Mooring tips for elderly people

Simon.Gooden

Featured Posts

How about pass the rope round a bollard, mooring ring or a pin, back onto the boat round the T stud or dolly and then pull from the bank, you have effectively set up a pulley system with a two to one advantage ..... OK you do create friction but it's still easier than just pulling the boat in direct.

Giving that a bit more thought, just putting it round the bollard and pulling from the boat would have the same advantage and less friction.

Edited by NickF

I know a 'single-handed' disabled chap who has both bow and stern thrusters and a water jet 'drive' which are 'radio' controlled, he comes along side, holds it in place gets off and moors up.

When locking, he leaves the boat alongside, goes and opens the lock and remotely 'drives' the boat in. Leaving the lock in a similar way.

Pretty much anything can be done at a cost.

Is that 'Victoria Plum' ? If it is, I met him on the Llangollen last year, a fine example of a disabled person not giving up on his boat. He did the locks single handed, never held anyone up and could progress quicker than boats with 2 or 3 crew members.

• 1 month later...

at times, (in strong winds), I've tied the stern rope to the middle rope, and stepped onto the towpath with the rope behind me..and leaned against it....and boat comes in...beats trying to pull on a rope with arms.....or pulling a stern rope while watching bow getting blown out...

• 2 months later...

Sorry if this is likely to get me thrown off the forum but assuming they get the bow into the bank is it possible for anyone who struggles to pull their boat in to have some form of temporary bow thrusters fitted not requiring major structural work on the boat.

Sorry if this is likely to get me thrown off the forum but assuming they get the bow into the bank is it possible for anyone who struggles to pull their boat in to have some form of temporary bow thrusters fitted not requiring major structural work on the boat.

There is and requires absolutely no modifications to the boat. It's called a ''lee shore''.

Edited by bizzard

Sorry should have read "assuming they get the stern into the bank.

Still a lee shore really. But what will help is to have long bow lines, bow lines that reach the helm position, leap of with it at the stern and run along to the front, tie the rope to the bollard or stake and grasp the rope as near to the middle as you can reach and PULL this is called ''Swigging'' and as you swig you may have to shorten the rope at the bollard. This performance will double the normal power of an ordinary straight pull. Once tied up you can then do even more swigging from a bottle if you wish. smile.png

I fully appreciate what you are saying and in fact it's one of the methods I use.

My question was is there any mechanical means that could be attached to a boat to assist those getting more frail or like me with a broken ankle so can't leap off.

You could have a wet box with a lid, (same as a weedbox) but mounted forward in the front well. Once the lid is removed it would be easy to mount a small electric outboard motor in there, like a Minkota, these have full pivot reverse too, and unlike a built in bow thruster it would be dead easy to clear its propeller when fouled. These motors are surprisingly powerful for their rated size.

The only trouble would be that the prop and its motor would protrude out below the level of the baseplate and so could be damaged if it's shallow near the bank. But if you know there is deep enough depth where you moor all should be good.

Another edit. Strings could be affixed to the motors steering tiller and led to the helm position via pulley's to steer it and the boat with. Just like driving a horse and cart or a front wheel drive car or a four wheel drive car with the main engine running as well, quite a boost.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

I think the sailing term is "Sweating" We use to pass the halyard round the cleat and then pull out on the halyard between the cleat and the block in the mast. As you eased in the bow you had pulled in the halyard you puled more line round the cleat.

Swigging, well Arthur Ransome called it that. smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

When we had Innisfree I installed a pulley either side of the centre line anchor point on the roof, a double length centre line was used each side with one end tied off near the steerer and ran forward, went round the pulley and back to the steerer.

Steerer could then either step off with one end and centre line would work just like a standard one, but if steerer stepped off with both ends he/she could anchor one end to the piling or a mooring pin and the other end used to pull boat in, pulley would give a 2:1 mechanical advantage. I've got a photo somewhere but can't find it.

When we had Innisfree I installed a pulley either side of the centre line anchor point on the roof, a double length centre line was used each side with one end tied off near the steerer and ran forward, went round the pulley and back to the steerer.

Steerer could then either step off with one end and centre line would work just like a standard one, but if steerer stepped off with both ends he/she could anchor one end to the piling or a mooring pin and the other end used to pull boat in, pulley would give a 2:1 mechanical advantage. I've got a photo somewhere but can't find it.

Love the idea of the pulley, we don't use them enough.

Phil

Where did you get the pulley? I have looked for pulleys but only found yachting ones that are silly prices. What size did you use?

I have a yachting pulley that only cost £7 ish, used it to double the pulling power so Chris could start her outboard, also used it for hauling large dinghies out of the water. I feel sure it would be man enough to pull in a NB, will give it a try at the first opportunity.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Where did you get the pulley? I have looked for pulleys but only found yachting ones that are silly prices. What size did you use?

Look at the Arb/tree surgery suppliers plenty of pulleys from tiny micro to big buggers

Look at the Arb/tree surgery suppliers plenty of pulleys from tiny micro to big buggers

In fact have a look at these shiny things

http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products-page/climbing-equipment/pulleys1/

They were fixed between two ply boards, didn't turn, rope slid round. I got an engineering shop to turn them up from stainless steel, 3" dia. Still got them somewhere in the shed I think.

In fact have a look at these shiny things

http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products-page/climbing-equipment/pulleys1/

Most items do not specify a rope size, or am I missing something?