Sofa beds

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

Been looking for a sofa bed that will replace the dinette area on Vidar, problem is i cant seem to find one that has a showroom where you can go along and try them out, don't like the idea of spending £400 and finding its not comfy!

Anybody know of any in the midlands area, or maybe a little further?

Thanks

Got mine from Wilsons..Dudley way somewhere....its similar to link you posted and very comfortable..I sleep on it quite often as I'm to lazy to walk the oh so long distance to bed! I did get to sit on them and they did show me how it worked and came and put it together on boat. I also provided my own fabric as had found one i particularly liked.

Wilsons usually have a selection at Crick show . If you are visiting at Kinver suggest you phone first to make sure someone can meet you , as the furnishing dept is in a separate unit to the main showroom which is by the canal . Bunny .

Wilsons usually have a selection at Crick show . If you are visiting at Kinver suggest you phone first to make sure someone can meet you , as the furnishing dept is in a separate unit to the main showroom which is by the canal . Bunny .

Different business. The sofa bed showroom is a trailer in the car park.

Although their sofa beds are good, Mr Wilson comes over as a very rude and abrupt man.

Different business. The sofa bed showroom is a trailer in the car park.

Although their sofa beds are good, Mr Wilson comes over as a very rude and abrupt man.

We found Mr Wilson to be very accomdating and very patient as we tried out everything and then went back to our boat and got a cushion to check fabric matches. We were with him for ages and then we only wanted delivery on a Saturday so we would be in the marina. All this time he was fine although he does have a strange sense of humour.

I notice that the link you posted was to Sofabedbarn. We bought a Kingston 'click clack' sofabed from them last year having seen them at the Crick show.

http://www.sofabedbarn.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/thesofabedbarn/_Kingston/487314/Kingston-Clic-Clac

I can vouch for their service, they were excellent. As far as comfort is concerned, the sofabed is at least as comfy as our double bed, possibly even better. If you or your guests are likely to use the bed often, I would recommend that you look for something similar with a deep mattress. The majority of fold away sofabeds seem to have a thin piece of covered foam which can be uncomfortable in my experience.

If you can wait till end of May, why not check if Wilsons and Sofabedbarn will be at the Crick show again. That would be a perfect opportunity to try before you buy.

I agree with Rod Bender (eh??) [24th 7:19]. We've also had a Texas (http://www.bensonsforbeds.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/Texas) for a few years. Local showroom staff were very helpful and demonstrated options eg each end of the base can be ratcheted up to provide a sloping arm/head rest and the seat back folds down horizontal to provide a ??6ft x 4ft bed base. We had a good sit/lie on it before deciding to purchase/order. The unit stands on four legs which are plenty stable for settee or for bed use (I have great difficulty getting the wife off it once she gets parked - too comfortable!). One concern I had - and suggest you think about this for anything you choose - was whether it would go through the door. I had to remove my cratch/frame but otherwise there was no problem - it was delivered to the marina from a local depot and the guys brought it through the door 'cos it was their first delivery to a narrow and they wanted a look around. Comes packed flat in a big box - you just have to mount the legs with the allen key provided. Sofa shows no signs of wear/use so far - it's finished in a dark brown semi-suede.

Edited by Opener

Tried the Texas at Bensons, didn't like it, too firm for my liking.

Still looking around to see whats out there, also went round Ikea but again they were too firm.

I understand most sofa beds are firm due to the nature of them, but really want a nice soft one, if possible.

Bought a sofa bed new from ebay for our last boat, it was lovely to look at but very very uncomfortable, second boat had a sofa bed on it, a bit scruffy, but so comfy,go for comfort not looks , nora

I forgot to mention the 'does it fit?' question.

Sofabedbarn identify which of their range are suitable for narrowboats. Ours came in sections which fitted easily through the front doors. The delivery guys assemble the whole thing for you at no additional cost. Made them the obligatory cuppa tea though.

I guess that they are not the only ones that offer such service, but it might well be worth considering companies that are familiar with how their products are suited to the NB market.

Tried the Texas at Bensons, didn't like it, too firm for my liking.

Still looking around to see whats out there, also went round Ikea but again they were too firm.

I understand most sofa beds are firm due to the nature of them, but really want a nice soft one, if possible.

One answer might be to add a mattress topper, which - depending on how the folding works - stays on the bed. My parents had a rather hard sofa bed which we found very uncomfortable. So we added a mattress topper which folded up with the bed. Made all the difference. Similarly, we inherited a hard bed on our boat, added a topper. Bliss!

The best sofa bed by far is the £299 TEXAS COUCH available from BENSONS BEDS.

Mine is very comfortable and it has been in regular use for three years. A NO BRAINER.

It actually does look like a good design with those different configurations.

http://www.bensonsforbeds.co.uk/texas-sofa-bed

Shame they don't make an upgrade in real leather. What's the faux leather like?

Edit: I had a look at one of these down at Bensons today. It's a nice design but not very comfortable as a sofa at all. I like hard beds, but not sofas where you can feel the base under your arse. So for me it's also A NO BRAINER.

Edited by blackrose

We have requested swatch samples from Nabru and will more than likely order one.

We have come to the conclusion that no safa beds are 100% comfy, you are always going to have to give a little, plus we have a nice memory foam mattress on the double in our cabin, the sofa bed will be for one of the kids should they all decide to come along, which is slim!

Thanks for your tips everyone.

Maybe this one!

http://www.nabru.co.uk/product/Ato+3+Seat+Chaise+Double+Sofa+Bed

We have requested swatch samples from Nabru and will more than likely order one.

We have come to the conclusion that no safa beds are 100% comfy, you are always going to have to give a little, plus we have a nice memory foam mattress on the double in our cabin, the sofa bed will be for one of the kids should they all decide to come along, which is slim!

Thanks for your tips everyone.Maybe this one!

http://www.nabru.co.uk/product/Ato+3+Seat+Chaise+Double+Sofa+Bed

I looked at those but the width is 5' 6". Perhaps the corner part is mobile, otherwise I reckcon it would be jn the way.