Kardean flooring

Featured Posts

We are thinking of replacing our carpet with Kardean (or similar).

My memory is that Karndean flooring is the slightly poorer relation of the even more expensive Amtico?

Not a boat application, but we were persuaded to use very expensive Amtico for our kitchen at home, it's longevity being the main selling point. Now it may be that we are rough on it, but it has not fared well, and there are lots of cuts, as well as damage where even small amounts of something hot enough have managed to end up on it. Also the whole surface has wear, despite a suggestion it should be good for about four times as long as it has so far been there.

Perhaps Karndean is more resilient, (though it looked less so, as a sample), but I'm not sure I'd necessarily expect it to survive well, (unless you are a lot kinder on your flooring than we are!.)

We have an Amtico floor in part of Daedalus, which we fitted ourselves over 20 years ago.

It is easy to do, but takes time. I found it easiest to treat it like wood, using a fine tooth saw, chisel and a block plane to shape it to size. I felt that using a Stanley knife would be a fast route to A&E, because it is very tough.

Ensure that the substrate is perfectly flat, as any small lumps will eventually show through (I missed a very small lump of paint on the ply underneath).

Also, beware that it will discolour if you do something like drop a burning match on it.

In general, it is very good.

Chris G

Edited to add.. Beaten by Alan - Yes it does scratch, but we have a "no shoes" policy in the boat, so ours has survived well. If you trail grit in and out, then I think it will get damaged quickly.

Edited by Batavia

We've had Karndean in our kitchen in the house for nearly 15 years and it still looks as good as when it was professionally laid. Problem is we are a bit fed up looking at it now. We have thought of getting it put in the boat but not done it yet.

We've had Karndean in our kitchen in the house for nearly 15 years and it still looks as good as when it was professionally laid. Problem is we are a bit fed up looking at it now. We have thought of getting it put in the boat but not done it yet.

We've had Karndean in both the house and the boat for many years and it looks identical to when it was laid. We had it laid professionally though but it was only the cheapest version with the supposed minimum life. Before any of this type of flooring is laid it is essential that the surface is perfectly flat and all joints levelled out otherwise, eventually, those imperfections will show through the flooring.

Roger

Edited by Albion
  • Greenie 1

My memory is that Karndean flooring is the slightly poorer relation of the even more expensive Amtico?

Not a boat application, but we were persuaded to use very expensive Amtico for our kitchen at home, it's longevity being the main selling point. Now it may be that we are rough on it, but it has not fared well, and there are lots of cuts, as well as damage where even small amounts of something hot enough have managed to end up on it. Also the whole surface has wear, despite a suggestion it should be good for about four times as long as it has so far been there.

Perhaps Karndean is more resilient, (though it looked less so, as a sample), but I'm not sure I'd necessarily expect it to survive well, (unless you are a lot kinder on your flooring than we are!.)

I agree that Amtico is a little more expensive but no reason to believe it's any better than Karndean. I have the latter on all floors forward of engine room and no signs of wear yet although only three years old. Note dependant on range choice there are different thickness' s in both makes.

Can recommend Karndean Victorian oak BTW, even down to the nail holes wink.png . It matches a light American oak fit out beautifully.

At home we have Karndean "marble" in the bathroom and have just (last week) had "oak" laid in the utility room.

In both cases it was professionally laid to get the makers warranty.

The stuff in the bathroom still looks like new after about 10 years.

The "oak" is very realistic.

Friends and neighbours have plenty of Karndean down and no-one has had any problems that I am aware of.

On the boat though, I have gone to the expense and trouble of fitting proper solid oak planks.

Edited by andywatson

We have an Amtico floor in part of Daedalus, which we fitted ourselves over 20 years ago.

It is easy to do, but takes time. I found it easiest to treat it like wood, using a fine tooth saw, chisel and a block plane to shape it to size. I felt that using a Stanley knife would be a fast route to A&E, because it is very tough.

Ensure that the substrate is perfectly flat, as any small lumps will eventually show through (I missed a very small lump of paint on the ply underneath).

Also, beware that it will discolour if you do something like drop a burning match on it.

In general, it is very good.

Chris G

Edited to add.. Beaten by Alan - Yes it does scratch, but we have a "no shoes" policy in the boat, so ours has survived well. If you trail grit in and out, then I think it will get damaged quickly.

I also have a "no shoes" policy. How cold is it underfoot in winter Chris?

It is only in a short section of the boat, but the answer is "not too cold" - but not as warm, obviously, as the decent carpet elsewhere (hence the "no shoes" policy). It is certainly no colder that the wooden floor in our other boat.

Chris G

Thats what slippers are for. We have Oak (real not pretend) and have not had a problem, except once for the first 12 hours aboard in January when we came aboard the thermometer read -5.1 degrees! and everything was cold it took 2 days for the plates in the cupboard to feel above freezing.

We have Amtico (antique oak) at home. It is standing up well to the wear and tear offered by two large dogs, a wheelchair user and no no shoes policy not to mention a very poor cleaner (me!). I try to look after the pear wood Karndean on the boat and it too is wearing well after 4 years of holiday use - not sure how it would fare if we were living aboard.

We are thinking of replacing our carpet with Kardean (or similar). Has anyone here done it themselves, or would you recommend having a professional?

Thanks

Steve

Thinking is best left to the professionals, in my opinion. It can lead to all sorts of problems...

ninja.gif

MtB

Another +1 for hardwearing and quality finish of Karndean onboard - I got a load second hand off eBay for £100 and have done our whole 45fter inside - it looks good, easy to clean, very hardwearing. I decided the wider plank (6") didnt really look right in the narrow space of the boat so split it all in two by running through the bandsaw.... laid it myself on a very dubious ply floor using bog-standard floor adhesive from Wickes. Secret is definately make sure the floor is as level and fewest gaps as possible and then to us the very minimum of adhesive, with a comb, and clean it as you go along. The adhesive is like chewing gum and a nightmare to get off. Lay out the centre line dead-straight and then work from one end t'other methodically and carefully. I was able to broadly follow the ply sheets so if I get a terrible leak it will mean taking up only a small number of planks to be able to lift the ply beneath.

Any cock-ups leave a bit of a gap, but if your boat's anything like ours, theyre soon filled with dust!!

Edited by TandC