A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

lol, its a shame they are not good on the inards, they are nice cars.......OMG i said it again,,,,,,,i am getting old, i like modern cars.

Of to sit in the FTO to see my senses i think lol.

got that save din my ebay, looks bling :)

That's the idea :)

It's a well made lamp, my boss put me on to them, he has them on a 205 tarmac rally car alongside a hella 4 lamp pod on the bonnet!

We went out last night to see what the spread was like, both me and me mate were impressed enough for me to order one each.

http://www.marinescene.co.uk/category/1764/fos-led-navigation-lights/

Waiting for a delivery of these bad boys to replace the old aquafax festoon tyoe lamps.

I've also got some red led 501 wedge sidelight type bulbs to replace the instrument illumination with, ordered on Amazon Monday, in my sweaty mits today :cheers:

Edited by gazza

It's looking really good.

There's a sunken fibreglass jobby between Middlewich and Sandbach and another one on the Lower Peak Forest between Hyde and Romiley. They both need a Wayne.

Any more details rough size i mite pop down for a walk with Zig to take a look, done a few rescue missions from the cut in the past.

( PS Mrs T say this wayne needs a £$£$%$%$%^ if gets another...........Wayne says LOL )

As for the Hull color Woll, have a look at the old Grand Banks color "beige". Looks great, and classy.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/diy/colors/paint-my-boat.aspx

Neat tool, a mate had a version when you can take a picture of a car and change it on the PC, we did it years ago when we were building 4x4 off roaders. Not a clue how he did it. Be good to find out how for this project.

I think older cruisers look well with a blue hull and white superstructure.

Now you got me thinking. It was going to to be either all white with either a brown/beige or blue tread area. I want a colour to go with the Sapele strakes and screen frame. I have looked at some with a dark blue and wooden trim and dont look to bad.

OMG we are talking about what colour to paint it :) thought it would never get here :):)

The one on the T and M at Sandbach is near Dragons Lane here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.1574612,-2.4055783,15z

It's less than 20 foot I would say and is partially sunk. Still got its bow rail though.

The other one is somewhere between Hyde and Woodley. That's about a two mile stretch. Sorry I can't be more specific but the canal is going through woodland and meadows. I reckon that boat is bigger than the other.

There;s also a burnt out narrowboat which cart are thinking about moving

The one on the T and M at Sandbach is near Dragons Lane here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.1574612,-2.4055783,15z

It's less than 20 foot I would say and is partially sunk. Still got its bow rail though.

The other one is somewhere between Hyde and Woodley. That's about a two mile stretch. Sorry I can't be more specific but the canal is going through woodland and meadows. I reckon that boat is bigger than the other.

There;s also a burnt out narrowboat which cart are thinking about moving

Thanks for them kida, i hope to get down for a walk this weekend sometime. Take a crane and tow car along just incase ;) I have seen a few sunken NB`s but it was to hard to find the owner then talk to CaRT was a dead end, not use full at all.

Thanks Boat Fan, looks a different boat already hey. The next step will look great, just trying out the new Tig welder for the rails to be made.

If i say so myself not bad first attempt.

The setting for these welds are

60amps

0 prefow (Just cheked it to do this write up and i thought it set it at 1.5 )

1.5 up slope

1.5 down slope

4.3 post flow

1.6mm rods

The steel is 2mm tube onto 2mm box section.

Now these are my welds after an hour or so practice.

tn_20160610_190341_zps2yus9ejn.jpg

tn_20160610_190318_zps1k1arwsc.jpg

tn_20160610_190250_zps6zhom2ux.jpg

tn_20160611_135844_zps6rkfnd0j.jpg

Bit i find hard but getting batter at is the keeping my hand steady, i need to rest it a certain way so my hand does not shake, And i spend more time sharpening the tungsten lol.

Thanks guys, i think they look a bit messy but then i am never satisfied with things, T say i am a perfectionist, thats why things take so long to get done.

Welding these tubes is not easy, do a little then stop in four stages. Hope it works on SS. Imite give it another few weeks practice before i do the rails, cant be waisting the SS tube at near £40 a length.

A question, i do need to resharpen the tungsten often, is this because i am to close to the job, not big enough gap? or not sharpend long enough point. i sharpen them to about 6-7mm with that sticking out the shroud.

Forgot to mention, in between learning to weld to take a break i did a bit of hull work, the port side needed a little fettle as i did on the starboard side but then i went down to the lower area, much dreaded, and this i mean by some areas that need a fettle. The more i cipped away the mor ei found the lower chine has been badly filled in the past, so lets see how it goes later but this is just the start what needs doing.

These are holes that had been filled in the past with silicon and i now had to drill out to fill with a bit better stuff like poly filler.

tn_20160611_112005_zpsbmiaasot.jpg

The chine, whats left of it anyway.

tn_20160611_105348_zpsldhrv8x2.jpg

tn_20160611_105343_zpsvmx1wnwv.jpg

I will have a poke about a little more but i think this will need a little resin and matting then filling to make good.

Have to say i sat back had a moment and then.......well it will be worth it :) and i like a challenge.

Forgot to mention, in between learning to weld to take a break i did a bit of hull work, the port side needed a little fettle as i did on the starboard side but then i went down to the lower area, much dreaded, and this i mean by some areas that need a fettle. The more i cipped away the mor ei found the lower chine has been badly filled in the past, so lets see how it goes later but this is just the start what needs doing.

These are holes that had been filled in the past with silicon and i now had to drill out to fill with a bit better stuff like poly filler.

tn_20160611_112005_zpsbmiaasot.jpg

The chine, whats left of it anyway.

tn_20160611_105348_zpsldhrv8x2.jpg

tn_20160611_105343_zpsvmx1wnwv.jpg

I will have a poke about a little more but i think this will need a little resin an matting then filling to make good.

Have to say i sat back had a moment and then.......well it will be worth it smile.png and i like a challenge.

That concerns me a little Wooly , that looks like resin starvation.

As is , it is a weak layup.

I would sack the person that did that work.angry.png

sharpening depends on if you catch or get material on them - if your not happy with the way they look try to use less weld rod and you can always go over them with no weld after for for a clean run maybe zig zagging the tip, if you have not got pulse try pumping the gun in and out as you weld, i always try to do half the tube on one run. best to sharpen the tip uphill it gives a better arc when welding. what colour tip ends are you using?

post-19413-0-22888500-1465709895.jpg

Edited by the barnacle

I fully agree, i will gte in touch with the builders if the boat and mention to bad workmanship, spots here and there all over, reason the prep has taken so long. And it is said these boats are very well built, i think an apprentice had this to practice on.

Still will plod on and go over with a fine tooth comb.

sharpening depends on if you catch or get material on them - if your not happy with the way they look try to use less weld rod and you can always go over them with no weld after for for a clean run maybe zig zagging the tip, if you have not got pulse try pumping the gun in and out as you weld, i always try to do half the tube on one run. best to sharpen the tip uphill it gives a better arc when welding. what colour tip ends are you using?

HI kida, at the minute all i have to sharpen is an angle grinder, not the best way but it does the job, i will get a bench grinder asap, cheap one will do.

This Tig welding is more like gas welding than i thought, you mention about going back over the weld, on a few runs i messed up so i tried to do then again and it filled nicely, used to do that on gas. Going to do a bit more today if weather is bad and cant do the boat. practice practice :)

Is it any real surprise given the age of boat and years of neglect it has suffered that there is some Grp work to carry out?

I suspect not.

Get it repaired and it will be good for another 40 years.

Good man,nice progress.

Glad to see the Mitsi hasn't been replaced by that French abomination smile.png

attachicon.gifIMG_20160608_220351362.jpg

My mates Buckingham with a 54w Cree 9" led lamp on.

Bit of a cack photo but a cracking lamp - £24 a pop on eBay smile.png

ETA.

Just spotted The Renault is hiding behind the boat..

Should have Gone to specsavers smile.png

You will glad to know i sold it yesterday, profit got he new oven for the boat,last of the big purchases, butt the water heater, near forgot about that.

Is it any real surprise given the age of boat and years of neglect it has suffered that there is some Grp work to carry out?

I suspect not.

I will be getting buried in this boat so better last 40 years Rach lol, If i live that long though :)

I suspect not.

Well no , you would expect to carry out repairs on any boat that age , having suffered such neglect.

However , the resin starvation shown in that photo suggests a different story.

It is the result of very sloppy , and careless work during the initial layup of the glass / resin matrix.

It shows that the glass was not wet out and saturated with resin.Those fibres are dry.That is bad work.

Well no , you would expect to carry out repairs on any boat that age , having suffered such neglect.

However , the resin starvation shown in that photo suggests a different story.

It is the result of very sloppy , and careless work during the initial layup of the glass / resin matrix.

It shows that the glass was not wet out and saturated with resin.Those fibres are dry.That is bad work.

I suspect if you look at a selection of GRP boats from the same period they will all show some signs of what would now be considered poor workmanship.

there is never an excuse for a shoddy job

there is here, i am tired of it lol.

Tired so much as to do anything this week and not having the weather to get it pained again, And today i had the a early start and finish at work as i was in the docs early morning, cracking day here for prep work......until i got hoe and sods law it rained and still is, no a lot but to much the paint :(, frustration or what.

I cleaned out the inside last night to get ready to finish the insulation and do the frame work etc etc. As said tired so having break for a day or so during the week.

Ah, but on a good note, i got a delieverey yesterday, two in fact.I have been watching these eyes for some time until i spotted some thing else i liked but nothing has come along First of the deck fittings, i bought six of these for the fender eyes and to be screwwd to the Sapele rubbing strake wich i got last year i think, not sure when i got it but it has been sat on the stairs fro a long time waiting to be fitted.

They are chunky and heavy and wil be recessed into the strake. three either side. Once recessed there will not be a good thickness ( maybe 10mm ) of the strake so the screws will go through the gunnel side aswell.

tn_20160615_175809_zpsiwar0h8k.jpg

tn_20160615_175847_zps9ddrxkzr.jpg

Now the sad bit i am still grinning at is the oven i got, did a bit of wheeling and dealing lie i do to get this, Some may see i had a Renault Megane CC which i was going to keep but in the end the money i made on it has paid for this, and i have wanted one of these ovens for all the boats i have ever had but the price has put me off and i did want to stick with a cheap old style.

I have to say i wish i had a picture of T`s face when i lifted it out the box, a big box with a small oven in it, ` cant fit a chicken in that can we` lol

I have not removed the protective film yet and will not be until it is installed, cant be scratching it now :)

Oh ad Zig approves

tn_20160615_180102_zpsaiuxd1qm.jpg

tn_20160615_180017_zpsc5r0xfl0.jpg

tn_20160615_180043_zpsu9w0meth.jpg

Back in hospital again tomorrow so if all is well i will see what i can get done when i get out,then Friday off so fingers crossed.