A Wee one to start again.

W+T

Featured Posts

I just had to do a sample of the hull paint to see how it will look, i thought it was a bit to blue in the tin if you know what i mean, i like it but maybe a bit to bright, i was hoping for a darker shade.

20161120_084441.jpg

20161120_084459.jpg

Only update is without pics but then they will look no different from the previous as all i have done is fix the lining in place and insulated behind them. Got a lot more to do so todays task after xmas shopping frown.png is to get more cut out and if warm enough fix them down.

Disaster........

We have had that much rin over the last few days i found a leak in a window frame, all i can say is i had what i call ` a moment` i sat down took a deep breath and head in hands for a few minutes. I was not a happy chappy, i can tell you.
After that i made a brew and came back and looked at the problem, all it was is that the drain channels in the frame had block up with dust and much and the water had built up over the lip, it was just a small drip but even a drip is to much no matter how often it drips.

Disaster no more smile.png

But for the Houdini is leaking again, i tried the Creep Crack when i fitted it, i will be removing it and having a go at stripping it and resealing it, i have read ll stories on these, i am sure if it can be it will be done.

Oh and good mate Gazza ;) sent me this, it needs a spring or something, i will ask him again but i think it suits nice.
Need to make a bracket to mount it as there is nowhere for it to sit but below the grab rail.

20161120_093440.jpg

I think personally I would have chosen a darker shade of blue, more of a deep navy.

She will certainly be eye catching with that brighter shade of blue on the hull though. Looking forward to seeing her painted. cheers.gif

Yes it is a bit vibrant, no where near the colour match, T likes it but then i am dont, but then we can always try it then if to bright we can go over with a more navy blue. Easy to go this Pioner paint, no prep needed ;)

WOW, this is one hell of a post, I have the same mission only on a 27ft Dawncraft.

There used to be a DC forum which i was on few years back, shame it closed down, not many folk on there was the reason i think. A coupe of old member are on here, or was. You should do a build blog, help to keep the motivation going wink.png

It has been a while since much has been with one thing and another but today i had to get the front cleats fitted, reason is so then i can get the bow insulated and lined out.

As in previous posts i have made the cleat spreader plates from 18mm ply and 3mm SS plate.

tn_20161203_105743.jpg

tn_20161203_105803.jpg

I wanted to set this in the middle of the pulpit rail legs and close to the edge, infatc the speadrs i made needed to be cut back by 15mm down one edge so they would fit, no big deal there though.

tn_20161203_110501.jpg

Drilled out with a 3mm bit first then to 10mm for the M10 bolt, trial fitted then out to 12mm hole, this is so the Sikaflex 291i will fill the bolt better. The a counter sink for s a bigger surface area and better adhesion of the Sikaflex again.

Yes the holes look out from the markings, but when counter sinking the bit needs to be spot on central and well i am not perfic smiley.png

tn_20161203_113257.jpg

On the inside i gave a good sand back to remove all loose paint and cleaned back as with the rest of the fittings, acetone was used as always.

tn_20161203_131822.jpg

Plenty of Sikalfex was used, around the holes and on the cleat edges to make sure

tn_20161203_131124.jpg

tn_20161203_131452.jpg

Plenty aded to the blocks

tn_20161203_132302.jpg

steady crank it up until it oozes out the edges of the plates, then excess can be used to seal more the ply.

tn_20161203_132136.jpg

tn_20161203_133016.jpg

Grab the nearest thing to scrap the excess from the cleat itself, and wipe away excess with help of acetone again. and jobs a good un wink.png

tn_20161203_133500.jpg

tn_20161203_133416.jpg

tn_20161203_134051.jpg

Tomorrow i hope to get a bit more lining out done, if its to cold to use the foam then i will see about the frame work for the galley or head. Oh ye, i will refit the door for the cabin first and see if the gas strut i have will do the job, cant remember the Nm/kg they are.

tn_20161203_131822.jpg

Some day you'll learn why you should take your rings off when working. If you are lucky, it's very painful and bloody. If you are unlucky, you are off to A&E for some very complicated surgery

Richard

• Greenie 1

tn_20161203_131822.jpg

Some day you'll learn why you should take your rings off when working. If you are lucky, it's very painful and bloody. If you are unlucky, you are off to A&E for some very complicated surgery

Richard

Caught it many times in the past...i dont learn lol. when i used to deliver gas cylinders, like you do and spin the 47kg`s they have many a time caught me out.

Ours is a fair bit bigger than that. It is surprising how much water and spray works it's way in there.

I am trying to find a nice outlet capping, clam shell or the likes for it, will drill it out to a bigger size then, Does the job now but when i get ropes and chain etc in there will be bits of muck no doubt clogging it up.

Have you got a lovely crescent shaped scar on your ring finger?

Richard

Load of scars but not on the fingers....yet,

I used to remove the rings when working on cars as they got in the way, then i stayed with just the wedding ring. Once got my hand stuck with thr ing under an injector pump on my old shoggy, a good 10 mins aswell until T heard me shouting for help lol. Cant teach an old dog new tricks hey.

Ah well not as much done as wanted but enough so I can get on with the frame work for the head and Galley and in between when its is warm enough I can do the last bit of insulation in the bow as i have removed the front bulkhead now, more room andall.

I got a bit giddy with the foam again. Better than not enough though wink.png

Near forgot to feed the horn wires through the top

tn_20161211_112622.jpg

tn_20161211_103406.jpg

I still need to trim back the edges of the ply but I didnt want to rush the setting of the adhesive so I have left it like this for a day or so.

tn_20161211_121438.jpg

Just to show the foam used in this way works a treat when surface are that bit uneven or difficult to use a board type insulation.

tn_20161211_121610.jpg

Just remember I also fitted a gas strut to the cabin door top section to hold it up. No pics but it works well, maybe another 50Nm will be better to lift it up quicker with less help. I had to to a bit of trial and error to get it set in the correct place as the hinge point is in an awkward place for the measurements i have for them.

Oh and the lights hanging are not going to be used as they are courtesy lights, i just wanted to see if my wiring worked before i covered it all up...and it does :)

Edited by W+T

• 3 weeks later...

So what did Father Christmas bring the boat?

Hi Rach, you have a good one?

T got me a mini circular saw to help do the boat :) I wanted one for a while but folk kept saying they are no good. My quick review is it is a great bit of kit. sheet material and battens a doddle :) fast straight cuts. no problems at all yet.

http://www.diy.com/departments/worx-400w-240v-85mm-circular-saw-wx423/1212911_BQ.prd

and a tool box as for some reason the boat`y gremlins keep moving my tools around so now i have to remember to put them back in the box. rolleyes.gif

Be sides that i got a few £££ so i got more materials to help finish the interior :)

Thinking on it now there is not a great deal to spend on as we already have the fittings but for the lights still. Just a few sheets of Sapele veneered ply and carpet for the cabin top.

I am sure there is plenty to go if I think about it properly but after a few ciders I am just thinking in hope maybe.

I have done the heads room frame work but now it has been to cold to do much else as the temps are to low for adhesives.....and all summer i had to do it mad.gif

Yeah we had a good one thanks.

Father Christmas was very kind to Naughty-Cal bringing her some new Rockford Fosgate audio equipment and speakers:)

get in there :) full on BOOM BOX :)

Happy New Year all :) I hope you all had a good start to the new year.

I am very much looking forward to 2017 so fingers crossed all goes to plan.

I have a small update to add.Over Christmas and New Year breaks I have got a few bits done. I was wanting to get the whole boat lined out I only managed to get a bit done as the weather has been so cold the expanding foam does not work as good as it cold.

Still, I managed to get the rear end of the cabin lined out a few week before Christmas so I could at least get of with doing the frame work and clad a little of the Head.

Oh darn, sat here typing this I remembered i needed to remove the Houdini at the seals have gone again and is dripping slightly so i will be having a go at resealing it.

Anyway

I have used 34mmx12mm timber for the frame work for the Heads and the cupboard for the water heater and storage. 25x4 screws and plenty of Gorilla glue, good stuff I swear by for all timber work.

In this picture all the frame work is just screwed together for now until I am happy with it. As always I do not work to plans, all in my head.

FRAME_WORK_20161231_132405.jpg

The frame work nearest to you is going to be for a cupboard and hot water heater which will be in the top right. That will be a Morco F-11EL.

It is lined internally with 5.5mm ply and will be later clad with PVC Cladding.

FRAME_WORK_20170101_154116.jpg

Inside the Head I have started to make the frame work to hold one of the tanks in place and an access panel to where the pipe work is from the tank to the pump. I have yet to decide where to fit the freshwater pump. It will be either on the back panel ( I do think the pump will be in the way, I need to measure it up yet and see where the pipe work will run ) or to the side in another access panel below the fuse box.

FRAME_WORK_20170101_154131.jpg

FRAME_WORK_20170101_154156.jpg

FRAME_WORK_20170101_154202.jpg

By this time all was glued and screwed so I decided to leave it as is for now so as not to disturb it to much for the glue to set.