A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

Hi guys, first off, what a crock of you know what Wicks is, i thought BnQ was hard work, only got half what i went for, Anyway quick moan over smile.png Oh and i have so much more to bloody moan about with work, not good on the boat funds one bit sad.png

I was going to buff the rails them back up like i did with the feet, but that will not be easy with the bow rail on a bench grinder buffer, so then i thought,to pickle them. How is it done, just apply the solution then lave for a while before washing off?

Once when i was just starting out welding made a small tubular frame/stand as practice, for the life of i could not work not why i couldnt finish the weld, sent me crazy lol, I learned that part the hard way. I drilled 4mm holes in the centre of the feet already, yes a big bigger than needed but i snapped all my smaller bits.

post-8285-0-63359300-1469808101_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the offer Steve, but i will have alot to clean up, a bow rail, two long top rails and two small hand rails aswell as the engine mount plate and winch frame, and thats not for the trailer wink.png you will see soon enough;)

I will PM you Gazza, thanks.

Hi guys, first off, what a crock of you know what Wicks is, i thought BnQ was hard work, only got half what i went for, Anyway quick moan over smile.png Oh and i have so much more to bloody moan about with work, not good on the boat funds one bit sad.png

I was going to buff the rails them back up like i did with the feet, but that will not be easy with the bow rail on a bench grinder buffer, so then i thought,to pickle them. How is it done, just apply the solution then lave for a while before washing off?

Once when i was just starting out welding made a small tubular frame/stand as practice, for the life of i could not work not why i couldnt finish the weld, sent me crazy lol, I learned that part the hard way. I drilled 4mm holes in the centre of the feet already, yes a big bigger than needed but i snapped all my smaller bits.

20160729_165756.jpg

Thanks for the offer Steve, but i will have alot to clean up, a bow rail, two long top rails and two small hand rails aswell as the engine mount plate and winch frame, and thats not for the trailer wink.png you will see soon enough;)

I will PM you Gazza, thanks.

No problem mate.

Take it easy with the speed of your drill, nice and slow with plenty of lube.... :)

Pickling is done by brushing on with a 1/2" brush, wait a couple of minutes then scrub off with a wet green scotchbrite pad.

It will come as a kit.... :cheers:

No problem mate.

Take it easy with the speed of your drill, nice and slow with plenty of lube.... smile.png

Pickling is done by brushing on with a 1/2" brush, wait a couple of minutes then scrub off with a wet green scotchbrite pad.

It will come as a kit.... cheers.gif

I actually snapped the bits drilling mild steel, just to bloody heavy handed lol. And i got a pillar drill to kake life easy, cordless are good but only for certain jobs and i didnt want to bust it.

Oh i took the naff drill sharpener back and got the jig type, works great. even better than i used to be able to be able to sharpen drill bits :)

So pickling will bring back a mirror finish? if not just remembered that i have a small buffing kit some where to fit a drill.

And another OH, i just measured up how much battens i will need for the frame work, i guestimated 45m make the 65m now. i am loosing the knack of DIY i think. Even worried about welding the rails and getting somebody to come and do it for me. Need to be good, but will practice a bi more yet.

Hi guys, first off, what a crock of you know what Wicks is, i thought BnQ was hard work, only got half what i went for, Anyway quick moan over.

Totally agree. Wickes is a couple of miles from my house and B&Q is about 8 miles. 9 times out of 10 I won't even try to find what I want in Wickes 'cos I know they won't have it. There again, Screwfix is only a mile so that's by far my most regular store.

I wanted some upholstery pins a couple of days ago - had to drive to B&Q.

Totally agree. Wickes is a couple of miles from my house and B&Q is about 8 miles. 9 times out of 10 I won't even try to find what I want in Wickes 'cos I know they won't have it. There again, Screwfix is only a mile so that's by far my most regular store.

I get a lot online now, think i will stay that way, easy but it takes days for it to arrive. Just plan ahead and it is fine. Pays to shop around anyway, But still get on my tits that a big DIY store are so bad at the smaller items, i wanted JG fittings from Wicks, very little about.

not really fair - Wickes is a builders' merchant and don't really cater for the average DIY-er.

Any speciality items, like your upholstery pins, I try to plan ahead and buy on ebay.

I'm doing a driveway project at home and I buy all my materials from Wickes because B&Q is just so impersonal and you need to walk miles to find anything.

I agree with tools from Screwfix, unless I buy on ebay; bought a heavy concrete breaker a week ago, £90 delivered - did the job I wanted just fine. I was considering hiring, but the price would be about £70 for 2 days plus the cost of sharpening the points and the hassle of collecting from the shop.

Yes, with some tools it simply makes no sense to hire.

Wickes are marketing themselves as a DIY outlet these days - and as Screwfix competition with a Toolstation in many stores to boot. If I only want a small amount of building material I find B&Q very competitively priced if you have a trade card.

Nearly.

Toolstaion and Wickes are owned by Travis Perkins, a fine Northampton company :)

And B&Q and Screwfix are owned by Kingfisher.

Sorry smiley_offtopic.gif but found a wonderful DIY Store in Corwen where you can still buy one nut or bolt if required, instead of a packet of 10 as at B & Q etc.

Green Lane Corwen.jpg

Lovely ?

I remember touring Cornwall years ago in a Rover 105 when the silencer rotted away and fell off near Falmouth. I had to visits 4 different shops for the bits. First shop to buy the silencer who sent me to old 'Jack the Nuts' shop up the road for 6 nuts and bolts for the flange connections, they sent me to old 'Bert Pellywhistles' shop down the road for a Junior hacksaw who sent me to old 'Glyn Pasties' shop round the corner for a tin of Gun Gum.

It was nearly dark by the time I'd fixed the thing on in the gutter in Killigrew St.

I remember touring Cornwall years ago in a Rover 105 when the silencer rotted away and fell off near Falmouth. I had to visits 4 different shops for the bits. First shop to buy the silencer who sent me to old 'Jack the Nuts' shop up the road for 6 nuts and bolts for the flange connections, they sent me to old 'Bert Pellywhistles' shop down the road for a Junior hacksaw who sent me to old 'Glyn Pasties' shop round the corner for a tin of Gun Gum.

It was nearly dark by the time I'd fixed the thing on in the gutter in Killigrew St.

My Father in Law had a 105. It is the only car I have seen with an adjustable gear lever

I disliked driving it

Richard

My Father in Law had a 105. It is the only car I have seen with an adjustable gear lever

I disliked driving it

Richard

Yes, smooth enough but very lumbery and heavy steering. They were the slightly quicker version of the Rover 90.

It was the leaning out on corners I couldn't get used to. Otherwise a highly sophisticated motor car

Richard

Yes, they were heavy and a bit top heavy, crossply tyres didn't help but they would have been unsteerable on radials with no power steering. Strong old engines though the 6 cyl OHISE. very juicy though, but petrol was cheap then.

Can you tell we're bored awaiting your next photo instalment?

Ok Ok, i am off to get some done while its nice, been busy spending all i have on it, so bare with and ILL BE BACK :) with pics

Here we go then, not much done again but looking betetr now, i reckon anyway, only as i am happy with it and not faffed about umming n arring about it.

I got the screen out and set it in place so i could laminate it in place.

tn_20160730_170251_zpsu3kbl8ow.jpg

tn_20160730_170313_zpsfswzpwdp.jpg

tn_20160730_170331_zpsl79irehu.jpg

I left it over night to set then cut the windows out

tn_20160731_133847_zpsccm62zic.jpg

tn_20160731_142253_zps70tokk4i.jpg

A quick skim with GRP filler and nice and smooth, no need for gel coat, well the rest of the boat hasnt got much lol.

tn_20160731_142710_zpsgxj5sqem.jpg

I still need to fettle the other side but getting there. The canopy is next once this is done and will be narrowed a little now. I will need to redo the wiring, with the boat getting so warm the gaffer tape and perm foil tape i held it inplace with decided to detach itself so the most of the wiring has fell out the channels i routed into the insulation. Will not take long though and this time i will tape it inpalce just before i line out with ply.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is not an update as nothing has been achieved, but a few things have been learnt, no not to buy a clapped out boat and let it become an obsession but read on.

I got onto finishing the screen frame which infact ok and worked all good, so i guess something was done after a bit of filling and smoothing out. Then came the canopy.top, to the point, dont ever use polyurethane foam sheets and remove the foil, reason this happens when open to sun light

tn_20160806_162843_zpsowgkv8w9.jpg

That happened after just 30 mins or so in the sun. Wasnt happy as i paid full wack for a sheet from Wicks when i can get it half price from a suppliers i found local to me. So i went and made it again from MDF and timber, but then the expanding foam i used as in pic would not set after 12hrs. Then that put me back a few days, then tonight i went to laminate it and then the whole surface would not take to the PVA Blue release agent......one was pulling ones hair out, what i had left anyway, that was saying it in readable terms that would not get reported to the mods on here..

Ok, bare with me, bare all if you like and i will be back as i mite just stat again this weekend when i can get some more insulation sheets. Just not remove the foil backing.

IT WILL BE WORTH IT

LUVIN IT really :)