A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

The rear 5/8" bronze bolt on the left has been replaced with a 316 M20 bolt, I drilled up through the bottom with a mag drill, the short M20 nut and bolt on the bottom of the skeg fills the hole I used as a guide for the mag drill.

I've got to repeat this for the 3 remaining 5/8" bolts that pass all the way through the new skeg. You can see one clearly in the photo to the right of the short M20 bolt, They are that long as a piece of oak used to be there.

All 5/8" bolts are a bit wasted from corrosion over the last 50 years and are at risk of being sheared off if I clout something serious.

The new bolts pull up on the flat steel that mates to the keel, totally protected from any risk of impact.

The one I have replaced was easy as the glass cap over the bolt head inside the boat was under the prop shaft, the other three are under the engine and box hence the need to lift it to get access to the heads, both to grind it away to replace the bolts and to glass over them when I have fitted the new bolts.

Edited by gazza

OMG i need new glasses, it took me 5 mins to see the bloody bolt lol, Blended into the backgrund, well that my excuse lol

All the mag drill i have seen are that big they wouldnt even fit under there, but then i have only seen bigger site ones like on gantry use and steel structure.Is this on your boat? thought yours is GRP ?

OMG i need new glasses, it took me 5 mins to see the bloody bolt lol, Blended into the backgrund, well that my excuse lol

All the mag drill i have seen are that big they wouldnt even fit under there, but then i have only seen bigger site ones like on gantry use and steel structure.Is this on your boat? thought yours is GRP ?

Yes it's our GRP Elysian 27, the old oak skeg was getting a wee bit tired, I was worried about it failing and taking the stern gear with it. We've been planning to get across the Wash to Boston for a few years now, no way it was fit to go and possibly be bashed about a bit.

I made the steel skeg at work, I'm no chippy! Rumour had it there was oak skegs available at Cathedral Marine in Ely - left overs from building E27's all them years ago! I didn't fancy trying to fit a piece of wood that had laid around for donkeys years and try to get everything straight!

We have a mini revo mag drill at work, fitted with a Jacobs chuck and a shortened blacksmith 20mm drill it fits under a treat!

Your lucky to have good weather still hey, been nice up here, still not much been done, just to tired after work now, Isnt it good when you can get hold of good gear to get the job done easy, would of been no fun with a cordless. Would of looked nice in wood, but the when do you see it lol.

Anyway, as said above i have not got much dome during the week days as i have been to tired to do much, i get grumpy rushing the jobs so i have decided not to do anything during the week to it, well maybe a few bits but nothing to tell of.

Soooo, i have just booked of two weeks end of October to spend on the boat and maybe a day fishing if i can fit it in, we are not going away, due to the boat neeeeds doing so may aswell make use of my days off. Should get a fair bit done.

List is

new rear deck and seal in the rails.

sand down where i splashed resin on the shell.

if nice paint top deck

rewire and line out and do the frame work.

must be twp weeks worth there, but the rails and deck may done before hand subject to weather at weekends.

Been reading this thread over the weekend.

All I want to say, hats of to you.

Just look at what you have achieved

A couple of set backs, but you got over them quickly and carry on with with this great project.

You've given life to this boat, and if indeed a boat has a soul it's smiling and grinning

And will be arround for many years t come.

Well done that man!!

• Greenie 1

LOL Richard, have early finishs now, thursdays and fridays as had hours dropped at work,,so good and bad, good in more time for the boat.

Oh and not been slacking much, just nothing to shout about....but bear with ;) watch this space.

And there was me hoping for more pictures... wink.png

it was a trial as i am having difficulty with photobucket, all sorted now though and using another place.

So here we go, this weekend been busy with bit n bobs. Plan was to redo the rear deck, but as the marine ply was not delivered that was put on hold. And i couldnt make the GRP panels as i needed the hardboard aswel to make them which was coming with the ply. oh well still had lots to do.

I removed the rails etc so i can polish them up, then i had to finish the canopy, just fettle a few imperfections........more filling and sanding I HATE SANDING AND FILLERing frusty.gif

Now bits that have been done, there was a few spiders on the bow which i ground back and filled with a good GRP filler. it is on the tread area which will be either all oxide painted or tread stuck on.

20160911_152758.jpg

20160911_152805.jpg

all ground back with a flexi disc

20160911_153527.jpg

filled and good now, also there was a few screws i forgot about that had rusted through.

20160915_182105.jpg

Another job was to finish canopy, only trouble with doing it this way is to get a good finish, but a smooth filler and its a matter of fill, sand, fill sand untill your happy with it, and as always i want it perfect so take darn ages.

20160915_181005.jpg

primed, it is amazing how much a little paint shows up defects, but it is ok. bit more to fill then refit the canopy for now.

20160915_181947.jpg

h but before i fitted the canopy back on the screen i primed that to see where that needs a fettle, not to bad but that is todays job. Looking better now all the same colour

smile.png

chuffed with the finish now

20160917_135229.jpg

20160917_132811.jpg

One thing i need is grab rials for the canopy top, i didnt want to add more stainless steel ones as this will give more draft, and for now i want to keep as low as possible, and as there is no wood but for the rubbing strake i though this mite help out a little. I used the same Sapele as i do ike it and will be coated with Danish clear oil.

20160917_170033.jpg

20160917_172656.jpg

20160917_170015.jpg

These pics are all over the place sorry but i sorted the rails out, all welded up now just need to polish back up the welds. but all fit as should, shame a bout the port side rails, the mounts are not inline, and these are built in into the boat and to resett them will be a BIG job so i just put kink in the port rail, not happy with this but i will put up with it. You cant see it much really, although in the pic you can see it.

This was while i was tacking the feet on

tn_20160827_113329_002.jpg

I sat the feet on the nuts to keep it off the GRP so as not to burn the boat just yet.

Starboard side fitted

20160915_182011.jpg

There is a bigger job i was wanting to do this weekend and that was to replace the rear deck, i ordered the Marine ply on thursday for delivery, well the place i get it from is less than a mile up the road and they had to get it from there other depot 15 mile away, well they collected it yesterday but didt drop it off and they were passing my house to get to there depot. I could of got it myself if i knew they were not dropping it off. annoying.

So a few bits done and now off to fill and make good the screen.........neeeeeeeds to be nice

Edited by W+T

Thanks Steve, one thing i havnt planned is the glass and frames for the screen, how on earth can i forget that, best to sort this before i paint it. Think it will be a case of either ally or SS 25x3mm flat bolt through to either timer Sapele or more metal inner frame to hold the glass in place with rubber U seal. This week i will sort out materials, i have a local place that does all the gear for that.

http://www.aalco.co.uk/

Edited by W+T

This site can’t be reached

s5.postimg.io refused to connect.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

In that case I would either suspect your provider or possibly it's some obscure firewall setting. To discount the provider can you try switching off wifi on your phone and see what happens on 4G/3G? Again, with the firewall, you could try turning it off temporarily to see if that's the case.