tow path, but an old railway, where I sometimes walk the MIL's dog there is a tarmacked ramp about 400 yards long leading down to the old track bed, which in now a bridleway. At the top and bottom of this ramp there are large notices asking cyclists to dismount. The majority don't and Mil's dog and me are expected to get out of the "lycra louts" way. Suggesting that these cyclists should go back to school and complete the 3 R's only brings verbal abuse.

So not just tow paths I'm afraid.

Edited by Ray T

I'm a regular pedestrian in central London. The behaviour of what I believe is probably a majority of cyclists in that area beggars belief. I've learned to check on the nearside of vehicles when I use crossings to be sure there's not one head down arse up about to ignore the stationary traffic and carry my rucksack in such a way as to be ready to use it to fend off the ones that ride straight through red lights.