Mooring tips for elderly people

Simon.Gooden

Featured Posts

Thanks everyone, there are a few different methods here, I'll get him to think about them all. Has anyone here ever used a ratchet strap to pull the boat in?

Why would you want to? A ratchet strap only pulls in a short amount of strap before you choke the lever up - it wraps a double thickness of strap around a drum in the centre. So, you'd pull the boat in about a foot, undo the strap, reset it and pull in another foot - meanwhile the boat has drifted out three feet

Learning to pull by applying consistent pressure on the handling lines is more useful. Apply the load and wait for the boat - it will move eventually

Richard

I know a 'single-handed' disabled chap who has both bow and stern thrusters and a water jet 'drive' which are 'radio' controlled, he comes along side, holds it in place gets off and moors up.

When locking, he leaves the boat alongside, goes and opens the lock and remotely 'drives' the boat in. Leaving the lock in a similar way.

Pretty much anything can be done at a cost.

Or get the boat to stop with the bow in the jaw of the lock, step off the back with a sternline, wrap it around a bollard and work the lock. Getting the boat properly tied up on lock landings is a pointless waste of effort

Richard

Or get the boat to stop with the bow in the jaw of the lock, step off the back with a sternline, wrap it around a bollard and work the lock. Getting the boat properly tied up on lock landings is a pointless waste of effort

Richard

You mean you dont have to tie off bow, stern and center line while waiting for a lock, clapping.gif

Thanks everyone, there are a few different methods here, I'll get him to think about them all. Has anyone here ever used a ratchet strap to pull the boat in?

I have certainly seen a boat moored with them yes, but quite as to why goodness knows. As Richard points out it's pretty counter productive.

I have certainly seen a boat moored with them yes, but quite as to why goodness knows. As Richard points out it's pretty counter productive.

I should firstly say I do not use them but a can see some benefit when moored for any length of time on a busy waterway. Even when moored for a couple of days I have to re tighten my mooring ropes as they stretch, with a rachet it would simply mean a couple of quick rachet. I think that is the theory anyway

bring the stern in, pop off and put a short (about 1-2 metres) rope from the stern to the bank (using mooring chain or nappy pin on pilings). Get back on, and put into forward gear on tickover, and the front will slowly come into the bank.

I have to admit I have never owned a boat that would do that. If I tried that with any of my boats, the bow would hover around about 10ft out.

By all means put a line from somewhere in front of the stern, with a working boat the back end rail (front of cabin) is ideal. Forward gear will then slowly bring the bow in, as indeed would reverse but not quite as effortlessly.

George ex nb Alton retired

A Tirfor wench to pull it in for him.

This ^

I used to work with a tree surgeon and we used it for pulling trees down!

Bloomin' cumbersome way to moor a boat though... and if that is becoming necessary the OP's dad might just have to start facing the realities of time

On reflection, I would use a line with an eyesplice in one end, threaded through a shackle fitted over a belt in the middle of the back. Tied off to a bollard, that would be ideal for mooring an elderly man. I'm working on a plan for elderly women

Richard

1.Without disembarking. Mount an electric winch on the roof and with a whalers harpoon gun with a line fixed from the winch to the harpoon, aim at a tree and FIRE!! haul boat in with winch

2. If your winchless just tie harpoon line to the boat and fire the harpoon gun at a passer-by who will catch it and pull you in.

.3 Mount back to front an aero engine with a big propellor on it on the opposite bank to where you want moor, start it up to blow your boat powerfully in.

4. To get your boat away from the bank, turn aero engine around. start it up and it will suck your boat off the bank.

5 Or mount the aero engine on a turntable on your boats roof.

Edited by bizzard

On reflection, I would use a line with an eyesplice in one end, threaded through a shackle fitted over a belt in the middle of the back. Tied off to a bollard, that would be ideal for mooring an elderly man. I'm working on a plan for elderly women

Richard

I have used this technique successfully for young people as well, to stop them wandering off. Edited by Scholar Gypsy

I have used this technique successfully for young people as well, to stop them wandering off.

For elderly women, I think the best suggestion would be a 25lb mudweight in the handbag

Richard

For elderly women, I think the best suggestion would be a 25lb mudweight in the handbag

Richard

Whaddya mean - they haven't got that already.

My Memsahib has approaching that already....

1.Without disembarking. Mount an electric winch on the roof and with a whalers harpoon gun with a line fixed from the winch to the harpoon, aim at a tree and FIRE!! haul boat in with winch

2. If your winchless just tie harpoon line to the boat and fire the harpoon gun at a passer-by who will catch it and pull you in.

.3 Mount back to front an aero engine with a big propellor on it on the opposite bank to where you want moor, start it up to blow your boat powerfully in.

4. To get your boat away from the bank, turn aero engine around. start it up and it will suck your boat off the bank.

5 Or mount the aero engine on a turntable on your boats roof.

Funny you should post that today, at about the same time you posted it I noticed that Lidl were selling electric hoists but you would need an inverter on board to power it. So you stole my thunder, but never mind.

Difficult to explain but you can obtain mechanical advantage by pressing on a rope between the boat and some fixed point.

e.g.

Line wrapped around bollard or ring and end held tight, tread on the rope between bollard and boat, tighten rope, repeat.

Line around base of a tree or fence post, end in hand, push sideways on rope, take up slack, repeat.

Alan

Difficult to explain but you can obtain mechanical advantage by pressing on a rope between the boat and some fixed point.

e.g.

Line wrapped around bollard or ring and end held tight, tread on the rope between bollard and boat, tighten rope, repeat.

Line around base of a tree or fence post, end in hand, push sideways on rope, take up slack, repeat.

Alan

See post 4 smile.png

e.g.

Alan

I think the sailing term is "Sweating" We use to pass the halyard round the cleat and then pull out on the halyard between the cleat and the block in the mast. As you eased in the bow you had pulled in the halyard you puled more line round the cleat.