A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

shouldnt you be working on the boat and not making nut and bolt men wink.pngbiggrin.png

been dry here most of the weekend, what thickness filler rod are you using to weld the stainless? are you using Pure Argon?

Morning Steve

That nut and bolt man follows me every where, the strange little man ( he was my prize when i won the fancy dress party at an McMillan fancy dress weekend when i went as the Hulk )

6129_tn_tow_bar_055_1.jpg

And yes i am using pure argon, i should not use anything else should for mild and stainless steel ?

I am using 1.6mm ceriated tungsten and 1.2 filler rods all the 316 SS.

that's a hairdresser's car rolleyes.gif

And whats wrong with me being a hair dresser. that is my own style i designed in the picture for the event.

I've had a so called Hairdressers car - a 1.7 Ford Puma, one of the most involving and fun front wheel drive cars for a long time.

It's a daft tag that was easy to forget when giving it some stick smile.png

hey me to, based on a Fiesta but better :) dont know why they didnt stick around much myself.

hey me to, based on a Fiesta but better :) dont know why they didnt stick around much myself.

Hefty price tag didn't help.

One of my all time favourite cars that, utterly useable to the limit and a bit over! loads of feedback and the engine was an utter gem.

Brakes were cack but sorted that by fitting some 280mm fiesta ST150 discs and calipers.

Wish I still had it tbh, proper raw experience compared to the electronic interruption quick cars have now.

Hefty price tag didn't help.

One of my all time favourite cars that, utterly useable to the limit and a bit over! loads of feedback and the engine was an utter gem.

Brakes were cack but sorted that by fitting some 280mm fiesta ST150 discs and calipers.

Wish I still had it tbh, proper raw experience compared to the electronic interruption quick cars have now.

I much rather old school cars, like my FTO, easy and fun ;) cant bring myself to sell it lol

I need to get this done as time is running out so after a waist of yesterday with sorting out a way to sharpen rill bits, i had to return a MM one to ry another jig type where you need to be a sciencetist to set it up lol.

And today getting up late i got a bit done. spent it all cutting and shutting this thing together. still needs a lot doing but it is taking shape, and now it may just be a narrowing of the top is needed, i have 1.6m width for the solar panel.

Just still a bit to wide i think,

what i ended up with, from a few angles as in some i dont like it but most i do, looks different also in the pics, It looks a lot better with the rails on

I made it way to high at first so them i can fettle it

tn_20160717_134428_zpsf7vb6gfj.jpg

tn_20160717_134418_zpsvhmrs0r9.jpg

tn_20160717_134434_zpsxvriazji.jpg

but then i moved the top back as i didnt like the over hang on the front.

tn_20160717_134742_zpsl7io6cpg.jpg

tn_20160717_134805_zpsiopfloqo.jpg

tn_20160717_140934_zpsbmrhoew3.jpg

still to high so

tn_20160717_140934_zpsbmrhoew3.jpg

tn_20160717_142543_zpsi0sxfpmg.jpg

Still to high so i dropped the front by 3 inch but the rear just 2 inch, this way i still have 6`6" head room at the rear of the canopy top

tn_20160717_142606_zpseqg6neam.jpg

tn_20160717_142624_zpswqmdxabq.jpg

tn_20160717_143239_zpsadkdw4zq.jpg

tn_20160717_143247_zps3zlllusj.jpg

And after a few more trimmings and rails to see how it will look, the top did loo a bit high but when the rails were all fitted this made it look that bit lower.

tn_20160717_144910_zpsbnxtaoyr.jpg

tn_20160717_144921_zpsgfipyjfd.jpg

tn_20160717_144953_zpsbij3ni97.jpg

tn_20160717_145146_zpszriqtshh.jpg

tn_20160717_145427_zpsfidn9w9x.jpg

As said the side overhang does look to much but that is giving room for a good size solar panel of around 250w, also i like the idea of fitting some down/deck lights under them to light up the gunnel at night.

At first i used 6" nails to hold the panels in place, just push them through at 45 deg angle and they hold nice while things are be altered as you can pull them out, if you dont push them down flush which just makes it harder to remove them, then, i used expanding foam and board to keep the sides inplace as it is not easy on a windy day and bits moving around, so once i got the position i set it in place, not the top though as this will be separate.

tn_20160717_125953_zpslzlh2r6y.jpg

tn_20160717_125956_zpssbtmm5mq.jpg

So not much done but as always, slowly but surly.

• Greenie 1

Can you put a point into the bottom of the 'roof'? At the moment, it makes a hard horizontal line across the top of the screens, and every other line across the boat is an upward vee

I like it!

Richard

Can you put a point into the bottom of the 'roof'? At the moment, it makes a hard horizontal line across the top of the screens, and every other line across the boat is an upward vee

I like it!

Richard

so to mirror the top front roof line?

I can but this will bring the front over hang back out. unless it angles outwards with the screen angle

so to mirror the top front roof line?

Something like that - definitely not a straight line. It gives a very harsh appearance to the structure

That foam stuff is ideal for playing this kind of game with

Richard

Something like that - definitely not a straight line. It gives a very harsh appearance to the structure

That foam stuff is ideal for playing this kind of game with

Richard

leave it with me ;)

you say that again, spent hours cutting trimming it down bit by bit, bit here bit there. standing in the middle of the road working out what to do next, neighbours thing i am mad i bet lol.

leave it with me wink.png

you say that again, spent hours cutting trimming it down bit by bit, bit here bit there. standing in the middle of the road working out what to do next, neighbours thing i am mad i bet lol.

Exactly the right kind of mad

Richard

Richard, i did forget to mention that when done the roof will look curved from the front but the top will be flat, i could curve the whole top but i want to keep it flat incase i go with a fixed solar panel not the flexi which i am thinking on getting

a few more photos might make it clear rolleyes.gifcool.png

what areas would like to be clearer, you just a lover of pics aint ya :)

Richard, i did forget to mention that when done the roof will look curved from the front but the top will be flat, i could curve the whole top but i want to keep it flat incase i go with a fixed solar panel not the flexi which i am thinking on getting

It's only the line above the top of the screens that looks wrong. At the moment it is a straight line across the boat

tn_20160717_142606_zpseqg6neam.jpg

If it was a vee like the top of the roof, it would give a less aggressive look

Richard

The ledge that hangs over the side windows looks wrong to me - personally I would trim that off to keep it flush with the top of the windows.

I am if I can. All depends on the size of solar panel/panels I can get. The bigger the better.

I'm sure your neighbors thought you were mad the day they first saw the boat. And to misquote someone "Well they aren't laughing now are they".

It'll look good. I'm sure with your grp skills it will blend in nicely with the existing cabin top. It looks a bit angular cos your using kingspan at the moment and it's all sharp edges.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure your neighbors thought you were mad the day they first saw the boat. And to misquote someone "Well they aren't laughing now are they".

It'll look good. I'm sure with your grp skills it will blend in nicely with the existing cabin top. It looks a bit angular cos your using kingspan at the moment and it's all sharp edges.

It's gone very quiet. There must be some serious development work going on.

I know that a few folk thought i was mad and thought i wouldnt get much done, have to say that i get a lot of folk passing by that say it is coming on etc etc, even delivery chaps in vans stop and the local take away delivery lads. spend more time bloody talking to them lol.

Now to whats been, the cabin top has been worked on a little weather and work has got on the way though, so when that happend i set to on the inside, it has most of the wrirng routed now, just the bilge pumps, three of them, and the fridge, incase we do get one, but going to make a coll box for now the size of a fridge so it can be replaced maybe.Oh and the bow light and horn. Rear deck lights etc can be done when ever, just want to get on with the fit out. Got a discount day at Wicks so in the net day or so i will go and get a load of gear.

My shopping list upto now.

micro gas pipe,

battens for head and seating etc

JG pipe work and fittings,

Pinkgrip, i have a new plan for insulation/lining out

6 tins of foam

screws

look at 12v lights

See what PUVc panelling they have for the head/wet room, not much on the website

see what flooring they have if any cheap, want some nice wooden TnG type.

There will be more i should think.

Also opend an account with BOC so i will be getting a good size argon this time, practice practice the welding, althugh i have decided if i can gte it good enough then i will try and get somebody to do it for me here with my rig.

so still on the go :)

you jammy gitclapping.gif , hope its is nice for you, either way its a break away from the madness of life.

I will do my best to get a bit done that is worth while looking at, a few pics of wiring hanging isnt much to look at though lol

How are you going to clean the stainless up after welding? - when you weld the tube have you put air release holes in the sections - many times in the past i have welded tube and blow a hole it when the warm air expands inside,

if you need the tube electro polishing after welding i could always put it in with a batch when i have my stainless done. but all sections would need 6mm drain holes, the picture is a polished spade i make, electro polishing gets rid off all iron deposits and weld contamination,

post-19413-0-01489400-1469773104_thumb.jpg

Edited by the barnacle
  • Greenie 1

As barnacle says, you need a vent for the expanding gas in the tube. Best place is in the center of tge mounting plates so you can't see it. Any rails that connect to each other pop a small hole in the underside near to the joint.

A 2mm hole will be enough.

I'd go for a bit of pickling paste and some scotchbrite.

Wayne, if you want to PM me an address I can post some Antox to you if you like, you don't need much.

Either that, or tap Barnacle up :)