CRT Make it to No.7

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

One of the reasons that CRT was formed was to allow it to secure funds that are only available to charities, something not possible in the days of BW. I don't know how successful this is but effort is certainly being made.

Like its predecessor, CRT has to deal with a minority of vocal boaters who think they run the waterways and need to be disabused of this. I doubt if the National Trust has a problem with people outstaying their welcome in their visitors car park.

One of the reasons that CRT was formed was to allow it to secure funds that are only available to charities, something not possible in the days of BW. I don't know how successful this is but effort is certainly being made.

Like its predecessor, CRT has to deal with a minority of vocal boaters who think they run the waterways and need to be disabused of this. I doubt if the National Trust has a problem with people outstaying their welcome in their visitors car park.

I was thinking in terms of a property portfolio and asset/facilities management perspective.

If not the NT then who would your comparator be?

I'll pass that one on to Bletchley park.....

I was thinking in terms of a property portfolio and asset/facilities management perspective.

If not the NT then who would your comparator be?

That I cannot comment on.

I'll pass that one on to Bletchley park.....

I don't understand some of what you say but this is an enigma.

Whilst they are 7th in the list of general charities, have a look at the payments made in some of the other categories. The Royal Opera House anybody? Or some of the medical charities. Not to mention the "faith" charities - The Church commissioners for example. And who the hell are the Daughters of the Cross of Liege?

A couple of observations in passing. CRT are more or less in the position NT were in 2013 i.e. 7th as opposed to the NT 8th in 2013.

Looking at it from the quango point of view it is more or less in the middle (3rd of 5) which isn't an unreasonable position.

With regard to comparisons I too would have thought NT was nearest but then if you consider where NT were in 2013 perhaps they aren't that far away. Perhaps the next league table will have then lower as NT are now.

With only 2200 miles of track, 32000 boats how the hell do you need 65 staff in excess of £60k to run a relatively minor system? That's less mileage than the average big city and far less moving units. One office block with 10 staff working efficiently should be able to do the job.

Whilst they are 7th in the list of general charities, have a look at the payments made in some of the other categories. The Royal Opera House anybody? Or some of the medical charities. Not to mention the "faith" charities - The Church commissioners for example. And who the hell are the Daughters of the Cross of Liege?

Ah no one expects the Spanish inquisition ........

Whats interesting here is the relatively small spread in top salaries, so ranking is almost meaningless as a small change in salary could have a big impact on ranking. The lowest salary is 120-140, so CaRTs top salary is less than twice that for a high stress job. I would not do Richards job (assuming he is the high earner) fot that salary.

Number of jobs paying more than £60k is a worry but what is the total workforce?????

80k might have been a better measure. An older top tradesman (perhaps a head of a team) working hard with a lot of overtime could just manage 60k (though probably not working for CaRT!)

...............Dave

This is the actual breakdown as of 2013-14

60-70 thousand=21

70-80 thousand=18

80-90 thousand=7

90-100 thousand=8

110-120 thousand=4

120-130 thousand=2

Then 5 employees between 130-200 thousand.

The figures above do not include the pension scheme

I'll see if I have them.

Don't put in any effort, I expect they have a different way of counting now so as to make comparison impossible!

This is a general observation about all big organisations,not just CaRT.

55million between 1555 works out at £35k each on average (less in reality due to the part timers)

I think we have to deduct the employers pension contribution, and NI etc so I expect the average salary is well below 30k.

If its actually about £20k then the top bods get about 10 times that, so at least CaRT are better than the banks!!!!!;

..............Dave

Total number of employees as of 2013-2014.......1555

Total employment costs inclusive pension £55 millions.

I should point out the figures are for full time employees.

so according to my simple maths...

1 full time employee for every 1 & 1/4 mile of canal

wonder how many casual / part time / zero hour contracts are employed with the trust on top of the 1,555 full timers?