Cleaning the glass on the log burner

Theo

Featured Posts

Up until recently I have used cream hob cleaner and a scourer sponge thingy plus a reasonable amount of elbow grease.

Then Margaret found "Wood burner stove glass cleaner" at Lakelend in Chester. It is truly magical stuff but I don't spray it on to the glass. It makes a mess. I spray it on to the said scourer sponge and apply it with that. Wipe on. Wipe off. Elbow grease use negligible!.

HTH

N

Every morning I simply let the glass cool with the door open for a few minutes then wipe with a damp rag. It's as clear as the day it was put in and I've never used any type of cleaner. I rarely burn wood so possibly that has something to do with it.

Leave the door open for a few mins to cool and wipe with a damp dishcloth.

Juniors stove glass was the cleanest I have seen.

I am working on his old boat, fitting a bedroom under the tugdeck, and thought the glass was missing from the stove it was that clear.

One question I often ponder, when using a damp cloth, damp tissue, etc, how safe is it to do it when the glass is hot? Is the glass likely to crack if it's too hot?

If its too hot you will find the water on your cloth will turn to steam and burn your fingers. So if fingers are burning then glass too hot biggrin.png

Our woodburner (at home) is halfway through its fifth winter and the glass is as new; all it's ever had is a wet cloth dipped in the ashes followed by a buff up with kitchen paper.

It might be a bit risky using solid fuel ashes for this, the glass is likely to get scratched.

ETA I've used the same bit of rag for the last two or three years, no need to waste cloth.

Also, if you're running the stove correctly, the glass shouldn't get too stained up in the first place.

Edited by Beaker

Spitting so unladylike so perhaps will try other suggestions...cannot get glass ultra clean but am a bit naff in the fire making dept

Spittle contains enzymes that can clean many deposits or even produce the best shine on your leather boots or belt - e.g. 'spit and polish'.

Carbon deposits are usually easily removed from my Morso Squirrel glass but, sometimes there is a hard, baked-on deposit that I can only remove with a sharp, Stanley razor scraper.

Every time you abrade or scrape the glass you make it more difficult to remove the next deposit.

Alan