A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

just in the process of the screen adjustment, that the one aswell ` parallelograms ` and smaller just to big all together.

I am tempted to make a SS screen, slim and fitting in well, only wood then will be the strakes though.

Ali screens make the boat look a bit leaner, dad has a mk2 E27 with ali screens, he's always talked about me replacing the wood screens on the Mk1 but I really like them, they Look the part and are right for the boat.

It's easier to find Ali extrusion that lends itself to fitting glass - think of greenhouses frames!!

I like your wood effort but as Richard says they just aren't quite there yet though.

Notice the rake of this screen. It is flatter than any of the sloping bits in front of it, adding to the illusion of speed and movement.

Richard

It looks just right doesn't it?

You can see why I fold it when a tight bridge is encountered!

It looks just right doesn't it?

You can see why I fold it when a tight bridge is encountered!

looks ok that, but i would have the side screens squared off at the back as to triangle.

I think the shape you are looking for is a Trapezium. For the screen I mean.

nope, just looked at the shape and it is a parallelogram shape, although these will be the side screens shape, i have just redone them but need to shape a central post then screw together and trial fit it.

Notice the rake of this screen. It is flatter than any of the sloping bits in front of it, adding to the illusion of speed and movement.

Richard

ha a boaty version of a go faster stripe :)

ha a boaty version of a go faster stripe smile.png

Yes - only it is done by the structure of the boat and fittings. This is what has been the problem so far - too upright and too tall. It has looked more like an air brake than something to hide behind as the spray flies

You are definitely getting there, and your rails are great

Richard

As Richard says, the lines dictate the shape, those triangular side windows pick up the line of the cockpit side as it runs down to the gunwale, if the side windows were squared off they wouldn't complement the rest of the boat.

Another option is an all in one glass hardtop, I'll try to dig out a clear shot of my mates, I think it's in the work computer.

Drawback with that is its awkward to remove and it has to sit on the cabin roof for low bridges.

Yes - only it is done by the structure of the boat and fittings. This is what has been the problem so far - too upright and too tall. It has looked more like an air brake than something to hide behind as the spray flies

You are definitely getting there, and your rails are great

Richard

The angle has been set to the same as the front cabin angle, but as you say it is to upright, the ones i have made now, well modified from he last is a lot lower and more of an angle and parallelogram shape, Could be a bit to much but we will see asap.

Good effort on the rails. Love the vice. Proper piece of kit.

Thanks ;) and that vice will out last me, will with me having to lift it up and down of the bench out from the shed lol.

As Richard says, the lines dictate the shape, those triangular side windows pick up the line of the cockpit side as it runs down to the gunwale, if the side windows were squared off they wouldn't complement the rest of the boat.

Another option is an all in one glass hardtop, I'll try to dig out a clear shot of my mates, I think it's in the work computer.

Drawback with that is its awkward to remove and it has to sit on the cabin roof for low bridges.

Yes, i mentioned a while ago about making a GRP top, still tempted, i would do but its the wood, i am just thinking to have just the strakes in wood it will then look out of place with the rest in GRP.,

post-5269-0-10043300-1467630958_thumb.jpg

I cant find a front on shot - the screen follows the cabin roof profile and slots over it, held in place by screws andthe two rear props. Canopy hangs off the hard top at the rear and clips inside the hardtop at the sides.

No the GRP hardtop and screen frame in the picture you have postedrolleyes.gif

Your rails look great.cheers.gif

lol, i remember you saying you dont like or not keen on these hardtop things. Glad you like the rails ;)

attachicon.gifIMG_20150509_143823955.jpg

I cant find a front on shot - the screen follows the cabin roof profile and slots over it, held in place by screws andthe two rear props. Canopy hangs off the hard top at the rear and clips inside the hardtop at the sides.

Now thats what i like, better than the one i shown, after more thought driving home i think...i ay think lol, i am still going to make a GRP screen and top, but as i was with wood and need to, make it collapsible.

The Sapele i have just got will come in for the interior fit out so no waste there.

lol, i remember you saying you dont like or not keen on these hardtop things. Glad you like the rails ;)

Now thats what i like, better than the one i shown, after more thought driving home i think...i ay think lol, i am still going to make a GRP screen and top, but as i was with wood and need to, make it collapsible.

The Sapele i have just got will come in for the interior fit out so no waste there.

It's got a glass skylight type effort in the hardtop roof, makes it a bit heavy but lifts the gloom at the helm.

We take the glass out if it and the hardtop off when painting the cabin superstructure. Makes life a lot easier.

My mates airdraft is around 1900mm if I remember right.

It's got a glass skylight type effort in the hardtop roof, makes it a bit heavy but lifts the gloom at the helm.

We take the glass out if it and the hardtop off when painting the cabin superstructure. Makes life a lot easier.

My mates airdraft is around 1900mm if I remember right.

Like the sky light idea but the whole reason for this canopy is for a solar panel, should get a 150w on top if not a 230w.

Like the sky light idea but the whole reason for this canopy is for a solar panel, should get a 150w on top if not a 230w.

Funny you should say about solar, at the marina we are currently at I've come across our sister boat - one of the batch of six built for Herbert Woods - met the owner the yesterday, he showed me round and pointed out the large flexible solar panels he has on the cabin roof ahead of the screen, it made my mind up that I couldn't put them on ours as it spoils the look of the boat so much. Having nowhere else to put them due to having a folding canopies and no hardtop obviously meant they had to go there.

I'll make do with a genny instead :)

Mounting them on the hardtop roof is a much better job if you ask me.

Funny you should say about solar, at the marina we are currently at I've come across our sister boat - one of the batch of six built for Herbert Woods - met the owner the yesterday, he showed me round and pointed out the large flexible solar panels he has on the cabin roof ahead of the screen, it made my mind up that I couldn't put them on ours as it spoils the look of the boat so much. Having nowhere else to put them due to having a folding canopies and no hardtop obviously meant they had to go there.

I'll make do with a genny instead smile.png

Mounting them on the hardtop roof is a much better job if you ask me.

yes they do spoil the look, by te sounds i will also need a genny as back up for less sunny days.......months lol. I plan to have it sat in the hard top also so it cant be seen as much.

Looking forward to making the top now from GRP, darn obsessed with the stuff...can you tell lol

yes they do spoil the look, by te sounds i will also need a genny as back up for less sunny days.......months lol. I plan to have it sat in the hard top also so it cant be seen as much.

Looking forward to making the top now from GRP, darn obsessed with the stuff...can you tell lol

:)

Yeah, panel on the hardtop roof is the way to go.

Don't forget, if you are down our way (Northants) I can sort you some matting. I'd need a bit of notice to speak to the lads who make the dry glass tubes to put some by.

:cheers:

smile.png

Yeah, panel on the hardtop roof is the way to go.

Don't forget, if you are down our way (Northants) I can sort you some matting. I'd need a bit of notice to speak to the lads who make the dry glass tubes to put some by.

cheers.gif

There is a small cruiser around our way that has a large solar panel mounted on the transom. It actually looks quite good.

Don't appear to have a picture of it but we are heading down Torksey way this weekend so will grab a quick snapshot as we go past.

A far better option in my opinion then adding weight high up on a small cruiser.

I must admit to being slightly concerned about how this boat is going to sit in the water when finished blink.png

There is a small cruiser around our way that has a large solar panel mounted on the transom. It actually looks quite good.

Don't appear to have a picture of it but we are heading down Torksey way this weekend so will grab a quick snapshot as we go past.

A far better option in my opinion then adding weight high up on a small cruiser.

I must admit to being slightly concerned about how this boat is going to sit in the water when finished blink.png

The flexible ones are not very heavy - no glass in em.

Not much in the way of ballast needed :)

The flexible ones are not very heavy - no glass in em.

Not much in the way of ballast needed smile.png

I can second that Gazza I have 9 on this boat and fitted one to the camper the other day 100 watts 2 kilos at the most looks well and works well

• Greenie 1