A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

I like the look of twin stripes but don't fancy the effort of doing them smile.png

We will see when i get to it, if i ever bloody do, night mare weekend on this boat. Will need to dunk it in first to get the water line otherwise it is a waste to do even a single stripe.

Well, what an interesting thread. Showers most of the day, so I read all the way through accompanied by several tins of 'bow! Very pleasant as I had nothing spoiling or pressing.

Glad you enjoyed it, and the Bow wink.png

Now......welding..............its doing my head in. well not the welding as i can do it now, that is i can do it for a very, very short run that is before i start to either get cramp or the shakes. Not good. at all sad.png Most of the time i just cant steady my hand/fingers enough.

So i think i will hang my head in shame and get somebody to do it for me. This will be the first time ever i have had to get somebody to do something for me sad.png

This is as good as i am going to get i think, welded yes but as neat as i want it.

These are just side hand/grab rails that can be bolted anywhere. Although these will be fitted on the bulkhead sides.

post-8285-0-11139700-1471804244_thumb.jpgpost-8285-0-91476200-1471804273_thumb.jpgpost-8285-0-48255000-1471804308_thumb.jpg

Another thing is that the feet are going to have to be bolted down in situ and rail then welded on a good amount as i think they will distort a fair bit and the feet need to stay put due the the rail feet mounts are built in to he boat.. .

I spent most the weekend doing these, but to have a rest from welding i did a little more to the canopy, no pics yet of that but beefed it up a bit and drilled and bolted it down for a try out. needs to be smoothed over yet. Looks good though.

Hey, don't quit! Your welding is good

Do some more and as you get more confident you will relax and it will all come easier

Alternatively, chuck your TIG set away in a bin where I can quickly find it

Richard

Hey, don't quit! Your welding is good

Do some more and as you get more confident you will relax and it will all come easier

Alternatively, chuck your TIG set away in a bin where I can quickly find it

Richard

lol kida, it will be in one of the five we ave ;)

It not the practice i need, its the nerve damage etc, you want to see shake when fitting a lightt switch and doing other wiring, trying to get the screw driver onto the screw is not easy at times either, frustrating at times. Its going to be fun wiring the boat out wacko.png Tempted to just go with after i have slept on it. Dont have much more time as winter is getting close also.

You are going to a lot of effort to replicate something that is cheap enough to just go out and buy in the correct grade stainless!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/122075866825?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1007064&poi=&campaignid=620865095&device=c&adgroupid=27378760866&rlsatarget=pla-181484321346&adtype=pla&crdt=0

You are going to a lot of effort to replicate something that is cheap enough to just go out and buy in the correct grade stainless!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/122075866825?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1007064&poi=&campaignid=620865095&device=c&adgroupid=27378760866&rlsatarget=pla-181484321346&adtype=pla&crdt=0

told him that weeks ago, I think he just likes a challenge.

It's not them that's the cost Rach. Just made them while I was making the bow and cabin rails. Can't get them anywhere unless built to spec at a mad price.

Also making some back supports for the rear deck seats.

It's not them that's the cost Rach. Just made them while I was making the bow and cabin rails. Can't get them anywhere unless built to spec at a mad price.

Wolly has the correct grade stainless....

It's easy to miss the point, yes you can get stuff cheap on eBay, but there is huge satisfaction in making things yourself. If you can't the PayPal account has to have a battering.

I once made a stainless shower rail for my old house out of 316 just because I could, having skills and not using them seems odd to me.

All my hobbies have required the use of a welder, lathe and milling machine - some off the shelf stuff is available most required bespoke parts to be made. Boats and sidecars end up being handmade with no two alike.

The most demanding job I've been involved In recently is helping my boss build the ultimate clubman tarmac 205 rally car for his son. There is a big scene still making bespoke stuff for the 205 - at eye watering prices, it's daft not to use the combined experience of 57 years to make as much as possible in house.

Crack on mate, you are close :cheers:

Edited by gazza

Try tacking everything up then holding it in the vice in what is known as the flat position, you can rest the filler on the joint and blend it in, if you are right handed start at about 2 o clock, come round to about 11 o clock, stop, reposition in the vice and carry on, you might find that a bit easier than doing what's known as Horizontal/Vertical.

Starting at 2 o clock means you are beginning the weld coming uphill which is much easier to control, don't go past 11 o clock as you will run downhill and lose the pool quite quickly.

You can take another pass at what you have already done as well, sometimes helps to tidy things up.

Edited by gazza

Wolly has the correct grade stainless....

It's easy to miss the point, yes you can get stuff cheap on eBay, but there is huge satisfaction in making things yourself. If you can't the PayPal account has to have a battering.

I once made a stainless shower rail for my old house out of 316 just because I could, having skills and not using them seems odd to me.

All my hobbies have required the use of a welder, lathe and milling machine - some off the shelf stuff is available most required bespoke parts to be made. Boats and sidecars end up being handmade with no two alike.

The most demanding job I've been involved In recently is helping my boss build the ultimate clubman tarmac 205 rally car for his son. There is a big scene still making bespoke stuff for the 205 - at eye watering prices, it's daft not to use the combined experience of 57 years to make as much as possible in house.

Crack on mate, you are close cheers.gif

There will be great satisfaction when the boat is in the water and being used. Which will get ever further away if he keeps wasting time on manufacturing grab handles which are a few pounds to buy.

There will be great satisfaction when the boat is in the water and being used. Which will get ever further away if he keeps wasting time on manufacturing grab handles which are a few pounds to buy.

Nah, I'm not buying that. I've every confidence a few hours welding won't derail this.

Liam will know what I mean judging by the kit he plays with. Besides, it's a better way of spending your time than sloughing round a shopping centre wasting money on tat - a pastime that most of the nation seem to enjoy more than doing something productive with their time :)

I hadn't thought of that. Our cockpit combing is quite low at the transom, now we have the new cushions it offers no support at all.

I may have a think about that :)

a case of the project being more interesting than the result, methinks. I tend to suffer from the same syndrome and have to make an effort to K.I.S.S. by using available products wherever possible.

Common with car and motorcycle restorations.

I know someone who goes from one project to another and never ever rides the finished article.

Edited by gazza

Nah, I'm not buying that. I've every confidence a few hours welding won't derail this.

Liam will know what I mean judging by the kit he plays with. Besides, it's a better way of spending your time than sloughing round a shopping centre wasting money on tat - a pastime that most of the nation seem to enjoy more than doing something productive with their time smile.png

He also knows when its the better option to buy a part rather then manufacture one.

He could easily have made up the grab handle we fitted to the dashboard of NC but it wasn't worth his time and effort when we could buy one for a £10 rolleyes.gif

I dont think you get the point here Rach, the grab handles were off cuts and took all of 20 mins to make. So i would rather spend 20 mins and free steel from off cuts on maig the rails and bow rail than spend £20 or so buying them. And me and buying things online, i can tell you it would of taken me a dam site longer to choose and buy them than make them lol.

No time wasted there, 20 mins towards all the hundreds of hours spent on the rest of the boat is nothing, a lot more time spent on this blog.

The welding is more to do with making the bow rail and hand rails and other parts, which can not be bought, unless you know where i can get a set for this boat ready made.

It is in line for the launch time still, no worries which i next summer. We have had a knock back finance wise which is not good but we are determined to get it done still so every penny counts now, even the grab handle money we saved, going to struggle but i am going to get it done. Holiday abroad has been cancelled so going away down wales on a cheapo wit the family instead. Still get some fishing done :)

The bow rails I can well understand. However Im still not convinced about the handrails.

Each to their own.

This boat built in rail mounts on the cabin roof, so if i was to buy some rails they would need to have exact mounting feet distances and the correct shape which is oblong, most are round fo the aftermarket type and nothing like that will fit.

Have a look at the pictures of the rails i have made, you will see why i had to make my own. Cost loads to get them made.

Trust me Rach i dont want to waste time and money, not got mush as it is of either.

In all it has cost £120 to make the Bow rail/Cabin rails and grab handles. Not get a good Bow rail second hand for that. Yep i bought a welder but i can get good money back on that, near as much as i paid, not that i am going sell this one. Good money earners ;)

the welds look like you are trying to put to much weld on - once the weld has started just try to dip the weld rod in the pool to keep it going - if you havnt a pulse just move the tip in and out or back and forth sa you go, also you might be running a bit hot making the weld larger than you want, just some thoughts.

i understand why you are making them and i would do the same - even if they are not as neat as you would like remember you made them and take pride in them they can allways be swapped at a later date once the boat is on water and you have more time to tinker.

the welds look like you are trying to put to much weld on - once the weld has started just try to dip the weld rod in the pool to keep it going - if you havnt a pulse just move the tip in and out or back and forth sa you go, also you might be running a bit hot making the weld larger than you want, just some thoughts.

i understand why you are making them and i would do the same - even if they are not as neat as you would like remember you made them and take pride in them they can allways be swapped at a later date once the boat is on water and you have more time to tinker.

Hi Steve how you been kida, i thought they looked ok size wise, i did use filler often as i was told to use more, maybe to much now lol. I was going to do a bit more tonight as i a happy as it is now. And once fitted the rails can not be refitted later as the cabin lining covers the inner nuts up unless i make access covers to get to them, will look untidy though. Reason aswell as the windows plating up i havnt started the fit out yet.

And as WotEver says, it a tuit job then lol.

Anyway i have bigger problems, or jobs at hand now. one step forward and ten bloody back, under the circumstance i am calm, very calm, but i do wish it was Friday as i will be sat here with a few crates to go through.

I just ripped out the rear deck as i said earlier it has de`leminated on the hatch edge, i got it all t to find that also the rear lower bulkhead is also de`laminating. now that is a real pig of a job.

Before anybody says, yes i used WBP which i have used many a time in the past for trailers. brid box`s shed roofs and years after still good, on the boat i used the same grade and even sealed it with resin. This ply was from Wicks as to the usual Hawworth timber i go to, it has as said de`laminated, not a lot but more than you expect from WBP. it even peeled apart in a good area that was not damp, i ma not kiding but shutter ply has been better..

So next job before anything is new rear lower bulkhead and deck to be made from GRP.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

OMG i did all that with out using a four letter word, as T said, better to find it now that when finished..

Ahhh, yes

We were going to buy some ply from Wickes, then I read the online reviews

Richard

Did you see bad ones, bit bloody late for me though.